need help diagnosing problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhongRacing

Hey guys need your help diagnosing a problem with my boat it’s a 2008 230 wake with twin 215 SCIC motors, had the boat out yesterday in the river all day towing skiers and tubes boat run very good but at the end of day going back to the dock had to idle thru a 1 mile no wake zone, went to get back on the throttle and noticed the port engine would not go more than 4500 rpm and would not build any boost (I have boost gauges installed on both motors) luckily I was at almost at the dock, loaded it onto the trailer, opened up the engine cover, did a quick visual inspection to see if any hoses or lines came off, didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. You think I’m going to have to remove the supercharger and check the washers? If the washers did go you think I did any engine damage?

Any help would be appreciative
Thanks in advance

The washers could just be slipping. There have also been stories about them locking apart, and reaching in, and giving the impeller a twist some times frees it.

Depending on how many hours are on your boat... it may just be time for a rebuild.

As long as the washers didn't break... your engine should be fine. If you pull the S/C and the washers are damaged or missing, you need to strip the engine down to retrieve the hunks of the washers.

I removed the intake tube from the supercharger and could spin the impeller by hand very easily, i check the other supercharger and was not able to spin the impeller, so apparently i have the infamous clutch washer issues i thought they fixed this issue in 2008 boats, any tips on removing the supercharger? and would you install riva gen-2 impeller while the supercharger is out? is it worth the money for this upgrade?
thanks

If you can spin it by hand easy... then chances are... the washers have shattered. That engine may need to come out, and be inspected.

As far as "SeaDoo Fixing the problem in 2008"... no, they didn't. The new style washers are better... but they keep using a ceramic compound that is prone to catastrophic failure. They need to just change over to a hard steel washer that just slip when they fail. Or better yet... just get rid of the washers all together. (very poor design in my opinion)

About the new S/C impellers... that's up to you. In my opinion... for a twin engine boat... the $$$ spent won't equal the performance gained.

ok i ended up removing both superchargers the port charger has 1 missing washer
the other washer is still there, i really dont have any means of pulling the motor to inspect it, what would you think if change oil and filter, removing oil pump and cleaning the gears and screen, i know i wont be able to completely remove everything from the motor this way but trying to get it to last this season and maybe pull the motor over the winter,

thanks for your help, dr. honda

The cost of the new motor is the chance you take deciding whether to run and ruin or remove and be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back