Status
Not open for further replies.

mws922

Thanks for adding me to this forum. So my girlfriend just purchased 2 sea-doos. One is a '92 and the other is a '93. They both run and they were just out last Labor Day. We have no clue on maintaining them or checking to see if they are ready for the water so I need some advice. The '92 is a GTX with a Rotax engine. The '93 is a GTS. Looking to change the oil, fuel and maybe the plugs.

Always a good idea to service the carbs and fuel system on these.

You don't "change" the oil on these as they are 2-strokes but you have to make sure you are running the correct API-TC spec oil and not outboard boat oil.

And...welcome here.

Always a good idea to service the carbs and fuel system on these.

You don't "change" the oil on these as they are 2-strokes but you have to make sure you are running the correct API-TC spec oil and not outboard boat oil.

And...welcome here.
Thanks for the advice. I will ask the previous owners what oil they were using so I can make sure that I'm following their routine.

Easiest is to pull the tank so you can clean and rinse it out then you need to get the oil out of the rotary cavity, replace the oil filter and put in the correct oil.

Easiest is to pull the tank so you can clean and rinse it out then you need to get the oil out of the rotary cavity, replace the oil filter and put in the correct oil.
Are there any videos on how to do this? I've been looking but can't find anything specific to these models I have. I have never worked on sea-doos but I am mechanically inclined since I do maintenance on my own motorcycles.

Another really important thing before you start working on these is to ask questions BEFORE you start tearing into things. One of the most common issues we see is the use of aftermarket fuel system parts like fuel selectors and rebuild kits. ALL of the aftermarket parts that touch fuel are junk! I can’t count how many times someone has slapped a cheap Amazon carb kit on their ski and then been in here asking why it blew up or doesn’t run right. Do a quick search on the forum before you buy anything for the ski so you know what you can skimp on and what you can’t...

Another really important thing before you start working on these is to ask questions BEFORE you start tearing into things. One of the most common issues we see is the use of aftermarket fuel system parts like fuel selectors and rebuild kits. ALL of the aftermarket parts that touch fuel are junk! I can’t count how many times someone has slapped a cheap Amazon carb kit on their ski and then been in here asking why it blew up or doesn’t run right. Do a quick search on the forum before you buy anything for the ski so you know what you can skimp on and what you can’t...
Thanks for the heads up. Knowing nothing about this I will definitely ask for advice on here before I tackle a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back