New Boat Owner

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they can look many things up by the HIN and engine serial number. BUT,,, you have an 06 boat which means you have an 05 engine. So unless someone swapped them out, you have Sodium Valves.

Remove the valve cover and see if it has a 72 or a 75 stamped into the valve. That is the only way to answer it short of a receipt probing the work has been done.

There is no worry if corrosion IN THE ENGINE. But,, You do run salt water through the InterCooler and the exhaust. This is the main reason you want to flush the system. It will also rinse clean the impeller and tunnel area.

Doesn't matter how many GPH's the pump is if the battery/batteries can't keep power to it. Not sure how many pgh the stock bilge is if you have one. If you do not have one, then you'd be foolish not to install one.

Yes, they can look many things up by the HIN and engine serial number. BUT,,, you have an 06 boat which means you have an 05 engine. So unless someone swapped them out, you have Sodium Valves.

Remove the valve cover and see if it has a 72 or a 75 stamped into the valve. That is the only way to answer it short of a receipt probing the work has been done.

Hi guys. Did a bit more research thanks for all the great info you provided! Was able to find a few pics on greehulk (am I allowed to say that on here?). I wanted to give credit to the gentleman who provided the info so here is the link (again sorry if I am not supposed to do this, let me know and it wont happen again)... http://www.**************/forums/showthread.php?t=169011

Add here are the pics of where the numbers are on the valves and what they look like (NOTE these are NOT my valves). 101.jpg
102.jpg
74.jpg
73.jpg

OH ok, it was Seadude from that site. Sure enough everything boils down to pulling the cover to look at the stems to see if they are 72, if so, its a gamble every time you run your engine. In removing the cover, do I need to buy a new gasket for when I put the cover back on? How do I see the bottom of the valve stem with just the cover removed? Don't I have to pull the entire head to see the (bottom) of the valves?

The numbers are stamped into the upper stem shaft. You can see them with the valve cover removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, you have no recalls. The valves were never a recall event. At best they were a TSB.

Recalls are for safety.

You need to pull the cover.

Sorry for the misstatement of recall.However they were changing them while in warenty or till a certain date.Something like that.
I think you can tell difference between valve by color.One is silver the other is black,I think?By taking exhaust off,looking at valve through exhaust port.Anyone know for sure?
The valve cover gasket is reusable .least of your head ache.I recommend letting a tech tell you what you have vers spending way too much time like I did.I'm stubborn! Like I said #'s HARD to see.

I have seen them all kinds of colors. All depends on quality of gas and maintenance from the user.

And agree, they would have changed them as SeaDoo covered the cost. But that is long gone.

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but I'm done with this one.

The topic has been discussed at GREAT lengths. You have an 05 engine,,,,, bottom line is, if no paperwork to prove otherwise you must assume they are the sodium valves.

Now, you can choose to let them be or change them out. Totally up to you.

I simply would not feel well about myself if I was not to give you information that may prove to be detriment to you engine.

Have a good night,,,

Hi xintersecty, I have one more question.

As you are a Challenger 180 owner, could I bother you, that is would you measure the height from the floor of your boat (where you stand inside) to the point where your bimini connects near the edge of the windscreen where it touches the side?

Here is why I ask. The boat I bought (will pick up next Friday since I am studying for the BAR exam here in Calif) has a worn originial bambini top. I want to order a new one from Boat Covers Direct BUT I want to order the LARGER one for the Challenger 230 (instead of the 180 Challenger that I have). This larger bimini has the same width BUT it has a slightly greater height and much longer (2 ft longer). This will give ample shade up in the thin mountain air. I wonder if this will be tall enought to stand under without dipping my head. I am 6' tall and so is my dad. The dimensions on the new bimini for the 230 is 96 long x 36 high (plus whatever that height is I am asking you about) x 79-84 wide.

OK so am I crazy or is that sound like something doable?

Hi xintersecty, I have one more question.

