need advice difference in gas consumption

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry666

here is the story

i own a 2005 challenger 215 S/C with +- 180hrs on it . maintenance well done S/C rebuilt at 90 hrs so planning on doing 2nd rebuilt this winter
my father own's a 2007 challenger S/C 215 with only 50 hrs on

last week end we went for a ride together , they were 2 in the boat and we were 4 , riding at the same speed and about the same take off we both launch with a full gas tank

but at the end of the day i put 79 litre(+-21 gallons ) of premium and he put 49 litre(+- 13 gallons ) of premium

so here is my question WHAT could be wrong with my boat or what can i do to fix the problem

like i said maintenance is up to date , is the S/C could do that much difference , somebody told me to change or remove flame arrestor , wich i don't even know where it's located , need your advice plz

here is the story

i own a 2005 challenger 215 S/C with +- 180hrs on it . maintenance well done S/C rebuilt at 90 hrs so planning on doing 2nd rebuilt this winter
my father own's a 2007 challenger S/C 215 with only 50 hrs on

last week end we went for a ride together , they were 2 in the boat and we were 4 , riding at the same speed and about the same take off we both launch with a full gas tank

but at the end of the day i put 79 litre(+-21 gallons ) of premium and he put 49 litre(+- 13 gallons ) of premium

so here is my question WHAT could be wrong with my boat or what can i do to fix the problem

like i said maintenance is up to date , is the S/C could do that much difference , somebody told me to change or remove flame arrestor , wich i don't even know where it's located , need your advice plz

Ouch is this for reals, are you saying you spent 21 gallons of fuel in one day?

yikes how many hours were you out, if your impeller and wear ring don't have a good seal, aka wore out, it would require more motor to do the same as the other boat.

wear ring is brand new from last fall , and yes i'm saying i burnt 21 gallon of fuel in 1 day i was out on the lake for the hole day but riding for maybe +- 4hrs overall

21 gallons is nothing. I usually do 30 on an average outing in 4 hours. I've had a couple of days over 50. Could the weight difference of 2 people vs 4 make that big of a difference? I know I have a big difference when I have the boat weighed down.

i agree that 21 gallons isn't that much but keep in mind that the 2007 challenger took 13 gallons for the same ride , passenger difference was about 120 kilo i don't think that weight is the main fact , im still thinking about a mechanical issue , just wondering WHAT?

Wow guys, I took my speedster out again today, from 2:00pm to 5:30, non stop 6400rpm to 6850rpm 3.5 hours, 3 people on board at all times, but all I burned was a quarter tank again!! Is this right?, only a quarter tank of gas?

Wow guys, I took my speedster out again today, from 2:00pm to 5:30, non stop 6400rpm to 6850rpm 3.5 hours, 3 people on board at all times, but all I burned was a quarter tank again!! Is this right?, only a quarter tank of gas?

Probably. Now realize you have a 155 , non sc, which is more fuel efficient at those rpms compared to the 215 supercharged, plus its a 400+lb lighter boat than the challenger.

Is that a 1/4 tank on the gauge? Or did you start with a full tank, then go refill after to see how much you put in? The latter would be the true way to tell as my gauge doesnt move off full until im nearing half tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably. Now realize you have a 155 , non sc, which is more fuel efficient at those rpms compared to the 215 supercharged, plus its a 400+lb lighter boat than the challenger.

Is that a 1/4 tank on the gauge? Or did you start with a full tank, then go refill after to see how much you put in? The latter would be the true way to tell as my gauge doesnt move off full until im nearing half tank.

I started with a full tank last week, used it 4 hours last week, only quarter of a tank, used it today like I mentioned, again another quarter of a tank.. So I left today with a half a tank (came in with 3/4 of a tank). I AM AMAZED...

In all honesty, buying my new speedster has "saved" me money, unbelievable how I didnt need to spend money on oil, and I burned less fuel.... Wow... What a trip.. Of course let's see how long that lasts. Anyways I don't want to hijack the OP's thread..

I would think if you boated enough you could "almost" pay for the 4tec in fuel use over a 2 stroke, I do for sure, but I'm comparing my 70s 2 stroke outboard to my 2011 4tec jetski.

after reading my owner's manual it say' that if the engine is gas guzzling too much it could be du to a clogged or dirty FLAME arrestor , and that it should be clean or changed , is anybody know where that part is located, how difficult it is to change it? and maybe the approx price of it ?

after reading my owner's manual it say' that if the engine is gas guzzling too much it could be du to a clogged or dirty FLAME arrestor , and that it should be clean or changed , is anybody know where that part is located, how difficult it is to change it? and maybe the approx price of it ?

The intercooler that is inside the intake manifold acts as the flame arrester on the 215 motor, which is constantly flowing fresh water from outside the boat. I would think you would see some rpm loss if it were to clog though, as your intake charge temps would go up up up. If you want to check it anyway, you can do so without pulling anything from the boat. Just locate and remove the hoses going into the end of the intercooler, then attach a slow water supply to the inlet of the intercooler and see if it comes out the outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back