NEW MEMBER, First Ski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hehateme2812

Hey Guys,

just picked up a 98 SPX last night for $200. It hasn't been run for two seasons but was winterized. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what I need to do to get it running, it has no battery so I know I need that. I have my buddy that is going to help me and he's a marine mechanic so it shouldn't be to bad. I just wanted to know if there was anything I should know. Thanks in advance for the help. Here's a picture I took last night.
120.jpg

-Mike

Look at the last two digits of the HIN that is on the ski (not the paperwork as it may be typed wrong). They will be the year of the ski.

pull plugs, pull airbox, pour 2 cycle oil into cylinders put rag over spark plug holes and turn engine over by hand via the "PTO" driveshaft area. May be a little gray driveshaft cover there, remove it with the 2 white plastic wing nuts. Grab driveshaft by hand and see if engine will turn over, if so that's a good start.

Report back results, next will be compression test if results are postive and engine isnt locked up.

As per above, check HIN that it matches the paperwork you were provided. If HIN on hull doesn't match paperwork, call the seller up, demand money back.

Rob

How do I know it's a 96? I know. I just do. It has a 720 in it. A 98 is yellow/white/black and has an 800 in it.

Need confirmation? Google 96 Seadoo SPX and 98 Seadoo SPX and you'll see what I mean.

pull plugs, pull airbox, pour 2 cycle oil into cylinders put rag over spark plug holes and turn engine over by hand via the "PTO" driveshaft area. May be a little gray driveshaft cover there, remove it with the 2 white plastic wing nuts. Grab driveshaft by hand and see if engine will turn over, if so that's a good start.

Report back results, next will be compression test if results are postive and engine isnt locked up.

As per above, check HIN that it matches the paperwork you were provided. If HIN on hull doesn't match paperwork, call the seller up, demand money back.

Rob

any two cycle oil you recommend?

i dont recommend spending any money on expensive oil until you know the compression, just get some 2 cycle oil and get compression test confirmed

use a good brand name gauge, not harbor freight crap ( not everything at harbor freight is bad, but the compression test gauges are notorious for inaccurate readings ) i use my snap on gauge

any two cycle oil you recommend?

i dont recommend spending any money on expensive oil until you know the compression, just get some 2 cycle oil and get compression test confirmed

use a good brand name gauge, not harbor freight crap ( not everything at harbor freight is bad, but the compression test gauges are notorious for inaccurate readings ) i use my snap on gauge

my uncle is a mechanic around the corner from me going to borrow his, I almost have the head off the check for corrosion. I do want to mention I'm a marine engineer with my third assistance coast guard license, so I've got the knowledge just have never done this before. btw I took the drive shaft cover off and just babied it a tad left and right, spins pretty free, need oil before I go all the way around of course

How do I know it's a 96? I know. I just do. It has a 720 in it. A 98 is yellow/white/black and has an 800 in it.

Need confirmation? Google 96 Seadoo SPX and 98 Seadoo SPX and you'll see what I mean.

YOU DO JUST KNOW, it's a 96, dam you, just lost 22hp [emoji19]

if its free by hand, then don't take head off, id put some oil down there and then spin it over by hand for a bit to lubricate all. then do comp test

might just be a good score, either way its good at $200

if its free by hand, then don't take head off, id put some oil down there and then spin it over by hand for a bit to lubricate all. then do comp test

might just be a good score, either way its good at $200

well I already got into taking the head off so now I have to finish being I snapped one and bent another, oh well you live and learn, but I'm only in about another $250, good dam battery and plugs was $200 alone

Thats why i was saying hold off on head removal prior to comp test,

oh well, have at it.

Battery and spark plugs at $200?!!! :eek:

I pay $60-70 for AGM batteries, and $2.49 plus tax ea. for NGK BR8ES-3961 spark plugs....

Rob

well I already got into taking the head off so now I have to finish being I snapped one and bent another, oh well you live and learn, but I'm only in about another $250, good dam battery and plugs was $200 alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back