Need advice on value of a 1990 Seadoo SP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigoid

:willy_nilly: Argh... I am in desparate need of advice.

I am in the habit of getting older things and getting them working again, be it Pinball machines, boats, etc. I came across this Seadoo 1990 on CL and he was looking to swap it for a pinball machine, arcade, slot machine, etc, some other toy. He'd had it as a project to soup up and beat his son's Kawasaki. He'd bought several aftermaket add-ons, many you can see in the pictures:
Please look at these pictures I snapped when I checked it out last night
I have a nice Williams Flash Pinball machine I've restored, and realistically value it around $800-$1000 range. Its plug and play and ready to go for the barter/swap, which is definitely not what this PWC is. The engine compartment is dirty. Its registration is over 10 years out of date. When his older son sold off his PWC, he lost interest in the hobby and its langushed in the garage, on the custom dolly they made. No trailer is available and the length of the hull has been scraped up from hauling it in a truck during a move. The motor was purchased online from someone the seller knew, and has had good business dealings with in the past (professional crating when shipping, last motor shipped started right up when installed. Timing predone).

But.

1. I'm buying something from a stranger without being able to test drive it.
  2. I know its going to need a professional mechanic to assemble the parts and install them.
  3. I'm going to have to replace several items, from the storage lid's rotting anchor straps to some of the fuel and other lines that look kludged.
  4. Need new battery, and perhaps wiring harness.
  5. When it was in use, it sounded like the guy maintained it well, he could point out the lube points and other things.
  6. I've no idea if the bilge pump/starter/etc will work after storage for 10+ years.

And I know there are a dozen other things to look at.
The engine compartment shows no signs of fire or major leaks.
While there is some spiderwebbing on the fiberglass near the nose of the bow, it doesn't look like its ever been crashed/abused. (looking all inside the hull there are no signs of fiberglass patching).
The styrofoam is clean and not melted or beat up.
The seat is a newer replacement one. (will need a new mid strap)
The impeller blades looked okay.
It has a aftermarket carb (not installed), original carb, aftermarket exhaust manifold (in picture), some fugly leather add-on that is mounted to the nose bumper trim supposedly to minimize spray, aftermarket performance head (not mounted on engine yet) and the starter I have been told is in good shape.

I like to think I can read people pretty well. This guy's getting older, and his knees aren't up for the challenge of riding, and he's lost interest in the hobby now that his sons are grown up and moving away. He needs the room in the garage for his youngest son's Golf Cart repair business. He is throwing in the custom dolly the ski sits on, so I'll be able to easily move it around while I work on it. He has a full set of manuals on it including the professional service manuals. He's trying to clear out the other sons stuff and get his gameroom back in order (he used to service arcade and pins during the lean dot-bomb times when his regular work wasn't an option). I don't think he is trying to scam me, but at the same time, I am not sure what a project PWC like this without a trailer is worth.

When I started restoring my Nordic speedboat (has a 1976-77 Merc 150HP inline 6),
Nordic Boat when I bought itI had to understand that no parts were available from the manufacturer of the boat, and the motor, while a solid quality item, can be a bear to find parts for and/or mechanics that will work on something that old. So, I have to make some calls and see who in the Denver area works on antiques. And I'll have to get my hands dirty on this one two whenever and whereever I can. It looks like you can stiill get parts for this, am I right?

This is meant to be a present for my wife since she blew out her knee last year water skiing. She's rehabbed to the point she went snow skiing this winter with a brace, and wants to get on the water again later this summer. I don't know if she will be able to water ski, but I know she'd be thrilled to get back on a PWC at least, and blast around the lake. (We owned a Kawasaki Jet Ski 2 seater, but we sold it right after moving to Colorado 10 years ago).

