new here, new to boating, new to me old 97 challenger. Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok just talked to the guy, PO he got it from lost the key and cut the wires to the dess thinking it would work (have all these parts just no key) The MPEN is there and all hooked up just the cover removed. The compression of the engine has been checked and he said he can show me upon pickup that its holding and the engine will turn over. So we will just go from there, I was told my Lincoln project wouldn't never work... then wouldn't never run... then never drive.... and I can go right now and drive it from here to California without a problem... I work against adversity because its just a bitch that needs to be put in its place ;)

awesome! and same here, it simply doesnt win/beat me, in my book! it will happen and it will work! just need to keep trying! lol...

my friends thought I was nuts to pull a 300 FI six banger /T18 granny tranny out of my new 30K old 88 Ford F-150 in 89, and replace it with a combo of Ford parts 1966 1M steel crank, seasoned 68 302 block, yeilded 293 cubes, hooked to a worked C4, and 3:73 geared 8.8 with trac-lok... custom autometer gauges in the stock guage housing plastic, and LED turn, high beam, indicators etc etc, electric fuel pumps, yup those were the days!... towed the boat really well with 33`s on it, lol...

Sweet/classic hot-rod looking ride. Didn't realize they had frames under them, or do they? I might go looking for one if they do. Looks nice sitting low like that with velvet paint, too. My boat tow vehicle is an 80's Elco with a Buick 231, lockup th350, rear sway bar and cargo springs, have seen 24MPG with it a few times.

nope the continentals are unibodys.... but mine is on a frame...;) its two cars I cut apart and joined together, 75% of it is a 99 towncar including all drivetrain (modular ford 4.6) suspension (hydraulics) frame, floor, interior, electrical and dash is even 99 im currently doing a lot of extra sheetmetal work as Im not into the big wheel thing. Im going for a reliable 60s style custom.

nope the continentals are unibodys.... but mine is on a frame...;) its two cars I cut apart and joined together, 75% of it is a 99 towncar including all drivetrain (modular ford 4.6) suspension (hydraulics) frame, floor, interior, electrical and dash is even 99 im currently doing a lot of extra sheetmetal work as Im not into the big wheel thing. Im going for a reliable 60s style custom.
dam, I misread, I thought 91, but mod motor FTW! I had a CVPI 4.6 with a few goodies they ride great!
awesome project, a lot of time went into that!:cheers:
I would like to do a Flat head rod someday...

thanks Pale! it was a lot work but worth it every bit plus with me and a half tank of gas it only tips the scale at 3100 lbs!! wich makes for a fast ass 62 continental!! im going to have it ready to spray this winter, then onto my 68 supercrew ford truck project on new chassis and mod motor!!

SYKO,

I knew your Conti looked familiar, I remembered your projects over on 3wheelerworld. The world gets smaller everyday. Good luck on the boat project, I know you'll sort it out.

OK... so the goodies are in the box... and the boat is cheap.....

DID YOU GET IT YET??

sunday sunDAYY SUNNNDAAAYYY!!! lol

SYKO,

I knew your Conti looked familiar, I remembered your projects over on 3wheelerworld. The world gets smaller everyday. Good luck on the boat project, I know you'll sort it out.

yea small world... im no longer part of that site...oh well, it is a small world ;)

loaded it up, since we did a trade I figured I could just load the boat and trailer on my hauler... one bad tire from sitting didn't cause a problem...

sitting at the house, a friend grabbed the wheel and tire to get it repaired so I tilted the trailer the best I could and did a little wash job

sat under a lean too with the backhalf out that's why the rear seats are shot

not to worried about that, ill get all the seats out and polish the hull then go about other things and worry about seats last

covwer off but not missing and nothing taken apart or cut

engine seems legit

everything here looked decent

from what I gathered... the original owner used it only a few times and it sat in a lake from new to 99.... then put under the lean to afterward and dess key lost. then owner tried to cut wires to get it to start and of course without the dess key its not... so it sat on the trailer as is since sometime in 99.... so im hoping for low hours, the gas smells horid so I know a lot has to be gone through first, but overall im happy. Total in boat so far including travel expenses less then what I originaly stated $175..... decent.

going to send off the MPEN to member minnetonka4me to get a new dess key coded for it so I can start the repair process going. Im going to see if I can convince my girlfriend to get her little arms and hands into the boat to unbolt all the seats....hehehehe

My 2 cents: Even if that engine turns over and has good compression (which you can jump the starter and find out), I would still tear it down and AT THE LEAST replace the wrist pin bearings. I had a 97 SPX with the original motor with 150psi compression in each hole die when the damn old bearings let go. The needle retainers let go and death rained down into various parts of the motor. Killed the rotary gear, valve, scored teh block, cylinder and killed one piston. Trust me, it's worth the time! Ideally, I would replace the bearings, hone the cylinders and MAYBE buy a new set of rings, depending on the ring-end gap measurement. BTW, if you haven't already done so, get one of those free manuals from Google for these boats.

ill check into that, I understand its been sitting and ive delt with older 2strokes and getting them back going again. Do these engines have a nikasil lined cylinder?

Nope, aluminum jugs with steel cylinders. they will probably have a nice coat of surface rust on em...

Just found this thread now. I'll throw my 2 cents in (even though I'm late). At $200 it's worth a roll of the dice on that MPEM. Glad to hear you sent it off to Nick, if he comes back and says it's good you're up $700. If not....well you have to find an MPEM.

With the thing sitting for 13 years and then ending up at a junk yard I'd think it's more serious than the "just lost the key" story but hopefully not. I've seen boat owner's do stranger things so who knows. Let us know what happens - good luck.

When you get around to the cleaning - Nick's soft scrub with bleach and Wipe IT trick will work wonder's on that hood. Here's a before and after pics (coincidentally this is a speedster I also had Nick swap out the MPEM and program a key for).

Attachments

• Speedster6.jpg
    Speedster6.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Speedster7.jpg
    Speedster7.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 24
Even though I picked it up from a yard, The guy running the powersports portion bought it for himself, but his wife said NO...lol ... Yea im flamiliar with cleaning these plastics, but im going to be refinishing a lot of parts how I want (assistant manager dealer bodyshop) so no worries making it look good :) just crossing fingers on everything else.

got her pushed off the trailer and up into my carport to dry out all the way and clean up...im thinking this coming sunday get it stripped down and polished along with taking the MPEN out and getting it sent off.

gross dad! theres some ikky GOO in here!!

wtf?!?! THERES spider webs in here!!!! ahhhh!! just duct tape the seats!!!

seriously? you want me to reach into where?

lol do work girl!!! (making my daughter use her skinny arms and hands to get to the hard stuff)

75% stickers removed, seats removed, back hatch removed... next step clean hull etc etc... still need to send off mpen blah blah blah

Any update on this? Was the MPEM good?

I havnt sent off yet. I got projects and I got an order going right now...lol my truck is nearly done, next my motorcycle and then the boat. But I promis you I will update as soon as I know :)

I have a really good freind that I almost forgot about that has been repairing and modding and racing seadoos for years.... and out of the blue he needed his TL painted so we struck a deal. So this winter he will go through my boat and get it going, he allready stopped by and looked at it and said its a no brainer and after seeing his other doos perform I have no worries.

I would change out all the hoses and take a look at the pump as well. Cant wait to see more pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back