New,, Looking for advice on purchase!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

MBlow

Hey guys, im completely new to this site and entire jet-ski'ing as a whole.
I don't know the "sea-doo-ways" or what is hated:banghead: on and what you all :thumbsup:...;your Lingo

But i'm looking to learn and need some advice, thanks!

Im 19, live in myrtle beach on a riverfront. I have a friend of a friend who wants to sell me his 1999 Sea-doo XP Limited. From what i understand this is a 951 cc Ski with just two seats. It only has 63 hours on it and he wants $2300 for it, trailer included. My Main questions; Is this ski very buoyant? i dont want to feel like im sinking when stopped.... and just what is you all's overall outlook on a ski that is that old,

Any thoughts are apprieciated, thanks.!

That will be a pretty fast ski with the 951 but they're sometimes tempermental motors from what I hear.

A lot of it depends on how it was maintained, definitely do a water test - this will answer your buoyancy question as well. Everyone's opinion and tolerance is different. See if they replaced the motor at any time, and if they redid the old grey fuel lines.

I remember a buddy of mine back in that era that had an XP limited while I owned a Yamaha '97 GP1200. Both were 135hp skis, and they ran near identical speed. About 68 on the dream-o-meter. Neither of us had GPS back in those days, so actual speed was less of course.

They could outrun about anything at the time. As far as boyant, I wouldn't worry about that as much as tippyniess. The XP was perfect for what it was designed for, great handling and jumping were awesome. Giving the ladies rides was not it as riding double took some skill keeping it upright while loading. Of couse if you wanted to use it to help select the ladies, then it would do the trick as a sub 115lb lady would not matter as much.

Listen for some great advice from the guys on here. Do some searches through the 2-stroke forums for related articles around that particular model. Also read up on NADA for average selling prices as NADA is based off of actual sales of that particular craft. If it's in good shape, they are not asking too bad of a price.

NADA on a 1999 Sea-Doo XP Limited = $1870 Low Retail, $2090 Average Retail. Any decent single place trailer is worth $300 - $500 depending on brand and condition.

Go ride it. If you have a reputable BRP dealer that will give it a once-over for an hour's labor, take him up on it.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the forum. Price sounds fair but as the guys said do a water test and BE SURE to do a compression test. the 951's were more prone to having top end issues so with 63 hours if it has never been rebuilt you will most likely have to do it in the near future. Depending on how it was taken care of.... Personally i would look for one with the 787cc engine in it. its not as fast and only has 110 hp as opposed to the 951's 135hp but she still scoots and has plenty of power. But all in all it is a much more reliable engine and you will have lots of fun with it. Post pics if you can and be sure to do the compression test. good luck

before buying my x4 i rode a '00 xp-l. the things SCREAM. they are really good skis. 951's are not bad motors, they just require more maitenance then the smaller motors. usually they requrie a top end job at ~150 hours and a complete rebuild at ~300. another thing to check on was if the recall work was done to help provent water injestion. other that they are really fun skis.

Purple_people_eater you said you have ridden both the xp limited and a x4 which do you personally prefer to ride ? I'm on te hunt for a ski an I'm trying to choose between those two ?

Back