Need Help in Boat Purchase!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lashk

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted your opinion on a boat I looking at buying. It is a 1998 Seadoo 1800 Challenger. The seller just went thru a divorce and wants to get rid of it. She is an attorney and is 27 years old. She had to go out of state after I had contacted her about the boat and she had a friend bring the boat to a Seadoo dealer in town to have it tuned up and checked out, which cost her $390 because I saw the invoice.. While she was still out of state I drove over to the dealer to find out about the boat. They said the boat was in very good shape. They ran a compression check on both engines and went through all mechanical parts. They said everything was good. The boat does need a good cleaning as the seats have some mildew on them. There are no tears in the seats and the hull had no visual damage. When she got back, she told me she would be willing to drop $500 to allow for getting the boat detailed which I would do myself. Now, here is the deal. When I asked her about taking the boat out to test drive it she said that she is way to busy and would not be able to take me out. She said she would understand if I would be uncomfortable about buying the boat this way but she would be willing to compensate. I then called the dealer back that had worked on it and asked, if in their opinion, if there would be any surprises that I might encounter if I bought the boat and than took it out on the water. They said that they had done a very thorough check on the boat and everything checked ok. He said the only thing they don't do is crawl under the boat and look for holes in the hull. He sounded very confident that the boat should be fine. So my wife called her back and asked if she would be willing to take $4500 for the boat, (asking price was $5500, NADA is $6200-5400) and she said yes. So under the circumstances I've given, do you think this would be a good deal? Thanks

It sounds as it would be worth the gamble. If all 4 cylinders are above 135 psi I would think that you should be ok. I would allso have them check the oil in the jet pumps. all of this should have all ready been done in my opinion when it was serviced. Do a visual inspection of the bottom of the boat if you mess something it should be so minor that it should not be that big of a problem to fix. I would at least start both engines out of the water for a couple of seconds it will not hurt any thing to do this without water.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back