Need some advice/help please.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soonerpike

New to forum. Currently own a Seadoo speedster 150 with 215 hp motor. It’s an amazing little boat but capacity is 4 persons. I have a family of 4 but my kids are getting to an age where they want to bring friends. I am looking to get a jet boat slightly bigger thinking maybe 8 people. I didn’t realize Seadoo quit making boats. Thoughts on an upgrade? The one I have has had very few issues and is just easy. I would like to keep it short (the overall length to accommodate my storage). Thanks for the help.

For new recreational jet boats, I believe your choices are Yamaha, or one of the newer contenders using BRP Rotax power plants, including Glastron, Scarab and Chaparral Vortex.

imo- stay away from the seadoo challengers jet boats with the mercury M2 240 efi jet drive systems at all costs with the 2-stroke motors! I've owned three challenger boats with the Mercury M2 240 efi engines and EVERY ONE HAS BLOWN! they have a bad oil injector design where a nylon oil pump gear on the crankshaft spins the oil pump- the gear wears out and stops spinning the oil pump. the first time it happened, I couldn't find anyone local in new England to repair it, had to send the entire blown motor to blackbird industries in PA for repair, $5k later had a new engine. Second time it happened (on a different boat, same engine) I sold the boat for $1500 and cut my losses. didn't learn my lesson tho- I bought another challenger 1800- didn't even get through one season before the engine blew- for the same reason- stripped oil injector pump gear. I bought a used engine off ebay for $3200, installed it and sold the boat for $4k- and will never buy a seadoo with the M2 240 efi mercury engine again! not to mention, they don't use replicable wear rings in the seadoo challenger boats with the 240 M2 Jetdrive- they are one-piece aluminum and cost $1200+ to replace- unlike the other challenger boats with the rotax engines that have replaceable wear rings. I have photo's somewhere I can post. IMO- you'll want a seadoo jet boat with the plain rotax 4-stroke engines without the supercharger. I had 2011 rxt & an 08 sportster with supercharged engines- the rxt engine blew when the super charger went bad with 86 hours on it, and the sportster sc blew as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back