Lower Rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgardner928

So...if I remove the spark plugs on my 787 and try turning it over...oil flys out everywhere!

It does turn over fine. But I was told that the oil coming out is a sign the lower needs to be rebuild due to seals that failed. I've done my share of 717 work. But never a lower.

Is it a easy thing to do?

Do I just buy all new seals and replace them on on the lower and call it a day? While I'm at it I'll put all new seals on the top end, and Rotary cover too.

But my question really is...it that all it is? Needs to be taken apart and put new seals?

No you have to replace the crankshaft as it’s the inner seals that cause the leaking oil and the only fix is a reman crankshaft.

Yes, sadly to fix a simple seal you need to replace/rebuild the crank. The failed seals are between the cylinders at the center of the crank. I'm not sure about everywhere else, but my local sled shop does crank rebuilds and most of the cost is the labor. Knowing this it is safe to say just swap the crank for a complete rebuild with new bearings and seals, just getting the seals replaced isn't an option on this one.

Sorry to hear you are fighting your 787. If it helps any know that you are not alone, lots of 787 owners are fighting the failed inner seal at some point. Failed seals are the reason a friend gave me their 97 GTX, they didn't want to mess with it and I know how to fix it.

Good luck.

So the crank shaft needs to be replaced.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210307-233714_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210307-233714_Chrome.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
SBT is fine, so is WSM from our site sponsor PWC Muscle.
The best and most expensive will be Competitive Crankshafts.

What I need help with. Is understanding if I need to buy a whole new cam or need a new housing....or both. Dont know how to tell by looking at a bottom end that "its bad".

Post some pictures. Unless there’s damage the cases get reused.

The crankshaft has to be sent either as a core return or to be rebuilt. The installation can be done by the average person. Not the crankshaft rebuild.

Post some pictures. Unless there’s damage the cases get reused.

The crankshaft has to be sent either as a core return or to be rebuilt. The installation can be done by the average person. Not the crankshaft rebuild.
That helps a lot. Id prefer to stay away from sbt as they do not have a good rap from what I hear.

Anyplace I can mail cam too to get rebuild? Anyplace you recommend to buy a rebuild one from?

If you do have a 787 then you need to get the crank and the counter-balancer rebuilt.
If you want to keep your crankshaft then the best is Competitive Crankshafts.
Other than that your only options are SBT and WSM.

If you do have a 787 then you need to get the crank and the counter-balancer rebuilt.
If you want to keep your crankshaft then the best is Competitive Crankshafts.
Other than that your only options are SBT and WSM.
I dont need to keep anything. I'm happy buying a rebuild one. Does competitive crankshafts do sell them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back