New member, hello!, Hoping to get some help with auto-bilge pump - 1996 speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadasaurus

Hi all, we recently picked up a 1996 speedster. First jet boat, and only the 2nd boat we've ever owned. I do not have a mechanical background, but I love to work, and have no problem getting my hands dirty, so I am really hoping to be able to do as much maintenance/repair work as I can (with the help of the forum!). I've already read and leaned a lot and looking forward to learning more.
The first issue I was hoping for help with is the auto bilge pump. The manual works just fine, but I poured water into the bilge, and even with the lanyard on the DESS post the auto bilge would not come on. From reading the forum I believe I have found the proper device - a little grey box beside the Rule pump. I was hoping to remove it to further troubleshoot, but when I went to unscrew it from the bracket it appears not to be a screw/bolt but to be a rivet. Does this sound right? If so, should I break the rivet, and then any suggestion on what to look for to troubleshoot it? Also, if I can get it repaired, or worst case replaced I'd like to re-wire it so that is will come on without the Lanyard having to be in the DESS port, and would very much appreciate help with how to do that, but anyways, one thing at a time.
Here's a couple pics of our new toy, and the grey box I was referring to.
Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you all.
Thanks!
002-small.jpg004-small.jpgIMG_0252_3578D882-small.jpg

That should be the right device only on my '97 it is much smaller. The previous owner replaced it by drilling out the rivets and used tie-wraps to re-fasten it. Not sure how these work but believe it sends a signal to the MPEM that activates a relay to drive the pump. It may be difficult to rewire if the key is needed to get it to work as the MPEM would need internal mods. A wiring diagram would be helpful.

Thanks for the reply.
I finally managed to get it off last might but I don't see how I could do anything to try to fix it.
I think I'm going to pick up a second bilge pump, most likely the Rule model that senses for water by checking impeller resistance (Model 25SA) and wire it directly to the battery (with an inline fuse on the Positive lead).
I don't suppose you know if the existing manual Rule pump has backflow protection? I want to use the same 3/4 hose for the new pump (by installing a Y connection) and I'd hate to pump water out with one pump only to have it come back down through the other.
I am planning to try pouring water in the external end of that outlet hose tonight while my GF watches the pump in the bilge to see if water comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back