Next Level Ski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
He already has a spi that got smoked by the GTX so it being tippy wouldn't be new to him and he has 2 3 seaters for multiple riders. Selling the spi and getting a xp or spx would make it so all of his skis have the same motor

Agree for solo riding. But for me being 50/50 solo/2up, the RX is awesome. I hated not having reverse with my gsx. What a PITA when by the dock. My RX will still GPS 60.5mph. If you run two even somewhat regularly, I’d say it’s worth it over the smaller skis.

Coming from the OP’s 787 GTX, I think he’d feel a little loose and tippy on something smaller.

I have a 1996 SPI and it is kinda tippy but it is fun to get stoopit on. LOL

I have a 1996 SPI and it is kinda tippy but it is fun to get stoopit on. LOL
I think you are in the market for an X4. Too much fun! I have a GTI, GSX, 2001 XP 951, HX and my favorite ski is the 1996 XP, although I haven't been on the HX yet.

I think you are in the market for an X4. Too much fun! I have a GTI, GSX, 2001 XP 951, HX and my favorite ski is the 1996 XP, although I haven't been on the HX yet.
How far will it throw you when your level of stoopit exceeds your level of skill ??!

Actually it's not bad. When you start adding sponsons then your chances of getting pitched hard go up exponentially.

You don't get road rash is the only difference. You might even have to pull your trunks up and rezip your jacket while the game warden asks you if you're okay. Just laugh, say hell yeah hit the key and drive off. I truly love the GTXs that you have and you need a x4 to finish it off. Sponsons arnt scary, but make a BIG difference, both of my skis have racerxxxs sponsons(already on the skis when I bought them) and they hook like a space shuttle.

So I am thinking sponsons on jet skis are like race rubber on motorcycles. :) I did some reading on sponsons when I got the SPI last year but it seems they have to be installed correctly to work properly. I read that some people were not happy after installing them probably due to incorrect installation or just not a good application. I found a couple of the skis you guys mention. The owners are very proud of them. Ha ha

How difficult would it be to take the engine of a 96 GTX and install it in a SPI. Would that be the same or close to an X4 set up? I have a complete donor GTX with electronics.

The SP isn't exactly an X4 so no. Also the engine will not bolt in and isn't worth the trouble to reglass new mounts. Just find an X4 to begin with.

I agree.... but I'm only gonna buy one if it is real cheap. I'm gonna rebuild it anyway. If you guys find one in my area give me a shout. I got 3 skis now and soon to be a 4th. Maybe I should get the GTX donar running, sell it, and get an XP.

I found an interesting HX but that ain't for me. I was going to ask for input about it. Only 85 HP :D

Last edited:
So the HX is a strange bird. It’s a one person ski and rails like a motorcycle on water. Top speed is only 45. But those that have them swear by them. I did a resto on one but haven’t ridden it yet.

Hx’s are fun, especially with an 800 in it. But thats a lot of work to do that. X4 is best for making smiles, hands down. Ive picked up a few 96xp’s for only couple hundred bucks. Engines need rebuilt but there complete and a good starting point. Usually descent shape hull wise that can be repaired with some buffing and cleaning.

Hx’s are fun, especially with an 800 in it. But thats a lot of work to do that. X4 is best for making smiles, hands down. Ive picked up a few 96xp’s for only couple hundred bucks. Engines need rebuilt but there complete and a good starting point. Usually descent shape hull wise that can be repaired with some buffing and cleaning.

That's me. :) Depending on the condition.... Less work for me, more money for the seller but I always go through everything I buy so why pay top dollar when you are going to do the work anyway.

Well... I found (2) 1996 XPs and a SPX about 3 hours from me(package deal) They all look like junk and need a lot of work. Problem with me is I'd have to fix all three. :) I am tempted though. The thought of the 787 in that small hull just gives me a "grip it and rip it" attack. LOL I can get a running version for $1500 and that one looks like a 97. I surely don't need another ski and all mine are pretty darn good now. I'm doing the wear ring on the SPI today. That thing should be smokin good after this.

He already has a spi that got smoked by the GTX so it being tippy wouldn't be new to him and he has 2 3 seaters for multiple riders. Selling the spi and getting a xp or spx would make it so all of his skis have the same motor

Man !!! That is a terrific reason that justifies the XP !! LOL Gonna hurt to sell the SPI though. I gave and am still giving that SKI a lot of love and attention. I am replacing the wear ring today and just finished going over the fuel system with a very keen eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back