Gelcoat with a PreVal sprayer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavesNotHereMan

Summary:
- The PreVal worked fine
- I got a LOT of Orange Peel
- Blending is a bi$&*h

In another thread, some forum members were interested in the results of my repairs for some dock damage on my 2011 GTI LTD 155. It is Marina Blue, which is a metallic gelcoat. This was my first experience with gelcoat. I was warned about blending issues with metallics.

Here is the original damage. There are two areas of damage.
299.jpg

300.jpg

That gash is about 3 1/2 " long and is .020 to .037 deep. You can see the jagged edges. The second picture is edge damage about 1 1/2 " long.

I used a Dremel and carbide bits to clean up the jagged edges and followed that up with 120 grit dry paper in a detail sander:
301.jpg

302.jpg

I filled the area with 3M Premium Marine Filler:
303.jpg

I used a heavy fill coat, sanded it with 120. Did a skim coat, sanded it with 120. Did a second skim coat, sanded it with 120, then 180. It looked like this:
304.jpg

305.jpg

It is perfect. Run a finger across with your eyes closed and it is a perfect fairing.

I cleaned the entire area with Acetone, masked it off and used a "rolled edge" technique to help with blending. That did not work well as you will see later.

Ok. Ready for Gelcoat.

I ordered the Gelcoat directly from Gelcote International. Gabriel was a great help. Here are the materials:
306.jpg

The gelcoat and MEKP hardener. 2 PreVal sprayers (Home Depot - < $5 each). Evercoat PVA (from Amazon). Acetone, because I literally could not find Styrene. Blue nitrile gloves (Harbor Freight); gelcoat is sticky. I also used a cheap plastic painters tarp to cover the entire ski to make sure nothing got hit with overspray.

Ready to spray:
307.jpg

The PreVal sprayers have a glass bottle for material and it is graduated in ounces and Milliliters. I used 10 drops of hardener per ounce of gelcoat. I also could not get a good spray with about a 10% thinning with Acetone. I would guess I was closer to 15 - 20%. There is a filter on the bottom of the draw tube that can be removed, but I did not.

I sprayed on a piece of scrap until I got a good spray pattern. About 2-3 seconds. I sprayed a light coat directly over the repair area. It goes on thick - like spraying Latex paint. DO NOT SHAKE like a rattle can. It sprays "clumpier" if you do that.

The gelcoat material I used is not waxed. It is laminating gelcoat. That means it will get tacky but will not cure, so you can put on multiple coats. It took nearly 10 minutes to get tacky. After reading everything I could about gelcoat, I learned three things: 1) Tacky is measured by poking a finger into the gelcoat and when no material transfers to the nitrile glove, you can apply another coat. I touched the overspray on the masking tape. 2) You will get orange peel. Expect to wet sand after curing. I let it cure for 3 days. 3) you must use PVA over the last coat in order to seal the gelcoat so it can cure. You can also mix a wax additive in the final coat, but I bought a 2nd PreVal and sprayed it on. That was a piece of cake and worked perfectly.

Waiting between coats, though, creates a second problem. As the gelcoat catalyzes on the ski, it also begins to set up in the bottle. I was able to get the second coat on, but had to clean and remix before the third. Also, it was only about 60 degrees when I started, so I warmed the area with a shop halogen light before I started. It was recommended that the temp be 70 degrees.

Ok, 3 coats then a misting and a heavy coat of PVA:
308.jpg

I pulled off some of the masking and let it sit for 3 days. Here, you can see my first mistake. The blend line was too close to the tape and I got a sharp line. This created a problem later. And check out that Orange Peel - a little scary.
309.jpg

So, today I cleaned off the PVA, it is water soluble so it came right off. Then I got to sanding and polishing. 5 hours worth. I used 120 to knock it down. Then 180, then 220, then 220 wet, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500. Then Meguiar's medium cut with a wool pad, then Meguiar's Marine Polish, with a foam pad, then a wax. The finish is spectacular. What is not so good is that blend line. I am not happy with that at all. I was warned about blending with metallics and tried to get a blend. With a slight color difference (the aged gelcoat is slightly darker, combined with a sanded blend line that looks like it is thinner than the metal flake specs, because it looks like a blue line).

Here is the final product:
310.jpg

And here is the blend line: you can see my reflection and I held up a bottle of the polish to attempt to show the refraction that occurs. You can only see it straight on in bright sunlight.
311.jpg

It bothers me enough that I may go back and extend the blend line. I also took off so much material with the sanding that I have a little witness in the smaller repair. 6 coats would be better.

I think the Orange Peel was more textured than I expected. It could be the sprayer, it could be the temperature, it could be the extra thinning I needed to get a good spray or all of the above.

