New 3D Owner- Neccessary 3D Mods?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relax

Hello all!

I just bought a new to me 2004 Seadoo 3D. From the graphics, I think its a premium version.

My brother hopped on it yesterday and sucked up some rocks, the ski seems to have lost a bit of acceleration and top end. I am planning on taking the impellar off and checking it for damage.

I also got launched from the thing and somehow lost the layard. I think it had a small metal clip instead of a plastic one which was enough to make it sink.

SO- I am planning on buying a DESS lanyard and cover from an online store, my question is- are there any other mods out there that really help the performance of this ski?

I was thinking an aftermarket impeller, intake grate, and move the battery to the back left side.

Anyone have an impeller or intake grate suggestion? I was looking at Parker Yamaha online, they have some pretty good prices (and that kneepad thing for only $45). They carry OEM impellers and R&D Aquavien grates. Good idea?

Thanks y'all! Anyone in MN North Metro want to PM to hang out and go jet skiin'?

Awesome MacGyver! Do you have a link to an impeller you liked?

Also, it seems like somewhere around mid throttle while cruising the engine bogs or chokes. Seems like it may be a stage between the low and high jet of the carbs (not sure if thats how these ski engines work, but thats how the 2 stroke snowmobiles I have used operate). Did the new impeller and intake grate change that issue for you at all (if you had it at all).

Double checking here too- we 3D owners need a DESS lanyard right?

As far as im aware there is only one Solas for the 3D: STCD1016

Yours is fuel injected right?
The direct injection models run only on the front cylinder below around 2500 rpm, to conserve fuel etc (which causes them to foul plugs if you idle too much). The rear only runs at higher rpm.

The intake grate got rid of the cavitation on choppy water and keeps the rear of the ski more planted in turns

Yes you need a DESS lanyard which needs to be coded to the skis computer by your dealer/mechanic

I don't have much for documentation on my ski- the guy I bought it from only had the title.

I know its a 2004, and looking at the stickers and black underside I think its a Premium. So I believe its a 787cc RFI.

Three more questions!

What brand intake do you suggest? I can find R&D which is a cool looking chrome finish or Solas which is cheaper and a black finish.

Also, the SOLAS chart shows that impeller works for 3Ds year 2005-2007. Will it still work on my '04?

Lastly, Do I need a special tool to take off the impeller?

Thank you so much for your help so far MacGyver! Its tough finding info on these skis online, not to mention with the model changes between years its tough to know what works for which models or all models etc.

I feel your pain, ive been there. most parts dont list the 3d as existing and emails i sent never got answered.

*I got the R&D 97 XP grate and im really happy with it. The 3D ones listed had a tini scoop whereas the 97XP had a big wing scoop and a sharper trailing edge. (theres a picture on my mods thread)

*Im fairly certain your 04 will be the same as the 05- the main differences ive found are between the 787 and the 951 models.

*There is a special tool, i think like this but search ebay etc http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEAD...ZPersonalQ5fWatercraftQ5fParts#ht_1213wt_1167

Just curious, did you run the solas impeller with the OEM intake grate? Just wondering if getting a larger/more open grate allows more water flow and how that affected the impeller performance.

yeh i ran it with the stock grate for a while, fine on flat water but mostly im on choppy river water which causes a lot of cavitation. the new grate keeps full power more of the time and feels more planted in turns

Hey Guys!

So I have a ton of stuff ordered-
New Impeller (Solas ST-CD-10/16)
New Intake Grate (Solas XP-IG-B)
HydroTurf
Misc. tools and accessories.

Before I completed the order at iboats though, I was wondering where I can get a new wear ring for the jet pump. I'm assuming this would be required for a new impeller correct?

I can't find one that is made specifically for the 3D. I was thinking the 2001-2005 GTI has the same pump since Solas has the same impeller listed for both models. Unfortunately, iboats doesn't have a wear ring for either model.

Any thoughts? Or does anyone have a site I can buy the correct wear ring from?

Good lord I'm Jelous....

Hey Guys!

So I have a ton of stuff ordered-
New Impeller (Solas ST-CD-10/16)
New Intake Grate (Solas XP-IG-B)
HydroTurf
Misc. tools and accessories.

Before I completed the order at iboats though, I was wondering where I can get a new wear ring for the jet pump. I'm assuming this would be required for a new impeller correct?

