New to 4-Tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I am lost at what happened. Now at 13 hours and I haven't seen the issue coming back. Are you warming them up when you start them? The issue lasts only 5 minutes.

Hmmmm. Addendum: this morning, after five days of not using my new ski and at 9 hours, the ski would not go over 20 mph for the first 5-10 minutes. I have exactly the same engine behavior as this guy:

Spark runs 3/4 speed until it "warms up". - Sea-Doo.net

And I mean exactly the same behavior. Even Sport Mode will not change a thing. Then after 5-6 minutes, it seems "uncertain", i.e. giving me sudden bursts of power and then it unlocks completely.

I really wish someone could give me an insight on this. It has to be computer related or else the ski would be already dead. By the way, I am not getting any error code like this other guy in the link.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Benji.

I just bought a GTI SE 130 and there was no break in limiter at all...actually have 2 of them. Don’t see why they’d have software on one engine and not the others - sounds fishy to me. I’d call another dealer service dept for an opinion to see if they’re BSing you.

I am really puzzled because I now have three persons including me that have this issue and two without! I'll call BRP again.

Benji.

Just spoke to my salesman at BRP who happens to be a technical guy who just switched from being a mechanics to a salesman at BRP and again he tells me that these engines do have a protection when too cold. I am not the first one to report this issue he told me and doesn't think I should be worried at all with this.

Also, he can confirm that this limiting effect is present in all their newer ski-doo's (snowmobiles) as well (and they share the same engines, Rotax).

Also, now at 13 hours, I haven't experienced the issue since 11 hours but I am starting to wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the temperature of the machine when I cold start it. I noticed that in plain sun and temperatures in the 90s, I didn't get the problem past 6 hours. However, my dock is in the shade until 1 PM and that when I had the issue last time, temperature had dropped in the low 60s during the night and that I started the engine in the morning before the sun got on it.

He thinks that some people just won't notice it like the other poster who has to drive for several minutes at low speed just to get out of the docks.

Now go figure!

Benji.

Just spoke to my salesman at BRP who happens to be a technical guy who just switched from being a mechanics to a salesman at BRP and again he tells me that these engines do have a protection when too cold. I am not the first one to report this issue he told me and doesn't think I should be worried at all with this.

Also, he can confirm that this limiting effect is present in all their newer ski-doo's (snowmobiles) as well (and they share the same engines, Rotax).

Also, now at 13 hours, I haven't experienced the issue since 11 hours but I am starting to wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the temperature of the machine when I cold start it. I noticed that in plain sun and temperatures in the 90s, I didn't get the problem past 6 hours. However, my dock is in the shade until 1 PM and that when I had the issue last time, temperature had dropped in the low 60s during the night and that I started the engine in the morning before the sun got on it.

He thinks that some people just won't notice it like the other poster who has to drive for several minutes at low speed just to get out of the docks.

Now go figure!

Benji.

That's interesting info - thanks for following up. I've got 4 hours on my pair now (2018s) and hadn't noticed anything bizarre yet. I'm taking it easy on them for the first 10 hours but they seem to have pretty good balls in them. (GTI SE 130)

Still going good at 26 hours with a gorgeous day here in Quebec (unlike our friends down on the east coast). Almost no wind and water still in the 70s.

Today I found out the real power of new 4-tec skis: my 83 years old mom came riding me on my ski!!! And we are not lightweight both of us. These new skis can handle 600 pounds (we were short of that by a good 175 pounds...). My mom was able to get aboard first and I got in first (as the driver). Everything went well (of course I drove easy going). Three years ago on my 2003 GTI we almost capsized when I tried the same thing. With this new one, no issues at all. Never felt there was a problem.

I even used the VTS for the first time and it worked great (VTS set to 1 so the ski would be more controllable in turns). We cruised around the lake for 90 minutes.

I don't know for you guys but an 83 years old mom on a ski is quite a challenge I believe! Anyone had the moms on their skis at that age?

Still going good at 26 hours with a gorgeous day here in Quebec (unlike our friends down on the east coast). Almost no wind and water still in the 70s.

Today I found out the real power of new 4-tec skis: my 83 years old mom came riding me on my ski!!! And we are not lightweight both of us. These new skis can handle 600 pounds (we were short of that by a good 175 pounds...). My mom was able to get aboard first and I got in first (as the driver). Everything went well (of course I drove easy going). Three years ago on my 2003 GTI we almost capsized when I tried the same thing. With this new one, no issues at all. Never felt there was a problem.

I even used the VTS for the first time and it worked great (VTS set to 1 so the ski would be more controllable in turns). We cruised around the lake for 90 minutes.

I don't know for you guys but an 83 years old mom on a ski is quite a challenge I believe! Anyone had the moms on their skis at that age?

I did on my old 97 GTI...took my mom (she’s 87 now so was about 83 then). Surprised she wanted to try it. Highlight of her summer.

My mom is 64 and my aunt is also 64. My aunt bought a Spark and they both ride the sparks without issue, most of the time lol. They can get back on the 3 seater though it is tough for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back