Methanol | How much is too much?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BTR

2005 RXT 4-TEC 215 HP.

There's water in my gas. I've run out all but about 1/2 gallon of gas. I'd like to put an entire 12 oz. bottle of HEET (yellow bottle; methanol) into the 1/2 gallon of remaining fuel, let it sit overnight, and run it out (until it stops running) the next day.

Is this too much methanol? Will this harm the engine?

Thanks for your help.

Why? Because I don't know how much water's in the gas. Therefore, I figure more Methanol is better... and will do a better job of removing all of the water. Agree? Disagree?

Methanol is hygroscopic, it attracts water... Good luck with experimenting.
Just dump the fuel and get new fuel, issue solved.
Aren't we speaking about ethanol?

If there is only 1/2 gal in the tank then there is no way of knowing how much of that 1/2 gal is water and fuel. If it's only a ounce or two of water then the HEET will probably do it but follow the bottle. If it is much more than an oz or two no amount of HEET will help.

THe safest way to get the water out would be to siphon the remaining liquid out of the tank.

Can anyone tell me how to "jump" the fuel pump so I can use it to drain the fuel tank? I plan to disconnect the fuel line (somewhere between the fuel pump and the fuel rail) and then turn the fuel pump ON... in order to drain the fuel tank. 2005 RXT 4-TEC 215 HP. Thanks for your help!

Just fill the tank, dump the bottle of HEET into it, and move on.

As a note on how things work... Gas and water don't mix, so if you have water in your gas tank, it will pool at the bottom of the tank and get sucked up as just water, which does not burn. Adding alcohol to this mixture will cause the water molecules to be attracted to the alcohol, and distribute them evenly in a mix of gas, water, and alcohol, which will burn as you run it through the motor.

Technically you could try dumping the full bottle of HEET into what you have left and try running it, but it's a gas motor, not alcohol. You may find that the thing won't run or be impossible to start. Whatever you do, don't let the thing sit too long with a high concentration of alcohol in the fuel system, it will deteriorate the various lines and seals.

As far as jumping the fuel pump to empty the tank, I don't know all the details on the setup of a Sea Doo, but for cars, many who have done this have burnt their fuel pumps out. The pump relies on the gas for cooling and lubrication. This works in normal use since when you run out of gas the motor stops and so does the pump, unless you are forcing the pump to run because you hot wired the thing.

Thanks for the offer, but I fixed the problem. I ended up removing the fuel pump and replacing the fuel filters. I've attached pictures of the external fuel filter.

Sea-Doo - Fuel Filter 1.jpg

Sea-Doo - Fuel Filter 2.jpg

There is a reason you should not use any of the alcohol based fuels. Q have a car that runs methanol all pipe work is steel or Teflon fuel lines as It will eat away plastic on desolve rubber hoses. And you have more problems. Also after I run the car need to change the oil too. Buy small pump and suck from bottom then use compressor to blow air to evaporate water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back