My turn for a question (PolyTec hull)

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjilafouine

Took my Sea-Doo outside the garage today for cleaning and waxing and for the first time since I bought it last July, took a good look under the ski.

My GTI 90 has a Polytec hull and I I started cleaning the sides with a vinyl and rubber cleaner (Maguire). All the side were smooth and well finished but when I finally crawled under the ski, the hull finish was very rough like if it had not been sanded on the bottom in the manufacturing process. Guess I could take a picture but when I say it wasn't smooth, it really wasn't like if someone did not care about how the bottom of the hull looks like. Of course, my ski was never beached. I doesn't look like cracked or anything like that but it has a really rough finish.

Has anyone else noticed that on Polytec hulls?

There's one train of thought that a rough underwater surface creates a faster craft than a waxed, slick one. I have no idea

It would seem that there are a lot of complaints on the finishing of the new Seadoos. My guess is that quality control isn’t what it once was. A new molded hull should be perfectly smooth in my opinion.

There's one train of thought that a rough underwater surface creates a faster craft than a waxed, slick one. I have no idea

It’s not faster as a rough surface would have more drag than a smooth one.

Now back in the day the race teams would take a brand new hull and with 60 grit sand paper the would go in only one direction from the bow to the stern and make hundreds of scratch channels. These would act like micro grooves that helped the skis stick in the turns. They maybe lost a mph or two but gained it in tracking.

The inside bottom of the hull is very smooth but the outside really sucks. But the sides, front and back are smooth. Only the bottom isn’t from the water intake grate for the more flat part.

I’ll take a picture tomorrow if rain stops. You’ll see for yourselves. When I look at the ski it looks great and I never looked under until today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back