Hope it helps and if anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

I've used duratec additive for spraying gel coat which helps prevent orange peal, sets up quickly and no wax needed for cure. can sand the next day. i used a regular automotive spay gun from lowes and worked out very well.
if i remember right, i just used duratec hi gloss additive to thin it down and thats it. do some research here's a start.http://www.fibreglast.com/product/D...in_Additives?gclid=CJimr9K5nMwCFc1hfgodLi8KIQ

here's some more info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t45KuOLDA8

a link to my repair not perfect but good enough for me,
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?67577-99-seadoo-gsx-rfi-semi-restro/page2

Thanks, [MENTION=62942]jammin777[/MENTION] . I thought I watched every You Tube video there was, but somehow missed this. Maybe the word "additive" through me off course. The link back to your Resto was great. Wow, you started that 3 years ago! I also have an 01 GTX RFI. Love it. My daughter likes it better than the 2011. Jump on, plug in, hit the start button and go. Simple.

The video talks about 1:1, but your thread talks about 25:75 for the hide coats. Can you elaborate? And no PVA? It really cures open air? How much texture did you get? And you used an automotive sprayer? I have a detail sprayer(suction) and an HVLP sprayer (gravity cup). Which one and what PSI? Maybe worth a comparison, but this was a test of the PreVal. Since the video says it thins it a lot, that may help the PreVal approach. I take it that you did not do the whole wet sand series because it was in the bottom. Just compounding?

The duratec should only be used in the last few coats as it make the gelcoat opaque and it will not cover properly, it mixes in 50/50 with the catalyzed gelcoat.

One more thing I would have used gelcoat thickened with cabosil to fill the gouge instead of the filler , some fillers have reactions with gelcoat and will not allow it to harden when it is applied over them, any epoxy based filler will work as well, but that's just me.

I used the 3M filler because it says it is specifically meant to have gelcoat over it. It is poly based. Since this was my first time with gelcoat, I did not realize how thick it was. The gouge was definitely small enough to mix with cabosil and gelcoat.

What do you mean by "opaque". Since this is metallic, don't you want some translucence?

Thanks, [MENTION=62942]jammin777[/MENTION] . I thought I watched every You Tube video there was, but somehow missed this. Maybe the word "additive" through me off course. The link back to your Resto was great. Wow, you started that 3 years ago! I also have an 01 GTX RFI. Love it. My daughter likes it better than the 2011. Jump on, plug in, hit the start button and go. Simple.

The video talks about 1:1, but your thread talks about 25:75 for the hide coats. Can you elaborate? And no PVA? It really cures open air? How much texture did you get? And you used an automotive sprayer? I have a detail sprayer(suction) and an HVLP sprayer (gravity cup). Which one and what PSI? Maybe worth a comparison, but this was a test of the PreVal. Since the video says it thins it a lot, that may help the PreVal approach. I take it that you did not do the whole wet sand series because it was in the bottom. Just compounding?

25 percent duratec and 75 % gel coat no wax added and of course added hardener. i did 25 percent duratec to keep the gel thicker for heavier coating blemishes and 50-50 final coat for curing. yes air drys excellent without wax and was able to touch it without tackiness within a few hours. i didnt wet sand but i did dry sand with heavy grit all the way to 1000 grit, then used heavy buffing compound with a power buffer, then med grit, then light grit and finally hand wax. came out very glossy. i started seeing gloss after sanding with 1000 grit. the duratec also helps the spray evenly with minimal orange peel.
i just used a regular automotive spray gun, cant remember the tip size, and if i remember right, i think i had my compressor set at 55- 60 psi. you may want to google that to make sure as it as been 3 years ago and cant quite recall.

i like you spent many hours on the net for info on how to do this.
my love for my gsx rfi dwindled as it had a nasty hard start on water grimlin, did every thing but replace the mpem! by that time the wife hated me spending so much money on it and forced me to sell it and buy a brand new ski! yep, shes a keeper. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. What I have will work fine, but I just do not like that blend line. I think I will go ahead and try the Duratec. I will still use the PreVal as a test, even though I doubt it is at 55 psi.

The Prevail will work fine, blend lines on that are going to be hard to deal with and the bigger you make it the bigger the blend line, looking at your pics your best bet is to spray back to the two corners then all you will really see is the lines in between, also lighten way up when you get close to a taped edge, the more you can avoid buildup at the tape line the easier it will be to feather and blend in, a lot of times I will back mask something like that so the gelcoat hits the tape and bounces back off.

Watch the following vid to learn about backmasking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaH7QBsSHXE

Last edited by a moderator:
The Prevail will work fine, blend lines on that are going to be hard to deal with and the bigger you make it the bigger the blend line, looking at your pics your best bet is to spray back to the two corners then all you will really see is the lines in between, also lighten way up when you get close to a taped edge, the more you can avoid buildup at the tape line the easier it will be to feather and blend in, a lot of times I will back mask something like that so the gelcoat hits the tape and bounces back off.

Watch the following vid to learn about backmasking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaH7QBsSHXE

Thanks, the video was helpful.

I used paper to do the backmasking, but I made a mistake on that forward line and hit the underlying tape, creating the hard line. The second mistake was not putting enough coats on to account for the orange peel. I basically sanded 2 coats off and screwed up the blend line along that designed hard line defining the foot wells.

I think if I use that hard line as the top and extend the blend area under the registration numbers, gelcoat between the rub rail and that hard line, then I will get better results.

anytime I can blend under a decal or reg numbers that is what I do, like I said if you can extend it to a corner I do that as well, anything to fool the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back