:hurray:
SO FINALLY, MY QUESTION: What is your appraisal of this PWC? Is it worth the trouble to restore and is it a fair trade? I can't afford to buy a new one or even buy a working used one, so its this or just stick with the boat.

that was really a long thing to read and i am on the phone, but i will tell you a 1990 sp in good working shape will for for about 1500 here with a trailer,

Also, forgot to mention he also has installed an aftermarket rev limiter for higher rpms.
I noticed this PWC has absolutely no gages. Is there a reserve cutover valve for the fuel?
Also is there an instrument cluster that can be put in? (My wife's driving this so I want things to be able to warn her somethings not right.)

If it runs and you can do a lake test then ya
Sorry, I thought I mentioned the engine is not installed completely and has not been tested since it was bought. So no lake test, no bench test. I am having to take a big risk. He is throwing in his life jackets and other spare parts and equipment. If I had the cash I would consider offering him something that way but I need to make sure I get as much as I can for my trade.

I sent the owner some questions and since I did not see the new carb, I want to make sure what condition it is in before I move forward on the deal. At this point he knows I am interested. As far as I know, he could very well be reading the forum posts too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol oh well if he is everyone is like that bying a used ski there are so many things that could b wrong and sometimes not worth fixing. If the hull is in real good shape and you like it there not really hard to work on, but I could not get a older ski like that because I love speed Haha. But good luck. U got any pics

Yes, I have 18 of them embedded in the original posting. You just have to click on the URL link I inserted.

It does look pretty clean, did you check to see if motor was locked up or anything. Really you can dp all the work on these things its just going to be a pita hoping after you do all the stuff like replace fuel lines, oil lines and filters and rebiuld carb that it will fire up and run. You won't be able to tell if wiring is good and starter, but really they are not bad to work on and if your looking for a project get it. And lots of people here can help as well.

This project is a real crap shoot. If you think you will enjoy fixing this ski its an O.K. deal, financially not so good.

If you want to restore this to original condition, from the pics. the hull looks in pretty bad shape, to make it look good you will need to gelcote the hull.

Parts for older skiis are going to be scarce or non existant, you're not going to find new parts only used. When it comes down to it this is a BOAT (Break Out Another Thousand).

You are going to need a trailer, which for some reason don't come cheap, you could expect to pay 250-300 range.

If it were me I would buy a later model ski, 96-2000 that was running and in good condition, more stable, faster, less maintenance, for about 1500-1800 and be on the water.

If you think you would enjoy a project boat then go for it. It's going to be expensive and time consuming (time you could be at the lake).

The other option is you could part the ski out, since these parts are scarce you would do O.K.

Lou

I do not know where you live but I bought this 94 SP with no trailer for 75.00 off Craigslist..I live in Nebraska so maybe they sell alot cheaper here..

It did not run but did turn over and a few things were partially disassembled for some reason..The The guy did show me it did turn over by crossing the sylenoid..He did not realize you have to have a lanyard installed for it to turn over and get spark.

Put about another 75.00 in replacing fuel and oils lines and a couple little missing parts which were easy to find and cheap used..Alot of parts available used and thats better than the high priced new stuff anyway..Anyway it runs great now and was maybe lucky and you may not be so lucky..There one here on Craigslist right now thats a 92 I think with no trailer for 125.00 OBO but the motor is out of it in a box..

Like I say thats a high price it appears for a SP from where I live..Trailers are not that high here..I paid 150.00 for one a couple years ago and have seen them cheaper..Goodluck however if you purchase it and hope you can get a better price and it runs if you do..

Attachments

• ski.JPG
    ski.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 12
I might have over estimated the price of a trailer, you might be able to pick one up chaeper. However the fact remains that 800.00 (in value) is way too much for a project ski.

Lou

Damn minbetonka4me I want to move were you live everything here is so overpriced. Someone is selling 2 94xps for like 5500 obo

:willy_nilly: Argh... I am in desparate need of advice.

