Newb - which 90’s Seadoo?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jris88

Hey Everyone! New to PWC's here -
I'm leaning towards getting a 90's era Seadoo.

I'm currently deciding between looking for an X4 based hull XP or SPX, a 97+ XP, or a GSX - looking for advice. A few things to consider:

I’m young-ish and want some excitement but I am new to jetskiing. I'll be taking this out mainly on Lake Hopatcong in NJ - it tends to get very choppy given the amount of boat traffic out in the peak of the summer. I want to have fun but I do not want to be tipping over and airborne all of the time. Also would be nice to take a second rider out on occasion but not a deal breaker.

Did some research and this is where I’m at (and correct me if I'm wrong ):

X4 hull XP or SPX
PROS - Will be the most fun/fast - best looking.
CONS - Will be a rough ride in choppy water (which I will be riding in a good majority of the time)
Can't really ride with 2.
QUESTION - Will the ride be bearable or will it be unenjoyable - especially for a novice rider?

97+ XP
PROS - New more stable hull design.
CONS - Still not as stable as the GSX.
QUESTION - Are they significantly more stable than the older XPs?
Will I be able to ride with a second person ocassionally?

GSX
PROS - Most stable.
Can ride with two.
CONS - Less fast/agile.
Not a fan of the red/purple / beefier looking hull.
QUESTION - Are these significantly more stable than the 97+ XPs?

Would really appreciate any advice you might have given all of this.

What ski should I get?

Thanks!

-John

If you want handling you're always gonna give up stability. Think Extreme on one end and boring on the other. LOL

I have had all 3.
Worst in rough water by far, punishing world be a good world and worst with a passenger is the 1996 XP, SPX. Most fun on smooth water by yourself.

Most boring by far GSX but best fuel range and with a passenger and good in rough water.

1997 XP best by far in rough water, fun with an inside lean turn like a motorcycle. Very difficult with a second passenger unless it’s a kid and very hard to deep water board with two.

If it was me on your rough lake, 97’ XP.

Thanks for the replies!

Wow mikidymac, so the 97+ XP is actually better than the GSX in rough water.

...that makes my choice easier lol

I have a 96 GSX and often ride in the ocean. Love that ski, but I have 2 kids and ride 2 up often which played a big role in my choice of ski. I have the sponsons up and the kids really like how it slides in turns. Often too choices are influenced by availability and condition for these old skis, happy hunting!

I have had experience with a GSX limited (951 motor) and a 97 XP (787 motor) The 97 XP handles chop very well however the 787 felt a bit underpowered so I would definitely go for one with the 951. As for the GSXL it is my favorite ski. Jumps out of the water, 360s, 180s, a ton of fun. I am 165 punds and If my passenger is under 170 pounds, deep water boarding is fine and you can idle around without tipping. However if your passenger is above 170 you have to get on the gas and stay planed or it will tip. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20201021_112742.jpg
    20201021_112742.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201021_112757.jpg
    20201021_112757.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201021_112805.jpg
    20201021_112805.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201021_112813.jpg
    20201021_112813.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201021_112821.jpg
    20201021_112821.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks again for the info guys and thanks for the pictures Mraw, looks like a lot of fun.

TwoSmoker, I think youre probably right - may come down to what is available.

I would also perhaps warn you about the 951, a powerhouse to be sure but can be finicky and often considered less reliable than the carb’ed 787/800. Be sure to read up on both motors prior to pulling the trigger.

Also when you go to check out whatever ski you get be sure to buy or rent a quality compression tester. 130 to 150 for the 720 and 787. 115 to 135 for the 951. No more than a 10% psi difference between cylinders.
Make sure to water test the ski, running on land means nothing for the water.

Last edited:
It may also be worth it to find a ski that was not used in salt water. A ski used in salt water without proper care can result in a lot of extra headaches. It might be a little bit harder to find one in New Jersey, but at the very least you should make sure the previous owner flushed the ski after use in salt water.

^^^^^^ what he said, when I worked on a 97 xp from salt water it was complete hell, snapped and corroded bolts everywhere.

Last edited:
The 1997 XP is a little slower than the 1998+ but has a lot less engine issues and requires less maintenance.
I have a 2001 XP and ride with 3 1997 XP's all the time. The difference is speed is really not that great and they keep up no problem.
The 1997+ XP hull really doesn't slide and do 180's and 360's like the others it just sticks and turns hard. The few times I rode the GSX's didn't do anything bad, they were just boring in my opinion.

Your decision also depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing. If you're going go out on your own and ride up and down the lake then you'll lean more towards the 97+ xp, if you're still going to cruise up and down the lake but you'll be bringing a passenger more often than not, then the gsx might be better. If you want to stay in one part of the lake doing sharp turns and 180s, then you might want an x4. Keep in mind that all of the skis will be fun and will be able to do all of those things in some capacity.

