New vs. Used

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish2468

Save 5-7k on used machine (2013 ish) and trailer or buy new with 3-4 yr warranty?

Expect to have machine for 5+ years.

Seems like new and warranty is safer.

Your thoughts?

It depends on many factors. A new may be right for you, but if you're a good mechanic and don't mind, used may be a better option. Sea-Doo develops exceptional service manuals. Keep in mind, that even if you go with a new ski (with the warranty), that warranty will not typically cover off-season storage preparation.

If you go with used, you'll need to put together a checklist for things to look over on the used ski so you don't overlook any glaring defects. Additionally, you'll want to put the used ski in the water to see how it runs.

If you can find something maybe 2 years old for 5-7k cheaper than new Then I would go used, and buy a service contract for it and you will be ahead of the game by far. Contract will probably cost you around a grand for a few years of service. Just get a good contract. I don't know of any for boats though so don't ask me, I bought a new spark because there are no used ones around me, I guess people like them.

I bought my 1st ski used and spent more time fixing it that riding it. Bought a new Wake 155 and it has been trouble free for over 4 years. I do my own winterization and service. Cost was worth the peace of mind for me to know the history and that I wasn't buying someone else's problems. Purchased a new leftover from the previous year at a boat show so saved $1,500 over current year price plus got the boat show special of 4 year warranty.

I just picked up a 2015 GTI SE 130 with 11 hours (trailer, cover and a few accessories). Saved $3500 over buying new and still have 8 months of warranty left. I went this route as it seems with good care these crafts are pretty reliable so I shouldn't need the warranty anyway.

I would also check for the almost brand new used ones. Here in Florida, it's pretty shocking that you can find PWC's of all models that were bought last year, had 20 hours put on them and the owners are then selling them. Blows my mind. Having said that, I bought mine new because I didn't want to buy a used ski with a supercharger. Here soon, my wife and I are going to buy an N/A ski for her. We will buy a used one for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back