New to the hobby, thought I'd say hello.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pawn

Hi all: I've been lurking in here since the Spring and I've learned a ton from some obviously knowledgeable yet generous people willing to share.

I bought a 95 XP 717 in early June. I've always wanted some kind of watercraft but I've never considered myself a boater so a Sea-Doo was perfect for me (if only to have the freedom to come and go from a buddy's water access cottage). Plus I have a 6 foot wide strip of land with a double swinging gate I put in beside my house that was just itching for a toy. I bought it off a kid that sold it on Kijiji for $2k with trailer (Canadian, something like $1,500 USD at the time). I didn't know if it was a high price (probably was) but I didn't care too much because I was just dipping my toe in the water and worst case scenario I was getting a decent trailer and a beater I could screw around with. I researched a little before looking at it and and it was obvious the fuel lines had been replaced and a few other things I knew to check looked good.

The good so far:

- I took it out 6 times this summer, probably put 20 hours on it and the engine ran like a champ. It was a little funky to get started sometimes when warmed up and there was one incident (ever) where it died when I was riding about 10 minutes into a river run, but it started right back up after a few seconds (I'd love to hear opinions on this - reliability is a big deal to me, not looking to get stranded).

- I was horrified after buying it when I read that these hulls are difficult to get back on after falling off because my first time out was on Lake Ontario and I was probably 1500 feet off shore at one point. I'm 6'-3", 235lbs. My next time out was dedicated to seeing if I could get back on it and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that hard. First time took a few tries and the only time I've actually fallen off accidentally after that I pulled myself up no problem.

- Oh yeah, and I had fun.

The bad so far:

- I was really hoping to take my kid out with me. He's almost 14 and in these parts you need to be 16 to operate a PWC. I had no idea there was a weight limit or anything. Me and him went out on my dad's Sea-Doo many time no issues, but I quickly learned an XP hull is not suited for two people weighing about 375lbs total. Very tippy and not gonna happen. I'm not sure how much he cares at his age about going out with the old man so maybe not a big deal. Same goes for wife.

- Lots of cavitation. I assume it needs a new wear ring and that will be the first job next spring. I already bought one on eBay but it's aftermarket and I have already decided to take the advice of the awesome people here and get an OEM one.

- None of the gauges work. I already replaced the tach and VTS gauges merely for cosmetic reasons because the old ones were foggy and cracked badly. Didn't replace the multi-function because it's not in bad shape but I have no idea if it's any good otherwise. I will likely be looking for help next Spring with getting these working because several wires are disconnected and it looks like maybe some custom wiring has been done (I'm guessing fuses were blowing). I'd love to get everything working before taking it out (just because).

- VTS doesn't work (I'm sure that's a shock). I bought a VTS replacement kit
online and I know I have a good gauge (needle goes to highest setting with power) and it looks pretty easy to install so I'm confident that will be no sweat. Bought a new motor too.

The only other things I've done so far are clean up the hull a bit and the steering column pad was moldy as hell and nothing would clean it so I painted it with Klenk's epoxy paint and it turned out ridiculously well (I was expecting a disaster) and the colour matches the seat vinyl almost perfectly. I would recommend this to anyone it worked so well. The trailer lights were also not working but finding the worn points in the wiring was a joke and took me all of 20 minutes to fix up. I'm guessing the kid who sold it to me thought it was a major problem. The trailer is mint now.

I winterized it last weekend. I did everything I think I'm supposed to (filled up tank, added stabilizer, flushed out motor, tilted machine to run any water out, fogged motor at carb intake with motor running, pulled plugs and ran it through there, antifreeze in the water intake with the outlet pinched off, a little antifreeze in the muffler, fuel off, battery removed - will put in trickle charger). The only thing I didn't do that I saw recommended was change the impeller pump oil. I know I have to pull this and change the oil when I change the wear ring next Spring. I hope it's not a giant risk leaving it for the winter but either way, not happening right now.

Anyway, sorry for the boring story, been waiting for a while to tell it though :)

Talk to everyone soon.

Open your wallet and hold on......

Seriously, they're a lot of fun. I'm just whining because I need an engine LOL

As for the pump, sounds like you need a wear ring anyway. Why don't you pull the pump off and rebuild it over the winter. If it has water in the oil you don't want it sitting that way all winter

Sounds like you did everything correct.

I would suggest rebuilding the carbs and verify you have the correct oil.

Open your wallet and hold on......

Seriously, they're a lot of fun. I'm just whining because I need an engine LOL

As for the pump, sounds like you need a wear ring anyway. Why don't you pull the pump off and rebuild it over the winter. If it has water in the oil you don't want it sitting that way all winter

Yeah, even as I was typing that I was thinking the same thing, I may get off the couch and do it. :)

Sounds like you did everything correct.

I would suggest rebuilding the carbs and verify you have the correct oil.

Interesting enough, the oil could have been my first big mistake. I didn't know 2 stroke oil from shinola, except for what I put in my weed eater, and I went out and bought the first thing thing that looked appropriate (Mystik JT-4). Subsequently I did some research and realized it's not a bad choice but I could have really screwed up in this area.

Thanks for the advice, I would love to rebuild the carbs, it's on the list for sure.

When you have the carbs off make sure to replace the small 3/32" oil injection lines and oil filter for peace of mind.

As for the cavitation, we started to have some at the end of the season on our 05 GTX 4 TEC Non-Turbo. As we pulled the jet pump, we noticed we needed a reman impeller. After getting the tools for the job, we noticed the housing needs to be replaced also. It has similar marks as the impeller, so you might want to check that if your back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back