Need help! problem with rear impeller

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Im trying to get the seadoo ready for the water.

I started it up and it is making a vibration/rattling noise from the nozzle area.

There is some grass visible in there, could that cause a problem for something like this? What needs to be done at this point?

any advice for newbie appreciated

here is a youtube link of video of noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwbHUyh-x-8

Everything sounds the way it should from what I can tell. That rattle is normal when the ski is out of the water.

I was going to start new thread but guess I will jump on here. Bought two 2005 RXTs last year. Would only buy them if Sea-Doo dealer serviced and checked them out. They did. And re-built both turbos. Ran awesome all summer. I followed winterization maintenance by the book. Did green one first and everything went and sounded fine. Did red one second and once I cranked it up on maintenance stand it had an awful ringing vibration sound coming from underneath. Traced it to its loudest point which was from the inlet grate. I noticed impeller boot had separated from impeller and had risen up on shaft. So I figured impeller bearing had gone bad.

Long story short I replaced pump w/ one from SBT and installed re-man impeller and new boot from SBT. Ran through de-winterization and ran it on stand and the noise is still there. It is not a good sound at all. Sounds like metal on metal. And gets worse and extremely loud when you increase the RPMS. It is easily 10x times as loud and higher pitched than the vid in this thread.

I'm guessing I need to buy the drive-line rebuild kit to replace the components at the other end were it connects to the PTO? Or is there something to replace where it goes through the hull?

Blue

I was going to start new thread but guess I will jump on here. Bought two 2005 RXTs last year. Would only buy them if Sea-Doo dealer serviced and checked them out. They did. And re-built both turbos. Ran awesome all summer. I followed winterization maintenance by the book. Did green one first and everything went and sounded fine. Did red one second and once I cranked it up on maintenance stand it had an awful ringing vibration sound coming from underneath. Traced it to its loudest point which was from the inlet grate. I noticed impeller boot had separated from impeller and had risen up on shaft. So I figured impeller bearing had gone bad.

Long story short I replaced pump w/ one from SBT and installed re-man impeller and new boot from SBT. Ran through de-winterization and ran it on stand and the noise is still there. It is not a good sound at all. Sounds like metal on metal. And gets worse and extremely loud when you increase the RPMS. It is easily 10x times as loud and higher pitched than the vid in this thread.

I'm guessing I need to buy the drive-line rebuild kit to replace the components at the other end were it connects to the PTO? Or is there something to replace where it goes through the hull?

Blue

If you're hearing the same sound he is in the video above then nothing is wrong other than the impeller boot coming loose. All you had to do was tighten that back on the impeller.

"It is easily 10x times as loud and higher pitched than the vid in this thread"

Not the same sound. Much louder. Green ski sounds much quieter like one in vid on this post. Red ski is almost unbearable to hear run. Especially when you increase RPMs. Sounds like it is about to grenade.

The reason I noticed is because I have two ski. I have one for a basis.

I'm not up on these smart phones or videos or how to post. I guess I could try to record and post.

I've got the pump out of the green one to replace wear ring an impeller. I'll probably pull the pump out of the red one, since I'm certain something is wrong and it will have to come out anyway, and put the pump from the green one in it to verify whether it is pump or something else.

Remove the pump then and spin the impeller by hand. It should not make any noise and spin 3-4 times after you let go of it. No side to side play either.

" I replaced pump w/ one from SBT and installed re-man impeller and new boot from SBT"

Installed a new pump assembly, new wear ring, new impeller, and boot. Checked them out thoroughly before installing. I'm certain they are good.

If you go to the origin of the sound it is coming from under the ski. And you can pinpoint it coming from inside the inlet grate. From the topside, listening from inside the engine compartment you can not hear it. Everything sounds normal. So maybe it is not the other end of the drive shaft where it connects to the PTO. Is it possible there could be a problem where the drive shaft goes through the hull where the carbon ring is located. What kind of sound does it make when the carbon ring goes bad??

Blue

If you are running it out of the water, that carbon seal can make a heck of a racket if you dont spray some water on it periodically. Did the noise come when it was out of the water? If so, try it again and have a squirt battle with the soapy water and spray the carbon seal every 10-20 sec.

heck of a racket if you dont spray some water on it periodically.

I am running out of water on a maintenance stand. What about when you first start? A "heck of a racket" noise starts as soon as you crank engine. Best I can describe is a bad metal on metal ringing. It gets louder and faster when you increase RPMs. It is correlated with the engine RPMs.

If so, try it again and have a squirt battle with the soapy water and spray the carbon seal every 10-20 sec.

Are you talking about using a spray bottle w/ soapy water? Where do you spray? From under ski back towards hull where drive shaft comes through?

The other ski does not have this sound. It actually sounds great. Runs smooth, sounds sweet when you throttle it a little bit. The red one makes me cringe it sounds so bad.

" I replaced pump w/ one from SBT and installed re-man impeller and new boot from SBT"

Installed a new pump assembly, new wear ring, new impeller, and boot. Checked them out thoroughly before installing. I'm certain they are good.

If you go to the origin of the sound it is coming from under the ski. And you can pinpoint it coming from inside the inlet grate. From the topside, listening from inside the engine compartment you can not hear it. Everything sounds normal. So maybe it is not the other end of the drive shaft where it connects to the PTO. Is it possible there could be a problem where the drive shaft goes through the hull where the carbon ring is located. What kind of sound does it make when the carbon ring goes bad??

Blue

I've never personally heard a bad carbon seal. However from what I've read about them, sounds like you may have a bad one. Or the bellows around it could be the problem also. They fail more than the carbon seal. I hear its a pain in the a$$ to replace a carbon seal.

Found issue! I'm new to Sea-Doos so I did not know this. Problem occurred when impeller boot separated from impeller on red ski. While riding water flushed grease from impeller hub were drive shaft connects. The green ski still had boot on impeller and still had sufficient grease in the hub which apparently cuts down on the ringing of the impeller on the drive shaft while it is rotating. The red ski on the other hand had little grease left in hub and the impeller was rattling on the drive shaft. I assume the impeller to drive shaft is not a high tolerance press fit to accommodate removal and installation of pump assembly.

The fix: When I installed new pump the first time I did what the service manual called for and lubed the end of the drive shaft and impeller hub w/ synthetic grease. What the manual should say is to fill/pack the impeller hub w/ grease, lube splines on drive shaft and where impeller boot fits on shaft.

I packed enough grease in hub that when I got the pump on the drive shaft and pump almost seated I could feel the pump grease pushing back slightly. I kinda pumped it easily a little at a time until pump was fully seated. You can see where a little of the synthetic grease oozed out of the front of the boot.

Hooked everything back up and fired it up and yeah! Nice and quite like other ski and sounding sweet!

Yea that'll do it. I can't believe that slipped my kind. I read that last post and couldn't help but feel like a dum dum. Lol

I just replaced my wear ring today and cleaned out the old grease and replaced it. It actually got a little quieter than before.

In the water you will not hear any such noises however.... with the water loading down the impeller, it will not rattle. The synthetic grease you put in the splines will wash out eventually... though it's not a bad thing by any means to have some lube in there to help keep the spines from wearing when you are running it dry on trailer or stand I pump some marine synthetic grease onto my spines whenever I have the pump off for any reason.

When in doubt about a strange noise coming from the pump while running dry on a trailer or stand, go put it in some water and see if the sound doesn't disappear... in most cases it will not make any noise at all running wet as opposed to dry.

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back