New owner review from Florida (3up)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

SOOFIERCE

Hello everyone,

I would like to review my new Seadoo Spark 3up. I have been on it on 4 different occasions and I'm very pleased with my purchase. My Spark is black/white version and has the following options I've added:

Front storage bin
Rear floor mat
Flush kit
Front Camera mount (iPhone 5s)

The Spark is very light and I pull it around with my Prius V without even trying. This allows me to take longer trips to new destinations around Florida. I filled the tank up once with 5 gallons after I have been out on it 4 times for half day fun. The Spark is everything as advertised... Rapid response in all directions. Water splashing everywhere as you lift it out of the water like you hit a ramp. Yeah, no wake needed to bunny hop two feet like a skateboard alloy. Top speed 50mph... I've seen 51 a couple times for a short second. The acceleration is supercharger like... Instant.

I find myself in touring mode 90% of the time. It seems to me that Sport Mode is for tricks. Once in Sports Mode, you start bunny hopping without even trying. This was on a still lake. Imagine a 3' wake = Superman!

I'm 220lbs rider and the ride is very stable. This past weekend I had another 200lbs rider with me. He stood up as I carved the lake in figure 8s. We took a tight corner and drifted sideways for about 8 yards going 40mph. My rider flew off and yanked me right out of my seat with him. It felt like my parachute opened. We both fell into the cold lake and the Spark simply kept going until it ran out of momentum (Thank goodness for kill switch). We both swam about 20 yards. At that point I was thinking I should of gotten the step option. Nonetheless, I placed my knee on the mat and pulled myself up in seconds.... Naaaa I don't need the step after all. My rider rocked the boat left to right, then right to left... Then finally got himself on. Didn't know what the hell was going on back there, but it seemed he would of benefitted from the convenience of a step LOL

I love the Spark

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to get mine. Do you just go to the inland lakes around Lakeland? I live near Brandon and am trying to figure out what will be some good places to go.

Great review! Me too I would be interested in the camera mount as we'll.. 2 people over 200 pounds each on a spark is unbelievable, very nice, yes pictures, and welcome!

So far I have been to a nearby small lake for the breaking period... Now that it's over, I've started planning future trips to the following locations:

Fort De Soto
Anna Maria Island
Channel Lakes ending at Lego Land
Hulk Hogans Beach Club

I choose the iPhone mount called iMountz 2 found on Amazon. It is a waterproof case that includes a 5 point harness. I mounted it snugly in front of the steering column with the Velcro harness hugging the white Spark nose. Interesting enough the spark has two built in belt loops, in which I used for the top portion of the 5 point harness.

I was interested in a GoPro 3 which shoots at 1080p with 60fps (Slow mo), however... The iPhone 5s has the new camera built in called iSight, which shoots 1080p with 30fps. This is the same spec as the GoPro 2. There is a video on YouTube that compares the GoPro 3 side-by-side with the Apple iSight. You be the judge, but for me it was a no brainer to go with my 5s with the iSight built in features.

Continued

So far I have been to a nearby small lake for the breaking period... Now that it's over, I've started planning future trips to the following locations:

Fort De Soto
Anna Maria Island
Channel Lakes ending at Lego Land
Hulk Hogans Beach Club

I choose the iPhone mount called iMountz 2 found on Amazon. It is a waterproof case that includes a 5 point harness. I mounted it snugly in front of the steering column with the Velcro harness hugging the white Spark nose. Interesting enough the spark has two built in belt loops, in which I used for the top portion of the 5 point harness.

No IBR, No Problem:

My 3up was not equip with the IBR feature and I worried I may need to at least install the Manuel reverse. I did not want to run into the dock or not have a way to backup from a crowded area, which sometimes happens. Here is what I found... When you let off the throttle, the Spark feels like you have hit the brakes. It slows down fairly quickly, to the point that you will feel yourself pushed forward like you hit the E-brake in a car. My last ski was a 1999 Seadoo GTX LTD (951 2-stroke) 3 seater.... And when you let off the throttle, it kept cruising along on plane.

