Need Mechanical help-Northern CA Area!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! So, gauges not working and then every time I would get throttle to almost full speed a long alarm comes on. It runs fine and always has. There are some wires above black box by battery charger that were getting extremely hot and on top of everything the bilge pump is getting stuck or something so had to undo it from battery to make it stop. Took to shop and they put on computer and said no codes showed and said maybe due to disconnecting the battery so will now have to take back to lake to reset and see. Saying power to gauges and dash but they don't know where to look and said it is an electrical issue. They also ran it with hose for 30 minutes and no alarms went off. :( I assume because it's not getting throttle to a certain level. I feel like back to square one.Every since I lost key and had new key programmed that doesn't sit right on it seems like its just gone down hill from there. Any suggestions? Any mechanics near central valley or modesto area that are familiar with jet boats?

I don't get it, the ECU is what sounds the alarm and they are telling you that there are no codes?

How much fuel do you have? The only thing that I know that throws the alarm without codes is the low fuel warning.

Fully fueled. Right? So, the bilge pump was stuck on so when we got back from lake, my brother undid the wire for battery for it, they say he unhooked the complete battery and so that maybe reset things so it wasnt showing so now they want me to go take out on lake again and see if alarm comes on and then take back to shop to add to computer.

About 20 minutes into ride but i think its just at a certain RPM or speed is making it go off. Seems like when im about half throttle to a little more so of course if they had on hose for 30 minutes running didnt send off the alarm because not giving throttle. I feel like I need to find an old key and one that sits better on the start thingy

From your original post, it seems the dash is completely dead even the check engine lights, etc. and you have analog gauges?

It would be nice to know if the check engine light comes on during the alarm, would help narrow things a bit. As I am sure you know, without any trouble codes trying to figure out your problem is just a guessing game and you may need to throw parts at it until the problem just goes away. Ideally you would have the computer (candoo) hooked up while on a ride so you can see what is going on.

In absence of this, I will throw out 2 common problems which are the oil pressure sensors. There are 2 of these, one measures crank case air pressure (if your boat has TOPS) and the other actual oil pressure. These often go bad, are cheap to replace and pretty easy to do yourself if you have the shop manual.

Check out this thread from a few years ago: Oil shut-off solenoid

Hope this helps some

From your original post, it seems the dash is completely dead even the check engine lights, etc. and you have analog gauges?

It would be nice to know if the check engine light comes on during the alarm, would help narrow things a bit. As I am sure you know, without any trouble codes trying to figure out your problem is just a guessing game and you may need to throw parts at it until the problem just goes away. Ideally you would have the computer (candoo) hooked up while on a ride so you can see what is going on.

In absence of this, I will throw out 2 common problems which are the oil pressure sensors. There are 2 of these, one measures crank case air pressure (if your boat has TOPS) and the other actual oil pressure. These often go bad, are cheap to replace and pretty easy to do yourself if you have the shop manual.

Check out this thread from a few years ago: Oil shut-off solenoid

Hope this helps some
Hello there. So, took boat out today. Pretty calm lake all day though since it was Thursday. Drove for a long time but not at full speed and no alarms came on. Went and relaxed at an island then got back in and about 15 minutes later I let my friend drive and while driving finally the alarm went off and she said it felt like it was going limp or slowing down on its own. Then stopped boat then turned back on a few minutes later and then drove boat around for like 30 minutes or even more and alarms never came back on. I did notice a little bit of white smoke down where the ladder would be so coming from behind in back of boat when I had put boat into neutral. Don't think I have ever seen any type of smoke ever from the back ever before. Not really a whole lot of smoke but definitely saw some. Now that I am home I still feel like I smell exhaust smell. The dash is completely out and no lights ever came on when the alarm goes off. Those wires by the black box above battery, I think the Rectifier is called is beyond hot so I know that is an issue. Seems like there is something with the exhaust going on like maybe its running too rich. Oil is full, maybe there was too much oil put in? Idk, the fumes though seem more there. I have never been home from boat and still smell the fumes which is weird. I will check out the above what you mentioned. Thank you!

Hey there, Couple things I would check. behind the dash is a power distribution block. pull gauge and you should be able to check to make sure wires are good. Check condition of wires for corrosion there and at artery switch . Also check your grounds. Not just battery but engine grounds. Make sure not corroded and then put back in tight.

Like Devonte, check the tops valve as well the front oil sensor.

Pull the oil dipstick. How’s the condition of the oil. What color, does It shimmer in light etc.

A little White steam is normal. A lot can be an issue, possibly from being on the hose so long.

As far as the shop. I probably wouldn’t go back to that shop. Unless they had a tank the boat was sitting in they likely damaged the carbone ring running on hose that long. Should never go past 2-3 minutes let alone 30. No water on seals is bad news. Not to mention they’re not sure how to troubleshoot.

