New-to-me '94 SP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Land

New guy here. (I posted a hello in the Meet and Greet forum.)

Yesterday (Saturday) I bought a '94 SP.:thumbsup:

I've been casually looking for an older PWC to knock around on. My brother called me Friday night and said that he had a line on a Sea-Doo for cheap. How cheap? He thought $200. He had the phone number of the guy (a customer of his in his tree-service business) and got more info and set up a meeting for us. The asking price was actually $250.

I went up yesterday (Saturday) to look at it. It was in the back yard under a Sea-Doo-branded cover, the trailer hub deep in pine needles. We pulled the cover off. The little boat looked good -- especially for something that had been sitting out in the weather for a lot of years. That cover really helped.
IMG_20160220_164436605.jpg

As you can see from the picture, the registration ran out in 2003. Yep, she's been idle for a while.

We pulled the seat off and found a very clean engine and a very clean hull interior.:hurray:
IMG_20160220_170113501.jpg

The seller (a gentleman named Ovid; how cool is that!) said that he had bought the SP in '94 for his son. His son went off to college in '98, and they used the boat very, very little over the next few years until it got used for the last time and parked in the yard under its cover in '03. He estimated less than 50 hours total use. He was "pretty sure" that he had had it winterized before he parked it that last time since, he said, "I always did. I don't know why I wouldn't have that time." The condition of engine and engine compartment certainly seem to suggest that it had been put away correctly.

I offered him $200 (hey, ya gotta try, right?:blush:). He thought a second and said, "How about we stay at $250, and if the engine is shot, I'll give you your money back." I took the deal.

We pumped up the tires (the trailer's gonna need some new ones), I paid him, we did the paperwork, and we pulled it to my brother's house about two miles away. The tires stayed up for the trip.:hurray: (I live about 35 miles away. I left it with my brother.)

My brother, his neighbor and I started messing with it. We pulled the plugs, greased the shaft, sprayed some lube down the cylinders and turned the shaft. So far, so good. We stripped off the air cleaner and cleaned the little bit of varnish off everything. We hooked up a battery and turned it over. Compression seemed good. (We didn't do an actual compression test.)

We cleaned the plugs and put them back in, put in some fresh gas and started it up. It took a couple of tries spraying carb cleaner up into the airbox, but pretty soon it was starting up without it. We only ran it for a few seconds at a time because we didn't have any water hooked up and running through it, but it was a joy to hear it run. It sounded good and strong.:hurray:

It still is going to need some work and a good bath, but I am really pleased with the purchase. We have been doing a family camping weekend over Memorial weekend for the past five or six years, and we get a lot of use out of my brother's old Waverunners. I'm looking forward to adding this Sea-Doo to the mix.

All the best,
Chris

Sounds like you did well. Be careful about running it on either or carb cleaner as there is no oil getting to the cylinders.

Drain and clean the tank. Id probably change the fuel lines for the simple fact they are old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you did well. Be careful about running it on either or carb cleaner as there is no oil getting to the cylinders.

Drain and clean the tank. If probably change the fuel lines for the simple fact they are old.

Thanks for the feedback, Coastiejoe. I think that I'm really going to like this forum.

The fuel tank was dry and clean from the storage, fortunately, and the fuel lines look good. I'll be keeping an eye on the fuel filter to make sure that the fuel lines aren't coming apart on the inside. I'll change them if I see any signs of trouble. This thing was stored before we had ethanol fuel available in this area, so I'm hoping that it won't need much in terms of the fuel system.

We did start it on carb cleaner, but we had lubed the cylinders from the top when we had the spark plugs out to clean them. It started running on the fresh fuel and oil in its tanks pretty quickly. It now starts up readily without any aerosol help.:hurray: My brother messaged me a little while ago that he started it up with no problems today. :hurray: We haven't really run it for more than a few seconds at a time so far. I'm going to go up in a bit and may put it in the water if we have time before a family supper.

