maintenance required warning and won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

roneypaul2

I have 2018 Spark 2up and 3up. Starting my second year on the water. I started getting "maintenance required" warning and then both would not start. One did have a battery issue after winter, but charged and got it running. Then the second one would not start, battery is fine.

Does the "maintenance required" warning prevent it from starting? I know a dealer can plug in to see what the warning is for, but I can't start them to get them out of the water.

I have 2018 Spark 2up and 3up. Starting my second year on the water. I started getting "maintenance required" warning and then both would not start. One did have a battery issue after winter, but charged and got it running. Then the second one would not start, battery is fine.

Does the "maintenance required" warning prevent it from starting? I know a dealer can plug in to see what the warning is for, but I can't start them to get them out of the water.
I do not believe the "MR" message would/should prevent the skis from starting. The MR message is simply telling you to "service" the ski in some manner (could be needing an OIL change, iBR could be malfunctioning (if so equipped).....) BUT the skis SHOULD be able to be started....drag them out if you have to, but you need to tow them slowly or plug the water line leading into the engine.
On 2 strokes, you are supposed to clamp the water line closed BEFORE towing to prevent water from being forced into the engine.....that doesn't work for a SPARK since you have no access to the lines without taking the top deck off (which is the one thing I really don't like about the Spark design...but I digress).....I THINK (but need confirmation on this), that you can thread a closer plug (3/4" garden hose plug) into the hose inlet behind the ski to block water from getting into the engine while being towed.....there WAS a discussion about this in another thread a while ago but the conversation died out with no resolution....so caveat emptor.

thanks for the reply. Quick update, both the batteries were bad. The machines were only used a season and half and the 3up wasn't having battery issues. I replaced both batteries and started right up. I bought Duracell batteries at Batteries Plus, two year free replacement if they go bad.

Side note, removing oil filter cap is total pain. I had to cutoff three zip ties to move the wire harness to get access to back cover bolt, terrible design. But changes complete candoopro on the way so i can clear maintenance notice.

Back