I can't find one that is made specifically for the 3D. I was thinking the 2001-2005 GTI has the same pump since Solas has the same impeller listed for both models. Unfortunately, iboats doesn't have a wear ring for either model.

Any thoughts? Or does anyone have a site I can buy the correct wear ring from?

We can't seem to get above 50 degrees here in seattle, wa. As for the wear ring, if you're replacing the impeller, you might as well replace the ring IMO. Finding one...hmmmm. This is the place I order from over here : http://www.motoplex.net/

Awesome, that site doesn't seem to carry them, but the microfiche is helping me find the parts I need!

I just need to hunt down a Shoq Pole that isn't 400$ on ebay!

Pics and install story to come in a few weeks guys!

I'm doing the straight exhaust mod and battery relocation too, and I found the knee pad for cheap at parkers yamaha although shipping cost is a little ridiculous. Needless to say I am beyond excited. We hit 80 last saturday in MN so I realized I better get going. The water is still only 45 degrees though on the river, and probably colder on the lakes. SO luckily I have some time yet.

Git Er Done:)

Awesome, that site doesn't seem to carry them, but the microfiche is helping me find the parts I need!

I just need to hunt down a Shoq Pole that isn't 400$ on ebay!

Pics and install story to come in a few weeks guys!

I'm doing the straight exhaust mod and battery relocation too, and I found the knee pad for cheap at parkers yamaha although shipping cost is a little ridiculous. Needless to say I am beyond excited. We hit 80 last saturday in MN so I realized I better get going. The water is still only 45 degrees though on the river, and probably colder on the lakes. SO luckily I have some time yet.

Yeah I snagged a shoq pole last year for 40 bucks at parker's yamaha. Still can't find that elusive Kart seat for any less than 400 either. Telll you what, you look for the Kart seat and I'll look for the shoq pole:) Tell me how the knee attachment is and if a pair of 30 year old knees can handle it:p I'm super jealous that its 80 for ya. Have fun out there.

I don't have much for documentation on my ski- the guy I bought it from only had the title.

I know its a 2004, and looking at the stickers and black underside I think its a Premium. So I believe its a 787cc RFI.

Three more questions!

What brand intake do you suggest? I can find R&D which is a cool looking chrome finish or Solas which is cheaper and a black finish.

Also, the SOLAS chart shows that impeller works for 3Ds year 2005-2007. Will it still work on my '04?

Lastly, Do I need a special tool to take off the impeller?

Thank you so much for your help so far MacGyver! Its tough finding info on these skis online, not to mention with the model changes between years its tough to know what works for which models or all models etc.

you are correct. The 04 and 05 models have the same RFI engines in them. The 06 and 07's have the Direct Inject model engines.

I'll find a kart seat if there is one to be found. Same with the Shoq pole. I've got some emails out looking for either so I'll let ya know what I find.

Hey all. So I finally finished all my mods, had the jet pump rebuilt and installed a new battery I'm the left rear of the ski.

Now she won't start! It seems as though the voltage is fine, the ski is trying to turn over, yet it seems like the starter just can't quite do it.

I'm thinking the longer battery cables might be causing a voltage drop when the starter begins to draw current. Anyone else had this problem?

I have the battery fully charged but I do not have a meter to measure voltage, I'll be getting one to do it tonight...

what size cables did you run? i matched the existing cable size (about 16mm2) and it starts fine, if you went smaller it could cause a problem

what size cables did you run? i matched the existing cable size (about 16mm2) and it starts fine, if you went smaller it could cause a problem

I went larger then the original. I think its a problem with the connection to my mpem. Or the starter connections or the solenoid contacts.

Can anyone offer advice as to an easy way to access the starter? I can't even find it let alone wrench on it.

I believe it may be something to do with the mpem because the key is sometimes not registered. Perhaps when the starter pulls those cranking amps there's a bit of voltage noise and it stops recognizing the key.

The only other thing is when I take the spark plugs out, the ski turns over for as long as you push the button. Tired starter?

Thanks again guys

The starter solenoids always go, you can bridge the contacts with anything metal to see it that is it, otherwise the starters do need rebuilding sometimes.

Its hard to get out but the starter sits on the low side of the engine, i took mine out working blind and did the rebuild (put the armature in a cordless drill and run it with fine sandpaper over the contacts to clean them up)

I'm working on ripping the starter out currently. Bit of a pain.

No idea why this gut is trying to sell his Shoq pole here though lol. And only 450 dollars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back