Take some video next time out. Open the engine bay while riding and shoot video there. As well back the boat when you see the steam etx

Hey there, Couple things I would check. behind the dash is a power distribution block. pull gauge and you should be able to check to make sure wires are good. Check condition of wires for corrosion there and at artery switch . Also check your grounds. Not just battery but engine grounds. Make sure not corroded and then put back in tight.

Like Devonte, check the tops valve as well the front oil sensor.

Pull the oil dipstick. How’s the condition of the oil. What color, does It shimmer in light etc.

A little White steam is normal. A lot can be an issue, possibly from being on the hose so long.

As far as the shop. I probably wouldn’t go back to that shop. Unless they had a tank the boat was sitting in they likely damaged the carbone ring running on hose that long. Should never go past 2-3 minutes let alone 30. No water on seals is bad news. Not to mention they’re not sure how to troubleshoot.

Take some video next time out. Open the engine bay while riding and shoot video there. As well back the boat when you see the steam etx
Yes, that is what I am thinking about when they said they had it running with hose that long. When I saw the white smoke which I have never ever noticed in any times out in prior years had me concerned. All night and today I can still smell the exhaust fumes so there must be something wrong with the fumes not going out to the vents properly maybe. I did turn on blower before starting it like im supposed to. We looked at the oil and oil looked good no shimmer in it. The shop mentioned about my tach meter not working and stuck but I don't want to replace that when all the other gauges are out and all went out at the same time so need to figure that problem out first. Will be looking for a shop that is actually by the water so they can put in water if need be and not running on hose. Oh and the rectifier/regulator wires are beyond hot like ready to catch fire. I told him that when I first took to shop and he said when he had on hose and checked it out it did not feel hot to him but yea, for sure is not normal to not even be able to touch it. Thanks for advice.

What engine do you have? Supercharged?

How was the oil color, amber colored like new, black or kind of a light chocolate milk color?

If it’s white smoke where didn’t have previous to going to shop then they might have knocked something loose, hence the exhaust smell, or they could have done damage with possible melted head gasket caused by them running for so long on hose. Which would explain the white smoke( white is going to be a water based vs blue which is oil burning) No way for the antifreeze to get cooled and could have melted the gasket which could also have several other major issues.

Check the exhaust pipe hose connections on top and bottom to make sure they’re attached and tight.

The electrical may be a short somewhere. Have you checked all the fuses even the ones tucked in the back of the battery switch? Regulator could be going out too. Can test with a voltmeter to see

What engine do you have? Supercharged?

How was the oil color, amber colored like new, black or kind of a light chocolate milk color?

If it’s white smoke where didn’t have previous to going to shop then they might have knocked something loose, hence the exhaust smell, or they could have done damage with possible melted head gasket caused by them running for so long on hose. Which would explain the white smoke( white is going to be a water based vs blue which is oil burning) No way for the antifreeze to get cooled and could have melted the gasket which could also have several other major issues.

Check the exhaust pipe hose connections on top and bottom to make sure they’re attached and tight.

The electrical may be a short somewhere. Have you checked all the fuses even the ones tucked in the back of the battery switch? Regulator could be going out too. Can test with a voltmeter to see
Hi. I think its the supercharged engine. The white smoke dissipated quickly go and was right near the back where the water meets the boat. It came out when sitting in neutral and was just a little like would come out maybe about a foot then disappear quickly it didn't really keep going in the air or anything like that. I believe we looked at all the fuses but haven't looked at them after taking it out this last time. My brother went out the prior time on boat and thinks it seemed more like when we hit big waves that it would make the alarm go off and this last time I took it out since it was a pretty calm day that is the reason it only went off once. I see there are a few inexpensive sensors I could change out. I'm thinking about just ordering those myself and changing them out? Like the knock sensor, exhaust temp sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, oil pressure sensor. I wasn't driving it this last time when the alarm went off just once but my friend was and she said it seemed like it felt like it slowed down on its own and so I assume it went into limp mode and the limp mode shows the CTS,EGTS, and OPS. In order to stop the alarm though I had to pull the key. Then when I restarted it, it turned on but with no other code and drove around for a long time even full speed with no alarm to come back on. I think the prior day I took out though it was much more bumpier of a ride and thats why it maybe was going off more. Would that be the Knock sensor?

If you are going to play sensor roulette, just go and buy the Candoo software.

Did the shop you took the boat to have software to view codes? Often they don't but won't tell you that.

It would help tremendously here as you will know what is going on.

If you are going to play sensor roulette, just go and buy the Candoo software.

Did the shop you took the boat to have software to view codes? Often they don't but won't tell you that.

It would help tremendously here as you will know what is going on.
Yea I thought about buying that too. I may in the future order it since I plan on keeping the boat for a long time. Are there different ones for different sea doo boats or pretty standard one? I found a great mechanic that should be looking at my boat this week. yah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back