Low RPM Operations and Starting Problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

notshort

I have a 2000 Seadoo Islandia powered by a Mercury 240 EFI M2 jet drive. Used the boat on Jul 4th and it ran great. Most of the day though, engine was operated at low RPM (lots of no wake zones). Tried to use the boat two days later and it wouldn't start. Starter kicked in but engine wouldn't start. Swapped out a freshly charged 12V starting battery...same result = starter kicked in, engine wouldn't start. Fuses checked out ok. Safety lanyard attached. Reverse gate in neutral position. I could hear electric fuel pump clicking but engine still would not start. Installed 6 x new spark plugs and the engine started lickety split:) Old plugs were two years old...blackened with oily residue. I had tried to clean up the old plugs with a wire brush and sand paper at one point but that did no good.

I know the tech manual cautions against running at low RPM for an extended period of time because it can cause low voltage but can someone please answer these questions:
1. Why just replacing spark plugs is enough to get the engine to start;
2. If I can't avoid operating at low RPM, is there anything I can do to mitigate that condition;
3. Should I go back to replacing spark plugs every season.
4. What problem(s) is/are caused by low voltage.

Thanks in advance.

I think you found the problem with extended low rpm. Oil/carbon fouling. Develops a short circuit on the plug insulator. Low rpm may not charge the battery sufficiently. The computer likes a minimum voltage that may not be there.

I am guessing you have the under-flywheel alternator. They don't put out as much as the newer car style that came out later.

Can you run any higher rpm? Any little bit will help.

I think you found the problem with extended low rpm. Oil/carbon fouling. Develops a short circuit on the plug insulator. Low rpm may not charge the battery sufficiently. The computer likes a minimum voltage that may not be there.

I am guessing you have the under-flywheel alternator. They don't put out as much as the newer car style that came out later.

Can you run any higher rpm? Any little bit will help.
Tim,
Thanks very much for the reply...I'll try to crank out a few more RPMs where I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back