MPEM MR2535 Diode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to sort my 5amp fuse blowing issues. I have yet to replace the diode to see if this is the issue. In looking on how to do this i ran across a tread on anther side that mentioned drilling trough the diode to break the short and then running an external diode between the red/purple and ground. IS this an option as well? If not what does this diode actually do? and between what parts?

if your ganna do the repair id suggest not running a external diode because of moisture.... A diode is a semiconductor device that essentially acts as a one-way switch for current. It allows current to flow easily in one direction, but severely restricts current from flowing in the opposite direction. This is why you blow the fuse it allows to much current for the 5 amp fuse to handle

I am looking to sort my 5amp fuse blowing issues. I have yet to replace the diode to see if this is the issue. In looking on how to do this i ran across a tread on anther side that mentioned drilling trough the diode to break the short and then running an external diode between the red/purple and ground. IS this an option as well? If not what does this diode actually do? and between what parts?

It's easier said than to be done, but it has been done with replacing a bad diode for about $5 vs. buying another MPEM. The biggest challenge is getting through all that plastic like filler material to reach it.

I am not an electronics guy but I made two test MPEMS for my 1996 SPI. Not very pretty but I connected an external diode that was easily replaceable. I had a bad rectifier that was causing the diode to blow in the mpem. Once I replaced the rectifier and tested the systrem with my test MPEM and got the ski running, I purchased another good MPEM and installed it.

found it was indeed the diode. Replaced it and she ran well for about 5 hrs yesterday. But now the fuel gauge has stopped working.....

found it was indeed the diode. Replaced it and she ran well for about 5 hrs yesterday. But now the fuel gauge has stopped working.....
Most likely not related.....a non working '97 fuel guage is a "typical" issue. Could be: 1) the fuel baffle screen fell out of the baffle so the float fell out too 2) the internal FI fuse on the fuel baffle circuit board is blown (you can cut into and bridge the fuse - PITA process far as I was concerned, so I just bought a new baffle assembly.

I send my baffles off for $50 each. I don't have time, tools and I hate it. :) I'm not sure that fixes all of them anyway so I let them deal with it. I try to keep a supply of them on hand so I can just replace and move on.

Yeah, unrelated, but since you replaced the diode on the MPEM, removing the fuel baffle and making the repair on it should be a walk in the park. As mentioned above, float dropping out, not floating, etc, or the continuity has broke internal with the little F1 fuse. It's an easy fix you can check it with the multi meter before you put it back on the ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back