New Owner Grocery List

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

avcustar

Hello All,

I just bought my first boat 2011 Challenger 210.

I live in Ohio and plan on being on Lake Erie and inland lakes.

The dealer gave me a list of sorts to purchase. I was looking for advice/suggestions/best places to store this stuff.

1. A tool box with the basics.
2. Safety kit (flares/ whistles/mirror)
3. Handheld floating radio
4. 50' tow rope
5. 25' dock line
6. 2 large ribbed fenders
7. Boot hook with universal brush head
8. PFDs
9. Man overboard
10. 2 ABC fire extinguishers
11. 8lb anchor (chain & rope)
12. First aid kit

Thoughts and Thanks,
Andrew

Sounds like a good start. An 8 lb anchor isn't going to cut it though. Especially on lake erie. I boat mostly on lakes and use a 15lb mushroom type anchor and it works great. My boat is a lot smaller. I started with an 8 lb anchor and it never held. I would go big. The folding danforth anchors are great for sandy areas. Make sure the anchor rope is long enough too. I use 200' but i boat in some deep lakes.

I also keep lots of sunscreen and bottled water in case I'm stranded somewhere. I also keep $50 stashed away for emergencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good start. An 8 lb anchor isn't going to cut it though. Especially on lake erie. I boat mostly on lakes and use a 15lb mushroom type anchor and it works great. My boat is a lot smaller. I started with an 8 lb anchor and it never held. I would go big. The folding danforth anchors are great for sandy areas. Make sure the anchor rope is long enough too. I use 200' but i boat in some deep lakes.

I also keep lots of sunscreen and bottled water in case I'm stranded somewhere. I also keep $50 stashed away for emergencies.

Couldn't agree more RFoster. I take $100 (emergency fuel / bribes to other boaties for a tow back to shore if impeller gets jammed etc).

Make sure you have some kids PFDs / life jackets
For ocean use I also take a GPS
Water proof container for car keys / mobile phone
12v airpump (inflatables)
Waterproof jacket
And I also carry a knife and dive mask (to unblock intake grate at sea).

UMMM... Beer & Ice!!! LOL:cheers:

I agree about the anchor comments above. Go big.

Also, I would add another fender or two and additional dock lines in there in case of rafting up, or just to provide additional dockside protection. Always double check to make sure that the docklines are inside the boat completely when underway, it would be really uncool to suck one of those up in the impeller. Perhaps keeping some slip-on water shoes aboard is a good idea too.

Looks like you are off to a good start, you should make the fella's at the marine supply store very happy to see you! Happy boating.

Hi avcustar, welcome to boating, and Seadoo boats....I was born in Cleveland (Willowick), moved West back in 1960, still hold a warm spot in my heart for Lake Erie....Looks like the guys have covered pretty much all the essentials, one thing to check would be the if there is a requirement to carry a a signal / air-horn. I would check your states laws and make darn sure you have every item they require, otherwise, you could be spending all your "bribe" money, on a ticket! Personally, over many years, many boats, and a wide assortment of bottom conditions, I have had best luck with a Danforth style anchor....Being a new Challenger owner, you might not know that she carries her bow a bit low, if you are heading at slow speed, into swells, or someones's wake, it's easy to take some in-coming" over the bow, you can easily use the throttle to pick up the bow and avoid those soggy situations....Go have some fun!

yeah i totally forgot the airhorn. I think the requirement is just a noise maker...you could use a whistle if you wanted..lol I use a cheap canned air horn.

An anchor cover isn't a bad idea either. Will keep it from scratching up whatever compartment you put it in.

Hydroturf do a kit for the rear and front parts of your boat. Wouldn't be a bad idea to grab them too

Also pack some locking pliers. If you read the instruction manual you will see that under tow you need to clamp one of the pipes to ensure that water doesn't get up into the cylinder head.

I'd keep a decent binocular. A swim mask to check under the boat or impeller. A battery jumpstart. A bottle opener. Walkies talkies are useful. A football. Beer coozies. Waterproof uno cards.

While your shopping might pay to look at hull protection too. Not many of us plan on beaching our boats but if we ever have to it's good to be prepared. Keel shield is something I used to help in this area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back