Mercury Challenger 240EFi (No Crank)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

elvwilliams

Hi Everybody, I really hope someone can help??

I've recently bought a Seadoo Challenger 240EFi, which I replaced the impeller from the previous owner. Now the boat has been laid up sometime and isn't starting, I have done the following checks. Battery power, fuses, ignition feed and visible wiring, but the engine doesn't crank when I turn the key. The only way I can get the engine to start is by crossing over the wiring solenoid below the engine fuses, If I cross these over the engine starts and runs fine. I only run it less than 5/6 seconds and the kill switch and ignition both kill the engine.
Any ideas what could be causing the non cranking?

I thank you in advance for the help on this.

Steven (Elv)

I assume the starting solenoid will not operate as intended when the start button is pressed and I assume the gauges will power on when this button is pressed just the start solenoid doesn't actuate?

In this case I suggest testing to make sure the forward/reverse lever is in neutral position. There is a switch underneath on this lever for neutral-only engine start so check this switch and it's wiring.

I've rocked the forward/reverse lever back and forth a few times, with the cut out lanyard in place, first stage ignition there is a buzz from the fuel pump and a high pitch buzz which lasts 1 or 2 secs. It doesn't double beep like my seadoo jetski's before starting. When I turn the ignition to the start stage there is nothing. The only way I can start the engine is by crossing the solenoid at the engine, when I do this, it starts and runs.
I've checked the power feed out the ignition barrel and its showing power when key turned at the starting stage.

Your beeper may be defective, so disregard that for the moment..

See if you are getting voltage at the solenoid when you try to start it the correct way. If so, then the solenoid is bad.. If not, then you are going to need to go backwards and test switches for continuity and connections at the MPEM.

I'll check the voltage at the solenoid tomorrow and see if I can trace where the breakdown is. I didn't want to be ordering starters and other things when it was something silly.

You think the battery not holding enough voltage? I've had it on charge for a few hours before trying to start the engine, I have other batteries which I can use.

You think the battery not holding enough voltage? I've had it on charge for a few hours before trying to start the engine, I have other batteries which I can use.

No,, I meant to post my last post in another thread,, that is why I deleted it. You simply read my post before I could delete it, sorry about that..

I think your battery is fine based on jumping the solenoid and it cranking well..

Oh sorry, I didn't realize this is a sportjet till now, duh.

Pin 7 of the engine connector (round connector) is a yellow with red stripe. This wire must go hot when you attempt to start the engine, the starter solenoid will pull in when this goes hot.

So for whatever reason the starter solenoid isn't getting this current from the helm OR the solenoid coil is open OR the ground of the solenoid is corroded

So I would check and see voltage of yellow wire with red stripe on starter solenoid during attempting engine start? If no voltage then look for a problem at the helm or even inside the round engine connector. Most likely helm issue, measure voltage of the same color wire on keyswitch (assuming you have a keyswitch, I'm not sure what's there)

While under the helm measuring the Yel/R also make sure the Red from the battery is hot, sounds like it is though.

Or alternatively to test the starter solenoid you may jumper from the solenoid battery terminal to the small energize terminal that has the Yel/R wire attached, the solenoid should engage and the engine should crank. When you turn the key switch to start position, this Yel/R wire must go hot.

Managed to confirm that the solenoid was faulty, I've ordered the part through a genuine uk supplier and I'll fit that.
Thanks everybody who helped in the matter, I appreciate the time it takes to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back