Michigan area "destination/long" rides

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

KayakNFly

I picked up another 96 xp and now that I have two looking to do some fun longer rides around the southeast michigan area with the fiancé. I normally go to Belleville lake but am getting bored with that. Any ideas for rides? Want to go 1-2 hrs gas up and eat somewhere then 1-2 hrs back. Willing to drive 1-2 hrs also to start the ride.

Lake St. Clair would be a good choice for something like that. You can launch at st. Clair metro park and cross the bay towards Canada then take the south channel up around harsens island. Come back down the middle channel and stop for lunch at Brown's. However it can be a bit rough out there even on my RXT so your XP would take quite a bearing crossing the bay I would think.

That's exactly the idea of a ride I was thinking of.
How rough does it get out on St. Clair? And how many miles would you say it is to browns? Xp only has about 40 mile range. Rough water wouldn't bother me but it might get old for the girl if it's really bad. Thanks!

I have crossed St Clair on a 96 XP on a perfect day in early September and once you get out into the blue (When the water actually starts to look blue) you can count on 1 to 3ft seas. Like I said thats on a perfect day with little to no wind and lots on lake traffic. I have also rode from Sandusky bay out in to Lake Erie and down the coast. The key to riding the X4 hull in any big lake or ocean condition is riding slow (10 - 15mph) and parallel to the waves, riding directly into the swells will make life very difficult very quickly. Obviously you should do your homework on conditions that day before heading out because you do not want to be caught in anything over 3ft seas riding that hull. Prepare for a work out, Take your cell phones and tell people where your going before you leave.

If you take the route that I think KK4 is talking about your round trip would be approx.41 miles If Im taking you thru the right channel. Make Google Earth your friend.

Attachments

• Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
It's somewhere around 40 miles give or take. If you wanted to go straight up the middle channel Brown's isn't very far. If you have any wind over 15mph you'll get some nice swells and you will most likely end up riding into them. Sometimes that can slow me down to about 20-22mph on my RXT just to keep it in the water as much as possible. Any faster and all I'm doing is burning fuel in mid air. That will also reduce your range a bit.

Had no idea you could do that on google earth. Guess I'll have to download it and check it out even though I hate google.
Well, we will ride some more on inland lakes till the girl feels comfortable about lake st Clair. But it looks like a fun ride.
Here's a pic from Saturday overflying. Was checking out possible routes.
image.jpg

Great picture! It really makes it look small but when you get out there on an X4 you will almost definitely be the one feeling small. Its 7 miles from metro beach ski launch to gull island which I can see both from your aerial picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    898.8 KB · Views: 15
I always wondered where gull island was. Now I know. Thanks. Only lived in Michigan for 2.5 years and never been out on St Clair. The rivers/channels look fun to run at speed.
Here is a better pic and some others of a close up of gull island and a raft off they had going on.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are fantastic pictures and your welcome! Let me know ahead of time when your going out there and the wife and I might join you. Also if you need any advice regarding the 96 XP I have been through the ringer and know a lot about them.

Those are fantastic pictures and your welcome! Let me know ahead of time when your going out there and the wife and I might join you. Also if you need any advice regarding the 96 XP I have been through the ringer and know a lot about them.

Thanks a lot!

Back