Motor swapping in xp models

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rotax923

New to this and it may have already been talked about somewhere on here. I have a 1993 650 xp got for a awesome price and it was in really good shape for the year. Motor blown which reflected the price. I recently acquired a 1995gtx model with a 656x motor in it. If i swap the X motor into the regular 650 what all does it involve? All the 657x electrical comes with the motor as well or What? And insight to this would b greatly appreciated

You'll have to check the stator wires. I vaguely remember a 4 and 5 wire system. @Matt Braley will know exactly what you need to do. Hang tight and hopefully he'll chime in. Welcome to the forum!

Just move the entire electrical system too. BUT... to do a swap like this... you will 100% need an alignment tool. So budget $150 for that.

Just move the entire electrical system too. BUT... to do a swap like this... you will 100% need an alignment tool. So budget $150 for that.

Anything else I should be aware of. For the most part seems like a pretty much direct swap seeing as the motors are very similar just the X is a bit more hp

Should be bolt-in. Oh... you probably want the base metal (mount) from the X engine also. For some reason... in the back of my head... I think it was slightly different. (deeper, so you may need a couple extra shims)

Should be bolt-in. Oh... you probably want the base metal (mount) from the X engine also. For some reason... in the back of my head... I think it was slightly different. (deeper, so you may need a couple extra shims)

Yea I got everything to do the swap minus the alignment tool. And will have to get some shims together. Thanks for the input man. Appreciate it

It's good that you have the whole donor ski. That way you can use the pump from the 657X and you will have any wires or throttle/choke cables that you might need.

Yea it is good there side by side to. Swapped the X motor into the hull today. Completely disconnected the electrical from the gtx today. The gtx instrument cluster has more happening inside of the 2 guages compared to the xp. So the harness ends aren't the same as they have more wires for gtx guages does this mean I'm going to have to splice them ? My buddy is in avionics and works on west jest planes so I'm sure he can handle if that's what it's gonna take

Attachments

• 1530042570605418860461.jpg
    1530042570605418860461.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 15300426011671957919928.jpg
    15300426011671957919928.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
Not if you are swapping all the electronics. These only have an idiot light for low oil and low fuel and a beeper for overheating. There technically are not any "sensors".

Okay mite go that route then. The gtx guages do have a Speedo but u would need the paddle wheel on The rear of the hull to corispond with that and make that guage functio

Not anymore. There is a product from Candoo Pro that plugs in and makes the stock gauge GPS accurate via a sensor that can read through the hull. Or you could just get a plastic plug for the gauge hole.

Not anymore. There is a product from Candoo Pro that plugs in and makes the stock gauge GPS accurate via a sensor that can read through the hull. Or you could just get a plastic plug for the gauge hole.

Mite just keep the stock rpm guage instead of the gtx Speedo. Looked into it last night u would need to bring the transducer line with the guages and paddle wheel if u went that route and the line is sized to the gtx hull length so it would be like 2ft longer and it mite be an issue. If i run the new electronics with the old rpm guages I just have to tie into the stator to send a reading back to the guage. Otherwise the gtx main guages are all gonna work out okay by the looks of it. And I had to swap the vts module into the gtx electronics box as it has no vts from factory?? Is that because it would interfere with the reverse system potentially?

Talked to a guy today who said all I would need yo do is swap stator from these 2 motors today and he said it could use the original 93 set up? Is this true he said one wire in the stator wouldn't be utilized that's all?? Anybody ??

Im interested. I have a 95 GTX and a spare 717 motor and I would love to swap them out as the 717 is a 110hp motor compared to the GTX 85hp. If all I have to do is swap the stator im all in lol

THe 95 GTX is a 720 engine that is rated at 85HP, not 110HP, the 787 is 110HP and not a swap for the 720 and smaller engines.

All 720's are rated at 85HP.

Update. After everything lol she runs excellent. Out ran my buddy of his 720xp. His wear ring seems to be over the service life of the allotted .040" but she is an absolute blast! All I did was swap stator and flywheel and away we went. Very easy!!!!

1995 GTX has a 657X engine. The 1996 GTX with the 787 is a HUGE jump in performance. HUGE !!
I like the 717 in the 1996 GTI, it has a few knots over the 657X engine.

That's where my donor motor came from a 95 gtx 3 seater. Lol and for the whole 950$ I got invested into the entire setup I couldn't ask for a better machine. Very light and maneuverable. And the vts even works mint to!!

I like the short hulls too myself. My Cousin has a 95 SPX with the 657X engine. That thing comes out of the water really good when you hit the gas. I love they way they turn. I ride em like a dirt bike. :D :D

I just finished working on a 96 SPX that I am almost done breaking in. I tell ya... that is all the ski I will ever need for me. I love it !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back