Need Some Help With A New Boat Cover

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPass

So we haven't had our boat out since June 7th (very rare, but there were extenuating circumstances). When we opened her up today, we noticed quite a bit of moisture inside the boat and also some mildew. We use the factory mooring cover with some skirts we added to protect the black gelcoat.

The cover has pretty much had it. It's got little tears all over and the sun has degraded the material to the point where we believe it's time for a new one.
Cover 2.jpg
I've read plenty about the poppy covers and understand they're good for about 3 years (we plan on keeping the boat about another 2). I've also looked into some other brands as well, but would like some feedback from people who have tried the poppy's and others. Our boat lives in the driveway and we leave the bimini on the boat. The factory cover accommodates the bimini with some flaps and velco to go around the poles. Do the poppy's do the same?

So far we've looked into Poppy and Boat Covers Direct

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Plan on pulling the trigger tomorrow.Cover 1.jpg

Have you sprayed any waterproofing on the cover recently? Might be a good option for now?!?

Have you sprayed any waterproofing on the cover recently? Might be a good option for now?!?

I have and it doesn't last very long if at all. The cover has gotten pretty thin from the Fl sun. It's 3 years old and pretty much has had it. There's too many leaks to continue trying to fight. Boating is never cheap and we'd rather bite the bullet and replace the cover than keep fighting with the mildew from all the moisture getting in.

Just trying to figure which cover to get. We're not going to trailer with it, just use it for when we store in driveway. Poppy is nice, but it's only a 2 year warranty. The others have much longer warranties, but not sure of the quality or fitment.

The poppy is the same as the factory, they're not the manufacturer. It's made by the same company....Commercial sewing. Poppy is just a retailer of the cover. Either way, you'll know what you're getting.

Here's another place with just a few extra letters on the part number, exact same covers.

J&M Camper & Marine - Maine Camper, Pontoon Sea-Doo & Trailer Dealer

Similar yes, same no. Factory cover we have has a zippered access panel in the rear and flaps on both sides for the bimini poles. Either way, we had no choice.

Poppy has a 2 year warranty against non-owner inflicted damages. We plan on keeping the boat 2 more years, so as long as it lasts that long and keeps the water out, we're happy. Our current cover leaks like crazy and has been broken down by the sun so badly that it tears like tissue paper in spots. We took the cover off today to air out the boat and when I pulled the cover to latch the velcro, she tore again. Poppy cover should be her by end of week hopefully.

I think you'll be very pleased with the Poppy. We got one about a month ago and it fits like a glove. Yes, there are velcro flaps that fit nicely around the wake tower tubes on our boat, and the ratchet system gets a tight fit. It also came with center stands to put under the cover to make it drain rain water. There is also a zippered flap for the gas fill as well. It was pricey, but I feel well worth the money.

I think you'll be very pleased with the Poppy. We got one about a month ago and it fits like a glove. Yes, there are velcro flaps that fit nicely around the wake tower tubes on our boat, and the ratchet system gets a tight fit. It also came with center stands to put under the cover to make it drain rain water. There is also a zippered flap for the gas fill as well. It was pricey, but I feel well worth the money.

We opted for the one without the towers holes, so we'll just have to fold the bimini when we install the cover. We don't trailer with the cover, so not worried about that. Just need to keep the water out of the boat while she's stored in the driveway. Cover should be here by Friday.

What are you guys using for Water Proofing Spray ? My Poppy seems to be leaking a little during heavy rain. Thanks !

I used Star brite Waterproofing Spray, works very well. I used about a half gallon, probably a little over kill when applying I would go a little lighter next spring. Overall very happy with the product!

303 Fabric Guard. Has UV protection as well. Use it my convertible top as well. I think a gallon is around $55 on Amazon.

Either one you choose keep a close eye on it at Amazon, I have found both mentioned above as lightning deals and can save you 15-20 dollars for the gallon jug.

Cover arrived yesterday. Very happy with the fit. Now I just need to get the skirts added to the new cover to protect the black gel from the brutal Fl sun.
Poppy 3.jpg
Poppy 2.jpg

Yes, They are definitely nice covers !! I did notice that with the bimini top down, I can't use the two stern cleat holes but can still cover the stern and use the ratchet system with no issues. Minor issue but someting to be aware of.

Either one you choose keep a close eye on it at Amazon, I have found both mentioned above as lightning deals and can save you 15-20 dollars for the gallon jug.
Thanks Guys, The 303 sounds like a great choice with the UV protection, so I will give it a try and see how it works out. And I will certainly look on Amazon for a deal too !

Yes, They are definitely nice covers !! I did notice that with the bimini top down, I can't use the two stern cleat holes but can still cover the stern and use the ratchet system with no issues. Minor issue but someting to be aware of.

My bimini is down in this pic. I simply drilled 2 new holes in the rear pole leg 1" and 2" below the one provided. Works like a champ. All cleats attached.

My bimini is down in this pic. I simply drilled 2 new holes in the rear pole leg 1" and 2" below the one provided. Works like a champ. All cleats attached.
Funny, I did the same thing and it was still too tight. I even took the rear pole out and it was still too tight ! No big deal though, it still fits well with the rachet system.

Funny, I did the same thing and it was still too tight. I even took the rear pole out and it was still too tight ! No big deal though, it still fits well with the rachet system.

Interesting. The cover is tight, but not overly tight. I'm assuming it will stretch a little as it ages. How are you mounting the rear straps from the tent pole?

Interesting. The cover is tight, but not overly tight. I'm assuming it will stretch a little as it ages. How are you mounting the rear straps from the tent pole?
Under the folded down top. Straps being over poles makes it even worse.

I'm looking at getting a good cover for mine since all it has is a mooring cover. How does this cover work with towing? I tow it every were and I don't like to tow without a cover.

I'm looking at getting a good cover for mine since all it has is a mooring cover. How does this cover work with towing? I tow it every were and I don't like to tow without a cover.

I don't tow with the cover so I can't say, but it is rated as a tow cover and seems like it would do well as you can secure it very tightly and the cleat holes are heavily reinforced.

I only tow with the cover occasionally but when I do it works well. At freeway speeds it does need to be ratcheted down pretty tight.

I've towed with a poppy cover on for 11-12 hours from NY to NC. Hit some high cross winds in the appalachian mountains and no issue with mine coming loose, ripping or anything.
It trailers really well.

Anybody have any experience putting these covers on IN THE WATER? Man...last one I had I was lucky to not go swimming everytime I covered the boat.

Anybody have any experience putting these covers on IN THE WATER? Man...last one I had I was lucky to not go swimming everytime I covered the boat.

The Poppy on mine is right at or just below the rub rail. I know the ratchet in the back would be below water line, and it completely covers the swim deck on the back so you're going to have to get wet if you want to put it on in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back