'New' 2008 Speedster 150 never been used...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wake08

'New' 2008 Speedster 150.. advice please...

Hi guys

I am looking at purchasing a 2008 Speedster 150 that is currently for sale, the advertisement says it's never been used has 0 hours and neither the trailer or boat has seen water.

Is there a way to tell if it has been in the water and if the hours have been somehow wound back to 0?

Also, are the washers on the supercharger for this model metal or ceramic?

Finally is there any other things I should be weary/concerned about when buying a boat thats roughly 2 years old and has never been used?

Thanks
Wake08

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you purchasing this boat from a reputable dealer? If so you can be reasonably sure it has 0 or nearly 0 hours if the display says so and the boat looks brand new. If it's a private seller you need to ask why the boat was never used. Private sellers don't have access to the BUDS system so they can't "dial" it back to zero hours unless they replace the entire electronics. I doubt if even a dealer can do this using BUDS if the electronics were designed right.

Everything should look new, inspect it carefully. Look inside the engine compartment, if it is new the area will be pristine. Look at the hull, it should be free from scratches or other signs of use. Same for the trailer. Look at the roller bumper the boat is resting on. If it hasn't been used in two years the roller will be flattened.

There are an unusual amount of unused 2008 Speedster's still at dealerships around the country. The economy tanked in 2008 and a lot of boats went unsold. In 2009 the slight difference in price between 2008 and 2009 wasn't enough for most people to go with the 2008, but now in 2010 the price difference is more appealing and they'll probably finally be sold.

More than likely the supercharger has ceramic washers. They weren't changed by BRP until late 2008. If you look at the MSO it will show the build date. Also if the serial number has a C or D in it it may have steel titanium washers. There's no real way to know for sure unless you pull the sc. This is not a show stopper, you can replace the ceramics for about $120 if you do it yourself or about $250 more or less (check current prices). It should be done asap however, add this to price of the boat.

Any boat sitting unused for two years should be thoroughly checked out. If it's been sitting outside without a cover look for some sun damage. If it's been sitting outside with a shrink wrap cover look for signs of heat damage. Check all the rubber and the LED display for damage cause by intense heat. If the boat is from a dealer have him prep it for you. It should still have the factory warranty. Have the dealer fix anything that's wrong before you buy it. If you don't buy it from a local dealer don't expect a warm reception from him if you bring it in for problems.

Finally, new or not, don't even think of buying a boat from anyone unless you water test it first. Insist on this, it's vital.

Thanks for all that information, I didn't even think of the economic down turn being a factor in how many 2008 models are still available 'as new' but it does make sense.

Its a private seller so as for a water test it may be a bit hard to negotiate a water test BEFORE purchase, do you think starting up the engine with a garden hose attached for a couple minutes would be sufficient enough to make sure the engine at least runs ok?

I would pass on it.. If your saying its definately a private seller and not a dealer then I'm not sure if you would have any kind of warranty whatsoever.... also you will usually be able to tell by looking at the boat if its been used.. if it has 0 hours on it and is being advertised as new then it should have absolutely no marks or anything.. the engine bay should be clean enough looking to eat off of... but my main concern would be warranty.. what if you buy it and bam the engine is shot.. now just boughtt the boat and have to get an engine for it or what if there are other problems.. to me its just doesnt seem worth the worry or hassle... especially when it comes to something that will be used out in the water.. i mean a car if you break down you can always call for help or see a passing motorists.. no biggie.. but when on a boat you are sometimes out in the middle of no where.. and sometimes have no clue where you are at.. and there are no guarantees other will be out there to see you.. the first time i took my boat out we were in this little "strip" tha was probably about 3-4 miles long and we were just spinning around having fun but not 1 person passed in like 3 hours.. i mean sure you can have emergency paddles and paddle your way in but idk.. i would check dealers around you.. i have seen a ton of 08's.. where are you from?

With a private seller you have to much more careful. I assume there's no warranty. If you're getting a great deal on the boat you may want to take a chance. For example if you bought this boat for $13,000 you would still have $3k for possible repairs if the cost for the exact same boat at a dealer is $16,000.

If you can't do a water test then the minimum is to listen to the engine. First pull the dipstick and check the oil, it should be perfectly clean and at the right level. Look at the air filter, it should look new. If the owner will let you remove the supercharger intake hose you can check to ensure that it doesn't spin freely indicating that the ceramic washers are intact. Look very carefully at the instruments, there should be no error codes and all displays should work. The boat should start right up. Make sure the gas is fresh and not two years old. The engine should run smoothly. (Make sure the owner knows the proper way to run the engine from a water hose, many do not). When switched off the boat should stop immediately. Make sure the DESS lanyard works correctly.

After the run test check the action of the fwd/rev and throttle levers and cables. Operation should be smooth. Turn the wheel from stop to stop and have a friend check the jet nozzle for proper movement. Check the reverse gate operation. Get under the boat and look into the water intake. It also should look new. There may be some light rust on the impeller shaft but that not a cause for concern.

Check the nav lights, anchor lights, radio, and blower. Open all the compartments and check for proper operation. Look carefully at all the Fiberglas especially around the swim platform, and under the dash. Many SeaDoos have spider cracking there even on new boats. This is only cosmetic but you may not wish to buy a brand new boat with any cosmetic defects.

Look at the trailer wheels, they should be properly inflated and not have cracks in the rubber. Look at the bunks, and check the operation of the winch, and lights. Look for any signs of rust or cracking.

I still would insist on a water test. Any seller owes you that.

Fearthisinc,
I live in melbourne australia and seadoo boats are not very popular here in australia YET, so it's hard to find these boats and currently there are only about 10 for sale, only 3-4 with in driving distance, so unlike a PWC I can't be too choosy with going to a dealer or private sale.

To give all guys an idea, currently the speedster 150 2010 model is selling for around $40,000-$45,000, 2009 model for about $39,000 and the 2008 model which i'm considering is $27,900 australian dollars, so there is a lot of money to be saved and the only difference really is 215hp vs 255hp which i'm not fussed about.

$35K+ USA Dollars for a 2010 150 speedster? Wow, I don't feel so bad about $20k anymore.

I guess the higher prices are to cover the cost of shipping overseas?

wake08, don't let anyone fear you out of buying a used boat. It's not like just because it's used it's somehow a lemon or a demon. I bought a lightly used '08 model and got a great deal on it.

You can likely get a water test. Tell the seller that you'll sign a bill of sale contingent on a successful water test. That shows him you're serious and he'll make the effort.

The boat has an hour meter that you can see when it's powered up. If it has less than 1 hour on it, it will show "0". The fact that it is pre-owned means there's no factory warranty, so the value of the warranty is taken from the value of the boat.

Running the boat out of water isn't as good as a water test, but at least you'd know it's running! :) If the boat has gas and that's the same gas that's been in the boat for a long time, you'll have to address that. Find out when the owner actually bought the boat (you can't assume they've had it for two years--they could have purchased it recently and found they can't afford it). Find out how long the gas has been in the tank.

The battery might need replacing if it was allowed to be dead for a long time. That can kill some cells and keep it from holding a charge. But if the boat hasn't been used, you're likely to get a nice boat at a nice price. Just make sure it's well discounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back