I will respectfully disagree that a GSX is boring, far from it. To me my 96' GSX with the 787 does everything great, it flies across the water, even in moderate chop. With the 787 you can see mid to upper 50's on GPS. It's got a big ass 15 gallon tank so you can stay out a while and cover some distance if that's your thing. To me it's plenty agile and snappy, at least with the 787, you can really whip it around if you want, the limited model with the 951 is heavier but will get more on the top end and mid range punch. It's a great all round hull, fairly stable, less with 2 people though...

Last edited:
I have had a 96 xp and it was a wave jumping monster. A lot of fun in the surf. Bought a 97 in 97 and loved it but traded it in for a 99 and the extra horsepower does make a big difference im my opinion. I believe this hull design is the most fun ride for of all seadoo designs. We have 4 90s seadoos at my camp and most people will choose the xps over the gsx or gtx. As some have mentioned thry r not the best for deep water boarding with an inexperienced passenger. But as u gain experience its not too difficult.

i would go with the GSX. the 787 is a great motor and is super easy to work on (you will need to rebuild/service a few common parts after purchase) . if you are worried about the chop of lake hopatcong, i think you would really be happy with yourself for choosing a more stable ski. you should be able to hit north of 50 easily on that too, especially on a calm day. i ride in jersey with a 96 gtx. same engine and ski as a GSX essentially except with 1 more seat. If it were me, id go for the most stable one, the GSX

The op is “youngish” and looking for something exciting.

In my opinion not the demographic for a GSX. For someone looking for a fun family ski that’s stable and good for 2 up absolutely the GSX is perfect.
Not bashing on the GSX at all as there are 5 of them in our group but when the guy’s go out to rip and ride hard the GSX’s are always on shore. When we have new people out and kids the GSX are the first choice.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Think of the GSX as a faster and more maneuverable GTX. That’s why they used it for endurance racing back in the day before the three seaters started becoming popular.

If you ride on a large rough lake and cover a lot of distance it would be pretty hard to beat a GSX but the 97+ XP would be a little more comfortable with the shock seat.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone! New to PWC's here -
I'm leaning towards getting a 90's era Seadoo.

I'm currently deciding between looking for an X4 based hull XP or SPX, a 97+ XP, or a GSX - looking for advice. A few things to consider:

I’m young-ish and want some excitement but I am new to jetskiing. I'll be taking this out mainly on Lake Hopatcong in NJ - it tends to get very choppy given the amount of boat traffic out in the peak of the summer. I want to have fun but I do not want to be tipping over and airborne all of the time. Also would be nice to take a second rider out on occasion but not a deal breaker.

Did some research and this is where I’m at (and correct me if I'm wrong ):

X4 hull XP or SPX
PROS - Will be the most fun/fast - best looking.
CONS - Will be a rough ride in choppy water (which I will be riding in a good majority of the time)
Can't really ride with 2.
QUESTION - Will the ride be bearable or will it be unenjoyable - especially for a novice rider?

97+ XP
PROS - New more stable hull design.
CONS - Still not as stable as the GSX.
QUESTION - Are they significantly more stable than the older XPs?
Will I be able to ride with a second person ocassionally?

GSX
PROS - Most stable.
Can ride with two.
CONS - Less fast/agile.
Not a fan of the red/purple / beefier looking hull.
QUESTION - Are these significantly more stable than the 97+ XPs?

Would really appreciate any advice you might have given all of this.

What ski should I get?

Thanks!

-John
I too am new to this water sport. I was introduced very quickly when I purchased a 1998 seadoo fax limited for $900. Had it out in the water for my first time this summer. AS often as possible too. Fast? Fur 22 years old to get up to 63 mph was just incredible to me. It still needs carb overhaul and I understand it will do 70 once I get the carbs done. You want a fun ride in rough waters? I think this gsx limited did just fine. It has the 951 engine. The only thing now is that I have to purchase a MPEM. This year is the only year that every electronic component seems to be part of the main board. Butt with an after market board I understand it won't be as susceptible to having electrical problems that it developed late in the season this year. If you're looking at a used one hopefully you are mechanically inclined or prepared to pay for repairs. They're will be bugs h showing up no matter how good something appears to be, or runs, every part had a shelf life and will break down. You're looking at 20+ year old skis. The seller may not even knows their is a problem developing and it may not fit years yet but. You don't know it's true history. But even with having things break on it used ones are usually the better monetary deal.

The ski will not ever hit 70 stock. Max 60-61. Every seadoo 97 and up used the new style integrated MPEM

Thanks again for the help guys!

I actually found a nice 98 GSX. I was ready to pull the trigger on it but it did not have a trailer. I found a trailer locally, the trailer owner actually had a '93 XP on it that supposedly 'just needed a starter'. He asked if I wanted it and included it with the trailer.

SO after much debate, I held off on the GSX - going to wrench on the 657 XP a bit, hopefully try it out in the spring and then look for a GSX.

Standby for another thread on my XP saga so far......

Nice. Some experience on that xp will help you figure out what kind of riding you like, and it will be a good opportunity to learn about how your ski works.

What color was the engine and hull on that 98 GSX? Wondering if you might have stumbled onto a Gray Ghost...

TwoSmoker, It was a white hull with yellow/gray/black decals and a yellow seat. The engine I think was a 787, it had the flat top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back