I purchased a retractable paddle and I use this to guide my Spark around heavy dock traffic. I simply stand up and maneuver my Spark around like a canoe. The Spark is light and stable enough to make this work with no problem. So for now, I don't see a need to install the Manuel reverse and have completely forgotten about the cool IBR system it could of had.

I found a battery tender to be a must since trying to reach the battery to unscrew the terminals is just unrealistic. I purchased a black & decker battery trickle charger from amazon for cheap. It's a cool looking black and orange model with the same plug the Spark already comes with. Simply plug the battery tender into the wall outlet and the supplied cable into the Spark input plug.

Perfect

you guys ride so infrequently in FL you need a battery tender?!

I use one over the winter, but all summer I'm good.

how big is the battery in the sparky?

I found a battery tender to be a must since trying to reach the battery to unscrew the terminals is just unrealistic. I purchased a black & decker battery trickle charger from amazon for cheap. It's a cool looking black and orange model with the same plug the Spark already comes with. Simply plug the battery tender into the wall outlet and the supplied cable into the Spark input plug.

Perfect

"Spark Input Plug?" im at work.. but really need to check that out!

New battery or not, lots of people go island hopping and I will feel much better leaving port with a known full battery. Trickle charging your battery also promotes longer life of said battery. The tender I purchased was under $20.

One of the fears I've herd was what will happen to the plastic (Polytec) material the Spark is made out of after a few years in the sun...? We'll I'm not waiting to find out, this is why I choose to bath my new Spark (Top half only, not bottom haul) with F21 by Turtle Wax. This is the only formula I've found to have "Sun Guard". I've been using this on my dash in my cars here in Florida since 1997. Back then it was called Formula 2001. I challenge you to find another product that will shine and protect for freaking months just like you just applied it! I do not know what will happen in sea water, but I'm willing to try.

As of know, I have the most shinny Spark on the planet sitting in my garage :)

*More on this later...

I keep my Spark in the Garage.. but yes I understand the material is different, my boat (2011 seadoo speedster 150) doesn't fit perfect in my garage (i have a 2 car 2 door detached garage built in 1926), but I definitely always have a cover on my boat.

I also have a cover on my Spark inside my garage. I love how I can just change the panels on my Spark if they get messed up or im tired of the color.

Nice review, I just got mine a few weeks ago. Only been out twice. I'm new to the sport. But always down to ride with other peeps. I'm in Apollo Beach, if you guys ever want to meet up one weekend holler at me.

Jay

I will be at Hogans Beach club (Well, right next to it "Ben T Beach") this Saturday morning. I'm bringing a party float and a volleyball. It goes without saying... I'm bringing the Spark! Come out and join me :)

fierce...
if you ever can get down south towards punta gorda (1.5 ish hours south of St Pete) and ride Charlotte Harbor/Boca/Peace River with us, i'd love to see the spark, maybe if your cool with it, swap rides for 5 minutes, i'd love 5 minutes of seat time to see how I feel about the ski. Rode XP's for a long time until I migrated into full couches.

We occasionally get north to tampa as well, but nothing planned in the next 3 weeks, we plan on staying south near Fort Myers, Port Charlotte at least until early april. (I need to do some digging into the river's around sarasota/bradenton as well, I keep driving over them on trips up 75, but i've never been on those waterways)

also, when the spring/summer rains hit, we ride Arcadia (upper peace river), which isn't too far for you down 17, and its GREAT riding, lots of twisties, good fun. But we can't do the upper peace until we start getting steady rain, its too shallow in the winter.

I will be at Hogans Beach club (Well, right next to it "Ben T Beach") this Saturday morning. I'm bringing a party float and a volleyball. It goes without saying... I'm bringing the Spark! Come out and join me :)

Man I was trying to make it out there. But I was at Hogans Beach last night with a bunch of friends that came down from NY. Didn't leave there till 5 this morning.

Jay

Back