I am in the habit of getting older things and getting them working again, be it Pinball machines, boats, etc. I came across this Seadoo 1990 on CL and he was looking to swap it for a pinball machine, arcade, slot machine, etc, some other toy. He'd had it as a project to soup up and beat his son's Kawasaki. He'd bought several aftermaket add-ons, many you can see in the pictures:
Please look at these pictures I snapped when I checked it out last night
I have a nice Williams Flash Pinball machine I've restored, and realistically value it around $800-$1000 range. Its plug and play and ready to go for the barter/swap, which is definitely not what this PWC is. The engine compartment is dirty. Its registration is over 10 years out of date. When his older son sold off his PWC, he lost interest in the hobby and its langushed in the garage, on the custom dolly they made. No trailer is available and the length of the hull has been scraped up from hauling it in a truck during a move. The motor was purchased online from someone the seller knew, and has had good business dealings with in the past (professional crating when shipping, last motor shipped started right up when installed. Timing predone).

But.

1. I'm buying something from a stranger without being able to test drive it.
  2. I know its going to need a professional mechanic to assemble the parts and install them.
  3. I'm going to have to replace several items, from the storage lid's rotting anchor straps to some of the fuel and other lines that look kludged.
  4. Need new battery, and perhaps wiring harness.
  5. When it was in use, it sounded like the guy maintained it well, he could point out the lube points and other things.
  6. I've no idea if the bilge pump/starter/etc will work after storage for 10+ years.

And I know there are a dozen other things to look at.
The engine compartment shows no signs of fire or major leaks.
While there is some spiderwebbing on the fiberglass near the nose of the bow, it doesn't look like its ever been crashed/abused. (looking all inside the hull there are no signs of fiberglass patching).
The styrofoam is clean and not melted or beat up.
The seat is a newer replacement one. (will need a new mid strap)
The impeller blades looked okay.
It has a aftermarket carb (not installed), original carb, aftermarket exhaust manifold (in picture), some fugly leather add-on that is mounted to the nose bumper trim supposedly to minimize spray, aftermarket performance head (not mounted on engine yet) and the starter I have been told is in good shape.

I like to think I can read people pretty well. This guy's getting older, and his knees aren't up for the challenge of riding, and he's lost interest in the hobby now that his sons are grown up and moving away. He needs the room in the garage for his youngest son's Golf Cart repair business. He is throwing in the custom dolly the ski sits on, so I'll be able to easily move it around while I work on it. He has a full set of manuals on it including the professional service manuals. He's trying to clear out the other sons stuff and get his gameroom back in order (he used to service arcade and pins during the lean dot-bomb times when his regular work wasn't an option). I don't think he is trying to scam me, but at the same time, I am not sure what a project PWC like this without a trailer is worth.

When I started restoring my Nordic speedboat (has a 1976-77 Merc 150HP inline 6),
Nordic Boat when I bought itI had to understand that no parts were available from the manufacturer of the boat, and the motor, while a solid quality item, can be a bear to find parts for and/or mechanics that will work on something that old. So, I have to make some calls and see who in the Denver area works on antiques. And I'll have to get my hands dirty on this one two whenever and whereever I can. It looks like you can stiill get parts for this, am I right?

This is meant to be a present for my wife since she blew out her knee last year water skiing. She's rehabbed to the point she went snow skiing this winter with a brace, and wants to get on the water again later this summer. I don't know if she will be able to water ski, but I know she'd be thrilled to get back on a PWC at least, and blast around the lake. (We owned a Kawasaki Jet Ski 2 seater, but we sold it right after moving to Colorado 10 years ago).

:hurray:

SO FINALLY, MY QUESTION: What is your appraisal of this PWC? Is it worth the trouble to restore and is it a fair trade? I can't afford to buy a new one or even buy a working used one, so its this or just stick with the boat.

If you wind up getting it and parting it out... I would love to get my hands on that pipe!!!!!!!!. Or if you decline his offer...if you could let him know I am interested in that pipe. looks like a PJS performance pipe. .........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back