Makeshift beeper repair using an old smoke detector

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bflauto

So while going through a bunch of repairs for my new (to me) 96 GTX, I am on to the beeper. Like many others the beeper was no longer working.

I tore down the handlebar cover and got to the beeper module. I cut the wires and removed the module, as I planned to use the radioshack beeper that others have posted.

Out of curiousity, i cut open the beeper module with a band saw, just above the area where the housing flanges inwards. I wanted to see if a spare piezo speaker that I had laying around would repair the beeper.

Inside i was surprised to find a driver board and a 3-wire piezo speaker. I never seen a 3-wire before and the spare one i had was ony 2-wire. In doing a quick search on google about a 3-wire I learned a bit about how the 3rd wire works but also was offered a clue that smoke detectors often have 3-wire piezos. My mind quickly reminded me that i had an old smoke detector in a parts drawer.

A quick teardown of the smoke detector and i found a piezo in a housing that closly matched the portion of the module that i removed with the bandsaw.

The wires in my piezo were red, black and white. The wires on the beeper driver module circuit board were red, black and blue. I matched reds and blacks, and finally the white to the remaining blue wire. They got a quick dab of solder and I taped up the wires. Then I epoxy'd the module housing to the piezo housing (from the smoke detector). Lastly I zip-tied it as best as i could under the handlebars, soldered it up and plugged in my key.
CHIRP CHIRP!
SUCCESS!

Attachments

• 20211016_161018.jpg
    20211016_161018.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211016_161013.jpg
    20211016_161013.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a little DIY ingenuity.

The OEM one is about $20 if you wanted to go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back