My worst nightmare-help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtyaker

I just purchased a 2001 Speedster, Merc M2 engine. I had a dealer perform a compression check first-all good 115-120 each, but the impeller, wear ring and grate needed replacing. I bought the boat from the private party at a reduced price, $6000 and had the dealer do the repairs ($1800). I bought the boat home to my house, 200 miles from the seller and dealer.

I put it in the water and it ran for 15 minutes and quit. The local dealer now claims I have a bad cylinder-20psi on compression. They want to replace the engine, $6500 more dollar!

What should I do, beside cut my wrist?

I think you might want to check with that first dealer!!

You need to get a second opinion...rather a third opinion.

While I am not the first to point fingers and play the blame game, the first dealer have a little explaning to do if the second dealer is right. Whether you pay for the inspection or not, you went to them with for a evaluation of the boat. They gave it a clean bill with minor repair. Either he is lying or the second guy is lying. You need to find out.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd call dealer A and tell them your situation. Its totally possible that "at the time of testing" the compression was good and ironically after the first outing it failed. I dont know but I too would be trying to find out what is what. Is it possible you ran that 15 minutes with no oil?

BTW, Jim, love the avatar.

Craig

I still think a third opinion is needed.

I think you want to verify it before calling the first dealer. The second guy might be wrong. If so, then everything is good.

If it is confirmed that a new engine is needed, then you need to contact the first dealer to discuss what happened. I trust Craig if he saids that it could happen....but that opens up a whole new discussion. What should someone do when buying one of these in the future?:willy_nilly:

Thanks for the compliment...been trying to get a better shot...Hopefully in the next week or so! Did you get your boat yet? How was the bike trip? Photos of both??:cheers:

I live in Montana and these are two of the only three dealers around,, 3rd opinion would be hard to come by. Dealer B did perform the test 3 times dry (13, 18 and 23psi and again wet, no improvement).

I thinking it's going to come down to sell the boat with a bag motor and take a $6,500 hit or have $14,000 into a $7,500 boat.

Don't know which is worse?

Also, the boat had oil, not the problem. I assumed it was a bad fuel filter, as it ran find between episodes of shutting down.

Have you talked to the first dealer?

Bummer to be in that predicament!

Have you talked to the first dealer??? What did they have to say about it?

I live in Montana and these are two of the only three dealers around,, 3rd opinion would be hard to come by. Dealer B did perform the test 3 times dry (13, 18 and 23psi and again wet, no improvement).

I thinking it's going to come down to sell the boat with a bag motor and take a $6,500 hit or have $14,000 into a $7,500 boat.

Don't know which is worse?

13,18 and 23??? if that are the readings then you have more then 1 bad cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back