I'll definitely take more pictures.:D

All the best,
Chris

looks like a nice ski for the price. As for the fuel lines, if it has the gray tempo ones replace them as they are trouble, as you'll find out doing some reading on it.

You got a great little ski on the cheap. They are very fun for only having a 580 engine.
Now, we are going to be honest with you and try to make sure your family weekend goes as planned. We have seen this hundreds of times here where someone gets a new to them ski, adds fresh fuel then blows it up. The list I am about to give you MUST be done before you go out and ride it or you will blow the engine. This thing has been sitting for over 10 years and rubber parts go bad. The problem is the fuel system parts go bad with age and the engine will starve for fuel. When this happens in a 2 stroke no fuel means no oil or lubrication so it will run until it seizes or looses a bearing.

1. Replace fuel lines with new 1/4" standard automotive fuel line. $25.
2. Replace small oil injection lines from oil pump to intake manifold. $10.
3. Replace o-ring on fuel strainer. $7.
4. Replace fuel selector. They go bad on the inside and let air in so no fuel comes out. The rubber goes bad on the inside so they can't be cleaned.
5. Rebuild carb with genuine Mikuni Parts.
6. Replace oil injection filter.
7. Change jut pump oil.
8. New battery.
9. Make sure seadoo approved oil is being used. No "Blue" TCW oil.
10. Two new BR8ES spark plugs.

You might have to spend $100 on this thing but it will run for another 10 years if you take care of it. You can pay a little now and do the work or a lot later.

You got a great little ski on the cheap. They are very fun for only having a 580 engine.
Now, we are going to be honest with you and try to make sure your family weekend goes as planned. We have seen this hundreds of times here where someone gets a new to them ski, adds fresh fuel then blows it up. The list I am about to give you MUST be done before you go out and ride it or you will blow the engine. This thing has been sitting for over 10 years and rubber parts go bad. The problem is the fuel system parts go bad with age and the engine will starve for fuel. When this happens in a 2 stroke no fuel means no oil or lubrication so it will run until it seizes or looses a bearing.

1. Replace fuel lines with new 1/4" standard automotive fuel line. $25.
2. Replace small oil injection lines from oil pump to intake manifold. $10.
3. Replace o-ring on fuel strainer. $7.
4. Replace fuel selector. They go bad on the inside and let air in so no fuel comes out. The rubber goes bad on the inside so they can't be cleaned.
5. Rebuild carb with genuine Mikuni Parts.
6. Replace oil injection filter.
7. Change jut pump oil.
8. New battery.
9. Make sure seadoo approved oil is being used. No "Blue" TCW oil.
10. Two new BR8ES spark plugs.

You might have to spend $100 on this thing but it will run for another 10 years if you take care of it. You can pay a little now and do the work or a lot later.

Good advise. I'd check the compression of the motor before you put any money into it tho

You can down load the service manual off the Internet. Use the Internet sites for parts. OSD is a good one. Make sure you use the correct injection oil. Motor cycle shops may have it or happy to order it for you. It can be a bit pricey but it is good insurance for your engine. The hex drive fasteners are metric and stainless steel. Harbor freight has all the tools cheap. Walmart has life jackets at a great price too. Put a whistle on every life jacket. If you decide you love playing with your PWC. Buy good life jackets.

Thanks for all the tips, folks. I appreciate the help. I'm not completely new to PWCs or resurrecting vehicles from the dead, but I do appreciate the specific guidance for the Sea-Doos/PWCs.

I stopped by my brother's place (where I have the SP stored) Sunday and took a few more pictures. This thing is amazingly clean.

Interior of hull, forward
IMG_20160221_162036678.jpg

Interior, port side
IMG_20160221_162155106.jpg

Engine compartment
IMG_20160221_162541858.jpg

IMG_20160221_162658052.jpg

Bottom
IMG_20160221_164609284.jpg

Port side after some quick cleanup. The exterior is going to clean up really well, it looks like.
IMG_20160221_170508198.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back