My jetboat is Not starting...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertf8

hello, to all.. am new to this hopefully someone knows what could be wrong..
I have a 97 sea doo sportster i just bought it.. the previous owner didnt start it for like a year and a half. when i got it it started but sounded as if one cylinder was misfiring it had a little sttuter in idle.. then when your in drive and you go sometimes it would go good but sometimes it would lag and even if the throttle was wide open it wouldnt go faster than 5 miles.
i checked the compression its at 125 both. which i think is good right? when i pulled the plugs they were black and smelled like gas.. i cleaned them and put them back and it wont start... after like 7 tries i took the plugs out again cleaned the oil/gas off the bottom of the plugs and when i went to start it it started .. ran it for like 15 minutes turned it off.. 2 minutes later it didnt start i took the plugs out again and cleaned but it didnt start. so now it dosent start ....
What could be wrong?? some people tell me the carbs need cleaning could this be it.??
Please hellpppppp

Pull the carbs apart and clean them. Chances are that they are plugged. Be careful not to damage the diaphragms or you'll have to replace them. There is a parts diagram available in the "parts" link at the top of the page of you want to see what's inside before you pull them apart. I would do one at a time, and use the other one as a model if you forget the order of parts. The carbs are similar but not exactly the same. Clean all the fuel lines too. We have manuals here in the "Premium Members" section, in the library if you need better view and pictures of the internals. If you get in a jam, give us a shout and we'll help out.

Karl

Do they sell a carb cleaner spray that i can spray while they are on.. or should i just take them out and clean them?? ..

also, should i replace any fuel lines or furl filterswhile am it??? where are the fuel filters??

If it still has the original gray fuel lines, it is a good idea to replace them. They disintegrate into the fuel, and really muck up the works.

Another thing on this older ski, is to put NEW and properly gapped plugs in it, and to trim off 1/4" of the spark plug leads, to make sure they are getting good contact.

Sea Doos. Fun when running, and posting on the forum, when they are not!

Nate

Robert everything that your looking for is in the seadoo manual you just paid to have available to you. Everything from plug gaps to carb. adjustment and carb rebuild, including pictures. You need to read the manual in the appropriate location for the information.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back