mercury ecm 859610 for 240 efi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmaldo69

Does anyone know where I can purchase or get my ecm rebuilt? I have a 2002 utopia 205 and I believe my ecm gave out. Boat won't turn over.

The ECU doesn't "Turn over" that engine. It's a simple solenoid and key switch. Use a meter, and make sure power is flowing between those switches.

The ECU doesn't "Turn over" that engine. It's a simple solenoid and key switch. Use a meter, and make sure power is flowing between those switches.

I was not aware. I will try this. I was first told that it was the stator . Then when I looked it up and it said stator underneath the boat. It didn't make sense since It was showing it under the flywheel. One guy said my boat doesn't have a stator and it was my ecu computer that tells everything to turn over. So I tried to find one and find someone to rebuilt it and it wasn't until recently found someone in California who does. But I haven't sent it, I appreciate your advice and would appreciate your input on what that guy said on the stator. The boat just turns and just won't fire up.

I was not aware. I will try this. I was first told that it was the stator . Then when I looked it up and it said stator underneath the boat. It didn't make sense since It was showing it under the flywheel. One guy said my boat doesn't have a stator and it was my ecu computer that tells everything to turn over. So I tried to find one and find someone to rebuilt it and it wasn't until recently found someone in California who does. But I haven't sent it, I appreciate your advice and would appreciate your input on what that guy said on the stator. The boat just turns and just won't fire up.

I think I understand the problem Your boat actually has two stators. One is "under the boat", part of the drive system. The other stator is correctly under the flywheel.
This is true if you have the older Gen 1 engine. Dr. Honda can tell by s/n if you have Gen 1 or Gen 2. Gen 2 engines have a car type alternator. No stator under the flysheel.

My brother and I took off the flywheel and did not see a stator . We also looked under but didn
t remove everything to find the other stator. That one guy I had look at the boat said I didn't have a stator on this boat. That the ecm was controlling everything and telling evreything to turn over. Thats why I was looking to get it checked out. I think you had recommended Motorsports in California to someone else in another thread. I was looking into that to see if my ecm is even working.

My brother and I took off the flywheel and did not see a stator . We also looked under but didn
t remove everything to find the other stator. That one guy I had look at the boat said I didn't have a stator on this boat. That the ecm was controlling everything and telling evreything to turn over. Thats why I was looking to get it checked out. I think you had recommended Motorsports in California to someone else in another thread. I was looking into that to see if my ecm is even working.

Let's back up a minute.
Your flywheel cover- is it round or square?
If round, you have a Gen 1 engine that has a stator (and trigger coils) under the flywheel.

If the cover is square, you have a Gen 2 engine that has a car-type alternator driven by a belt. But it still has a trigger under the flywheel.

On the jet drive unit, the steering nozzle bolts on to a casting called a STATOR. The STATionary part of a ROtating system. Like a pump or generator.

The ECU (or ECM) does NOT control CRANKING. As Dr. Honda said, simple key switch and solenoid energize the starter. Your ECU is probably not failed. They seldom fail. The electronics is pretty robust. I think you have other problems. And less expensive.

Last edited:
You have a gen. 1 engine then, there should be a stator under the flywheel... buy a manual on this forum or paperback manual easier for you to check and go or print the manual here on this forum very helpful just make sure it is gen 1 engine manual.

No belt means no car-type alternator. That also means that you have a Gen 1 engine.

Someone stole your stator. Or you need to look in the service book to see what a stator looks like. It is the alternator for this type system. Simple system, one moving part- the flywheel.

these are the pics when my brother removed the flywheel.

Attachments

• Seadoo_1.jpg
    Seadoo_1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Seadoo_2.jpg
    Seadoo_2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 23
The alternator is the thing with the pulley on the left side of the pic. The other pulley at the bottom of the pic is the belt tensioner. No belt means no charging.

these are the pics when my brother removed the flywheel.

Back to the beginning---
You have a Gen 2 engine.
Someone stole your belt. Or, more likely, it was shredded due to rusty pulleys and/or misalignment of pulleys.
Belt is avail. from auto parts about $25 or Merc $70.

we have the belt. my brother took it off while taking off the flywheel. Belt in good shape but will replace it since its out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back