New guy with questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Centurion

Hi guys, I boutht 2 2004 GTX 4 TECH's about 18 mos ago. They have run flawlessly for two summers. All I have done is change the oil/filters(twice). They each have about 100 hrs total time. I would like to perform my own pre-season maintenance if at all possible. I have purchased a factory repair manual and have most tools, but no specialized Seadoo tools. One area that I need direction is the electronics. I understand that after X number of hrs the machine will audibly warn me of maintenance and can only be silenced by connecting to a computer, presumably only at the factory authorized dealer. Here's my questions: 1. Can a handy guy reasonably expect to perform most/all of his own preventative/season readiness maintenance without the need for a dealer? 2. Is there anything special I need to know? 3. Do I need to connect the machines to a compuetr of some sort for any reason? If so, can I purchase the required program for my own computer? Connection cable? 4. Based on the forum's recomendations I have no problems joining as a "premium" member if that level of membership is what it takes to access the information I require. Thanks in advance, Jim

hello

1 yes routine maintence and repairs can be made if you have the manual and are handy with a wrench, should have replaced spark plugs already
follow maintence schedule

2 nothing special to know, 4-tecs run good and are reliably, keep them dry when not used " take the seat off and let hull dry out!" if yours are supercharged, might want to rebuild them. if they sit for a extended amount of time ,follow storage procedures in manual

3 cant get programm for seadoo's as far as i know, only a dealer item
should not need unless these boats get some tricky problem that needs to read sensor data, dealer should be able to re-set maintence hours for you for a small fee or tip

good luck
mud

Premium memberships?..

Hi guys, I boutht 2 2004 GTX 4 TECH's about 18 mos ago. They have run flawlessly for two summers. All I have done is change the oil/filters(twice). They each have about 100 hrs total time. I would like to perform my own pre-season maintenance if at all possible. I have purchased a factory repair manual and have most tools, but no specialized Seadoo tools. One area that I need direction is the electronics. I understand that after X number of hrs the machine will audibly warn me of maintenance and can only be silenced by connecting to a computer, presumably only at the factory authorized dealer. Here's my questions: 1. Can a handy guy reasonably expect to perform most/all of his own preventative/season readiness maintenance without the need for a dealer? 2. Is there anything special I need to know? 3. Do I need to connect the machines to a compuetr of some sort for any reason? If so, can I purchase the required program for my own computer? Connection cable? 4. Based on the forum's recomendations I have no problems joining as a "premium" member if that level of membership is what it takes to access the information I require. Thanks in advance, Jim

Jim, welcome to the forum. Thanks for your support.
The premium membership is based around the idea of owners who want to learn how to take care of and preform maintenance themselves but are not true mechanics. They have the ability and tools required but lack in understanding procedures as they are written, along with the terminology. Premium members receive one on one help in helping them achieve their goals, through phone support if necessary. They have direct line communications to moderators who will reply to their query as fast as possible. We will take the time to follow through and help them with a repair of any sort from beginning to end.

I personally tend to anything from tuning your carb to rebuilding your engine; mostly the 2 stroke engine. I am not a certified Seadoo mechanic but certified and college educated in so many mechanical fields, I couldn't begin to list them all. I have been working and rebuilding engines (from a .40 scale, methanol burning 2 stroke to 24 cylinder diesel engines that stand 30 feet high) since I was a kid.

The software and vehicle communication kit you are asking about is a dealer or service center specific item. You must (or suppose to be) BRP certified and licensed to use or have this equipment. We have members in the forum who are exceptionally qualified to work on these motors and can give you the best advice possible, without going to a dealer. I'm am very limited in my experience with the 4-TEC's, just for that reason. Same is true in my work on the V-8's in todays vehicles. They have moved away from allowing mechanics to work on them, unless you maintain all the computer equipment needed for their repairs.

I have a list of these mechanics, so if you need to speak with someone in the field of the 4-TEC personally, your free to PM me. Thanks again for your support.:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back