New Stereo Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfly

So the wifey got me a new stereo for the Sportster. She got a Sony CDX-M10. Really nice looking head unit. Is this unit any good? I read some reviews on them and they seem ok. How was the install? Did you have to cut and splice to install?

I am also looking to replace the 2 junky factory speakers. I really want some decent speaks. Anyone got an idea on the best sounding stuff? I really just want to be able to beach it and hear the tunes from the water. Doesnt have to be over the top. Just want it to sound good and be able to crank it up. I was looking at the rockford fosgates and the MTX's. Any input?

Audio upgrades are one of the best mods you can do. I cant tell you the number of time i have been out on the water and people are shocked when they hear my boat. I usually supply the music when we are tied up with large groups.

The M10 is a decent radio. Its pretty basic, but it will be a huge improvement over the stock unit. You can use an ipod with it and if you wanted to later, you could add a sub or 2. There are tons of options as far as speakers. It all comes down to what you wanna spend really. I have all Kicker marine speakers and have been really happy. A lot of other use the Polk's and they are great for the price. They have the MM series that are marine rated and you can find them for about $110 a pair. If you want really nice, you can get the MM6501UM for like $180 each. The kickers I used are only about $85 a pair. There are tons of other options both cheaper and more expensive...it all comes down to what you wanna spend and if you plan to add to it in the future.

As far as hearing it well out of the boat, with a head unit and a single pair of speakers.....it wont be very good. For it to sound decent, you need more speakers and an amp.

Agreed, the audio upgrade is one of the best upgrades one can do. I can recommend wetsounds unreservedly. Loud, clear. If your budget can stretch for a sub, you can justify an amp.
Even my installer was blown away with my speakers compared to the ones he's an agent for.
Good luck

Ok few more questions. was just about to order the speaks when I figured I would ask. I quick ran down to storage and took one of the old speakers out. What size speaker fits in the exisiting hole? I would prefer to refrain from cutting any fiberglass.

I am also looking at a sub and an amp, but like I said, I hate the idea of cutting a hole in fiberglass. I was thinking of going with a alpine marine amp and a 10" Marine Bazooka tube. Anybody here any of these. With a tube, I can install it in one of the compartments.,

My boat is a 99 Seadoo Sportster 1800.

I read the other thread. I was just looking at Bazooka cuz I dont need to be the loudest on the lake. Just make the tunes sound a little better. Just didnt know if anyone had experience with them.

So 99 Sportster....what size speaker can I squeeze in the factory hole?

The bazooka tubes sound decent in cars..It may work in the storage compartment,but it would sound much better mounted on the interior of the boat. Its very easy to install. I'm not sure what the factory speakers size is. Mine had little dinky 5" speakers. I made the holes a bit bigger and added 6 1/2's. I honestly wouldnt bother with anything smaller than that.

Will do. Gonna just get it over with and order the 6.5's. If I gotta cut em I will. Once I get the new speaks I'll see what it sounds like and determine if its adequate for my needs. Thanks for the help Foster.....you da man

I installed a Fusion AM/FM/Sirus/iPod IP600 70x4 watts (you insert your iPod inside the head unit) It charges the iPod while keeping it out of the elements too. Also I installed Fusion 6 1/2" replacing the stock ones and 4 1/2" speakers in the front (cut new holes for them) Night and day difference, you can crank it and sounds beautiful. Also by Fusion I installed a remote next to the throttle so I could change the volume and songs. You can add up to 2 of these remotes throughout the boat. They do offer 3 great amps, one with the sub and amp in one, as well as 10" sub that sounds great!

I,m in the stereo business and i really like the sound of the alpine spr-m 700 marine speakers. They are 7" full range and carry a great bass note. You don't have to have a large amp with these. Around 50 watts to 75 watts per channel jamms.
I have them on my 97 speedster with 100 watts per channel and they rock. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back