As you are a Challenger 180 owner, could I bother you, that is would you measure the height from the floor of your boat (where you stand inside) to the point where your bimini connects near the edge of the windscreen where it touches the side? .... I wonder if this will be tall enought to stand under without dipping my head. I am 6' tall and so is my dad. The dimensions on the new bimini for the 230 is 96 long x 36 high (plus whatever that height is I am asking you about) x 79-84 wide.

OK so am I crazy or is that sound like something doable?

I never liked the original bimini and I run without it. I have somewhere in my storage. The original one is too short and I can't stand up at 5'11".

Note the one for the 180 is designed for one connection in the center with straps hold fore and aft. Not sure how the 230 is setup.

Having only seen them I agree. Seems like the back bench will likely be in the sun most of the time and the head room is a concern too. The larger biminis for the 210 and 230 models also have a single point of connection with front and rear straps, although I am not sure if the canopy being 2 feet longer won't affect the strap connections. I may have to install new strap points further forward and rear of the originals in order to hold the larger bimini taught enough. Here is a pic of a person selling a challenger near me that the previous owner did same (unfortuantely the current owner does not know the details about it). Mine looks just like this minus the larger aftermarket bimini. His looks taller too. The last pic addresses your point about the larger bimini possibly affecting a boat cover, note how it overhangs ...
00x0x_dCxZDAwwGKs_1200x900.jpg01111_2T4a2Wn0WXD_1200x900.jpg01010_6lO7wBTRYDE_1200x900.jpg

Not sure if this helps, but here is the 210 standard Bimini. I can walk under it, but I'm 5'9. Would have to duck my head at 6'.

DSC_1473.jpg

The larger biminis for the 210 and 230 models also have a single point of connection with front and rear straps

Our 2012 210 has straps for the front and a rigid connection in the center and rear like go panthers pic shows. No straps in the rear.

Not sure if this helps, but here is the 210 standard Bimini. I can walk under it, but I'm 5'9. Would have to duck my head at 6'.

View attachment 36761

Thank you for this. Looks really nice. I went ahead and ordered the following: A Carver Bimini, dimensions: Height 48" Width 79"-84" Length 96", Materials: 9.25 oz. Sunbrella Acrylic Bimini Top Color: Pacific Blue Hardware: Nylon

This should allow approximately 4-5 inches of headroom for a 6 footer. It was not cheap. I was amazed the price range for these things. I paid $530 with a $20 coupon from CoverQuest web site. It does have a 10 yr warranty and has the Sunbrella material. Once I clean the original I may put it on here for sale or maybe craiglist it. I just wanted something that will allow stand up room in case we go fishing or just want to stretch out in the shade. I'll post pics once I get it and install it :)

Hello. I wanted to ask where did you buy the o-ring for this reverse and steering billet nuts? Some sellers on ebay sell with the o-ring. This particular fella does not.

Also I read your post about your rebuild, impressive and very informative. Thank you for that. I would like to ask a newbie question about the Rotax engine. I agree these are impressive engines made in Austria. They are also used in light aircraft, which speaks to their reliability. With that said, however, reliability as you mentioned is a direct correlation with maintenance. In researching this engine, I see that the engine itself has a closed loop cooling system, so no salt water in the engine block. However, I notice that the supercharger uses a cooler that is made of copper (?) and DOES take the outside water and loops it. This cooling water should have no contact with the engine though, correct?

Also, the exhaust is cooled with the outside water. But I do not know yet where this cooling plumbing actually resides? Are teh cooling channels inside the exhaust manifold? If so, are they separate and distict from the engine head and block?

What confused me is why your old engine had the amount of corrosion given a closed loop cooling system. It also worried me as my boat was an ocean boat. While the engine looks clean from what I can gather looking into the engine bay, my visibility is limited. I appreciate any insight you may have as to the cooling of these engines. Thanks ahead of time!

I was sent this as a PM and answered there. I was not able to include the pictures showing the cooling systems.

Closed loop system
closed loop system.jpg

Exhaust system. Out boats use the same setup as the RXT
exhaust cooling system.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back