My nightmare got worse

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYeti

Well I have a previous thread from awhile back where basically I had redone the carbs over the winter and then took it out for the first test drive of the season and I could throttle up and not move very quickly then I ended up replacing the wear ring hoping that was the only damage. Took it back out for another test amd after the boat stalled out I found I was taking on water. Towed back to the dock and brought it back home. Took spark plugs out and repeatedly started to get water/fuel/oil mix out of motor. I beleive it was mostly water. Now boat wont start. The starter will some times act like its hydrolocked so not sure if its actually the starter now too but even when Im able to crank it, it wont fire. I've removed and dried plugs multiple tiles while trying. I gave up feeling defeated again today. To top it all off the bilge pump will work in the driveway (after initially blowing it out with air compressor) but anytime its been on the lake it conelveneintly doesnt work.
At first I had thought maybe I had enough water in the hull that day it sucked in to the carbs but I'm now not thinking there was that much water to get to that height BUT maybe it was high enough to affect the starter(?) I really don't know for sure. I am guessing I need a carbon seal now too? But want to get this thing started so it can be winterized asap before spending any money on fixing driveability issues. Before this last trip the motpr started and ran right away and compression test was good.
In case your curious here is one of the old threads... Any suggestions? At all? I really should get this running asap before winter here to winterize at least. Really need spme help on this one...
Throttle up and no go...?

Last edited:
you should start from the beginning because you had water in the hull.

Does the starter turn over with the plugs in and out?
When the plugs are out and you run the starter does anything shoot out of the plug holes? This would clear any water in the engine.

I've done that. It seemed to be hydrolocked at firdt when I got home did that multiple times then let it sit a week or so. Got back at it and still seemed to have some "misting" of water vapors coming out. Did that until basically nothing came out. I had the fuel line pinched off for awhile just to make sure there would be no accidental flooding or anything. The starter seems like it will work sometimes other times not amd it just acts like its hydrolocked (like, click and nothin happens) thats even with the plugs out. I tapped on it a cpl times while trying to hit the start button woth my toe (makes things trickier without a second set of hands) At one point I did get it to almost sputter like it would try to start. But at that point there was still someisting in the cylinder coming out. I had removed and reinstalled the plugs multiple times while clearing it out just checking for wetness on the plugs and trying to start it.
I had thought of putting a fresh set of plugs in and preheating with a heat gun or possibly putting some fuel in the spark plug hole first too, to try and give it a kick start. I duno. Really not sure what to do. I just got it to the point where it would start first try no problem before this happened.

so you will need to begin with the starter and why it is intermittent. Starter, starter solenoid, ground issue, dess, dess post, starter switch. Do this without the plugs in until you get a reliable start. Then move onto spark, compression, oil and fuel.

to begin bridge the solenoid with a set of crappy pliers and send power directly to the starter to see if the starter is "strong".

As Rusty said above ^

I had the same issues when I first got this boat. Numerous issues with starting were present. This is what I did and it cured the starting issues;

1. Press button, Click and Nothing: Replaced starter solenoid in electrical box. This was bad as the contacts inside it were worn out and not making contact.

2. Press button, Starter engages then stops: Starter brush contacts were old and the contacts in the starter were caked with filth. I replaced the brushes and cleaned the contacts in the starter. The same starter has been in the boat for years and I've had no issue since.

3. Put keyfob on post and no beep: Replaced post. Cleaned fob and bent in the two side contacts on the fob inward to make better contact.

4. Thoroughly cleaned all cable ends at battery, through solenoid in electrical box to the starter. You want these to make a good clean connection. Any residue, even if it looks minimal, can cause issues. It's best to make sure they're nice and clean just to be sure to rule any of that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back