New Owner- 1997 Challenger single engine - recommended maintenance???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BT_VA

Hello and thanks in advance for any insight/help.

I recently bought a 1997 Challenger with the single 787 engine. Had sat for 3 years and previous owner could not get running. Engine was not locked, so I sprayed the cylinders with lubricant, sprayed carbs with carb cleaner and put new spark plugs and a better battery and hooked up an external fuel tank. After a few attempts, I had it up and running. As of right now, I can say that I think the carbs are somewhat dirty, as when I try to increase throttle, it starts to bog out. Also, having some trouble with the gas lines in the boat, as I seem to only be getting gas when I turn the gas knob to reserve. Any suggestions regarding carbs and this gas issue? Also, I was told that they were doing pre-mixed fuel/oil but it looks as though the external oil tank is still hooked up? Not sure how to test for sure whether that is still adding oil to the engine? I have read that you still need to leave oil in this tank and have it hooked up to the engine to lubricate other components in the engine, is this correct?

Also, just trying to get some info on what else I need to do to this boat before I start using it. Would like to know where I need to lubricate so that I dont burn something up, since this thing has been sitting for 3 years. Fairly handy with engines/machines, but new to the jet boat world, so feel a little lost there. Also, my throttle lever seems to move too easily. Not sure if that is how it is set up, but if I move it to 50%, it would just fall back down to idle speed if you are not holding it in place. Seems to be opening up the throttle plate fine, so I dont think its the cable, but the lever itself seems too easy to move?

thanks again.

I would start with a compression test. If that checks out I would completely go through the fuel system. Clean replace fuel selector and rebuild the carbs. I get the "back to OEM" from OSD. You could also add the Allen head screws set. Add the needle and seats when you purchase. I personally Loop the lines for the rotary valve bath. Just keep an eye on the level. Run Sea-Doo 2-stroke oil! My experience is the grommets on the old tanks are roached out and usually leak all over the bottom. That drives me nuts.

Take your throttle/drive assembly out, not exactly sure on this,,,but those boat linkages operate on a friction basis,,,so they hold their position at different points,,,,just may need grease and an adjustment. Also, under the front cover/bucket, you will find I believe the throttle links to the carb,,,there may be a link that holds the throttle open as you turn the steering wheel, to maintain power while you pulling a tube etc..inspect that it is operating smoothly, Be careful removing the Phillip screws securing the throttle/drive unit,,,don't strip them,,,you may need to use an impact/screw remover,,,you know,,,where you hit it with a hammer and it removes the screw,

Thanks for the replies! I am going to be working on the boat this evening, so I will remember these suggestions. I am putting a starter solenoid in today, as I went to start it up the other day and it will not turn over. I have a good marine battery in there that is charged, so I am pretty sure it is the solenoid, but I also bought a starter, which I will put on it if this doesnt fix the issue. I havent looked too closely, but I have yet to locate the starter. assuming it is in a hard to reach spot? Thinking it might be toward the back end of the boat, below the engine somewhat in the middle? Is this a tough job? Do you absolutely have to remove other pieces to get to the starter, or can you sneak it out without having to remove anything? thanks.

It is a bitch of a job,,,,there should be a bracket at the back of the starter underneath,,,remove it last,,,it will balance the starter for you...and when you put in the new one,,,partially attach the bracket first,....leave the ground attached if you can.
You will be working upside down almost,,,removing the motor cover may help save your back and help your access. Removing the air box will definitely help your access. And,,,after market starters rarely work,,,you can buy OEM brush kits...(they are cheap) and make the starter like new,,,the armatures rarely fail....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back