Next Steps to Problem Solve a Coolant Leak?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamClift

I have a 2010 180 255 hp Challenger. Coolant is leaking. I took it to the repair shop to do a pressure test and they said nothing is wrong. I am now fairly certain it is releasing from the coolant reserve because the engine is getting too hot. The oil looks clean, so I believe it is not a head gasket problem (please correct me if I might be wrong). Would the next logical step be to try and see if the radiator tubes are clogged? Maybe I sucked in some weeds (I don't think so, but I hope might be wrong.) Any other steps I should try? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sucking up weeds won’t affect the coolant system. It is a closed loop system. It would only affect your exhaust system.

Are you sure it is engine temp?

When I idle coolant doesn't appear to be leaking, but when I was driving between 15 to 25 it started to come out. I made the assumption it was because it was overheating, but I will be the 1st to admit i do not know.

Maybe you just need a new pressure cap (or whatever it is called on a boat). I had a similar issue on a car and a new radiator cap fixed it.

Did they test your coolant mixture with a hydrometer? More water than antifreeze I believe would cause your problem. Also as mentioned your rad cap could be defective.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll for sure try the cap as it only starts leaking through the release tube when the engine really heats up. The cap may not be handling the pressure. I have only used BRP mixed coolant, so the water ratio should be fine. The shop said they pressured tested it for three hours and was fine, so the cap makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back