looking to buy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1400

Hello, I'm looking at a couple boats and I was just wondering what you think of these. I haven't seen a sea-doo boat on the water before so I'm not sure which one to buy. It's between a 1999 speedster w/ the twin 110hp motors, and a 2008 sportster 155hp. The Speedster they are asking $9000, and the sportster they are asking $13999. Any thoughts???

Thanks
Greg

I'm not real computer savvy so I'm not posting the link, but there is a 2008 155HP Speedster on Ebay for 12,999 from a dealership in Maryland.

If you want a fun project that won't necessarily be in the water all the time, get the 99 speedster. Very very fast boat, but two 2-stroke engines is about 4 times the headache of 1 4-stroke engine.

On top of that, the rest of the boat is 9 years newer! Get the Sportster, or see about arnolds8903's 12,999 speedster :D

Hello, I'm looking at a couple boats and I was just wondering what you think of these. I haven't seen a sea-doo boat on the water before so I'm not sure which one to buy. It's between a 1999 speedster w/ the twin 110hp motors, and a 2008 sportster 155hp. The Speedster they are asking $9000, and the sportster they are asking $13999. Any thoughts???

Thanks
Greg

Ther is no 2008 sporster they changed the name to speedster 150.... and i would go with the 2009 $4000 more but 9 years newer. id go with the 2008 4 stroke. I dont know why people think 4 strokes are harder to work on then 2 strokes. I work on cars and they have hundreds of sensors and the seadoos 4 strokes have what 14 sensors, go with the 155hp 4 tec youll be happy. i have the same boat and i run mine at 7000rpm WOT all the time. I alway do boat ride from my cottage to the sand bar and its a 40 min ride. I never let off it always WOT the whole way and it alway runs good..... theyve been making the 4 tec motor for awhile now and most threads on these seadoo sites seem to be problems with 2 strokes ( just my opinion on what i see others might have a diffrent opinion then me)

Unless you are looking for a project or you like working on boats on the weekend there is no way I would buy the almost 10 year old boat over a brand spanking new one. Consider 1 motor vs 2 for maintenance, consider the coolness of brand new never used, consider WARRANTY, consider all the unknown potential damage/wear/etc of an older boat. Not to say a 99 wouldn't be a great boat, its just not in the same league as a brand spankin shiny new one.

My opinion is free.

I would not BOX meself in with those 2 options. I'd go ride a few, and learn a bit about characteristics of the 2 stroke vs 4. Even other brands.

And, I would visit all the new shops, and write down the price, and power, and options. Once you are willing to bust over 10k on a pleasure craft, you really doo have alot of options. Check them out, and make an informed decision.

There are some merits in avoiding the top of the line ones with the mechanical blowers. They boost the power, at the expense of maintenance. I don't know if any of what you are looking at has blowers, But blowers are a maintenance item.

I'd try to get one that did not require anything from me but gas, and an occasional shot of oil!

Nate

Like the poster above said you have a lot of options in this economy with $10,000 or above and buying a boat. Especially used.

I think the 1999 boat is overpriced as well, but it depends on equipment and condition. If it looked brand new and included a wakeboard tower, wakeboards, tow ropes, tubes to pull people with, upgraded stereo, etc. You might find $9000 in value out of the boat.

Thats a heck of a deal on a 2008 boat though. But yeah like the guy above said..go out and do some research.

thanks for the reply's. i think i might just wait until next year and hopefully get to see a couple of the seadoo boats out and about.

I know this is a seadoo forum and all...and I am a loyal seadoo fan however, seadoo boats are not the only boats out there and you should look at all your options. They are amazing boats and tons of fun...but depending on your budget and intended uses, they may just not be the boat for you.

I have a bayliner 205 with a 5.0L MPI MerCruiser 260hp...it gets better gas millage than my rxp!!!! The top speed isn't quite as fast as a seadoo boat....but out of the hole its pretty close! They are also easier to find someone to work on them as they basically have a car engine. Just wanted to let you know about another option that you may not have considered.

Good luck with the boat shopping!!

Matt

ok well the guy that I was going to buy the 99 speedster off of just called me back and said I can have it for $7500 canadian. Is this a good deal?? If so is there anything I should check on the boat before I purchase it? How is it on gas? How reliable are those twin 110hp motors? any other information on it will be really appreciated.

Thanks

$7500 canadian is getting closer to a more acceptable price. I would nudge him on saying that the 08's are just a few grand more, and since you are already going almost all in on a boat...why not go all the way in and get a brand new one? Make him convince you with a low price that you need this 99 twin 110hp.

ok well the guy that I was going to buy the 99 speedster off of just called me back and said I can have it for $7500 canadian. Is this a good deal?? If so is there anything I should check on the boat before I purchase it? How is it on gas? How reliable are those twin 110hp motors? any other information on it will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Your form ontario, so am I... found a 99 speedster for 6,000 http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details...ubcategory=-1&CAT=6&ADID=7220273&ADS=7220273|

also found a brand new 2008 speedster 150, 155hp for $13,999
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=71757&adid=7182549

also look at this boat 2003 with 155hp for $9,999 http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=92887&adid=7182627

All new 4-tec 4 stroke motor can be hooked up the a system call b.u.d.s witch can tell you also most any thing you need to know, like how hard it been driven(for example i bought mine it had only hit 7000rpm's for .6% of the time of the 70hr's on the boat. it shows a bar graph with diffrent rpm ranges and a percentage of the total hr's for each one) and total hr's on the boat

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the new one i was looking at is sold already and all they only have the 215hp one left now and they are asking $17,500 and they will not budge on the price. He also said that they aren't getting any of the 155hp ones again until next year. and for the 99' i think that pretty much as low as he will go might be able to squeeze a few hundred more.

Yeah, the new one i was looking at is sold already and all they only have the 215hp one left now and they are asking $17,500 and they will not budge on the price. He also said that they aren't getting any of the 155hp ones again until next year. and for the 99' i think that pretty much as low as he will go might be able to squeeze a few hundred more.

There are deals around Ontario, i know ive been looking around cause i want to up grade. check out www.trader.ca or look at the links i posted above $17,500 for a 215 is to high. should be able to find one with 215 for around 15,000

Wow! Your boats are cheap in On.:ack: When I was looking for a new 150 in the spring(in Alberta)they wouldn't budge off $20K!! I'm too:redface:to tell you what I paid for my 05

I think the dollars are worth less in Alberta than in the rest of Canada - so it takes more of them to do the same work. :ack:

:rofl::):rofl:
:reddevil:

Wow! Your boats are cheap in On.:ack: When I was looking for a new 150 in the spring(in Alberta)they wouldn't budge off $20K!! I'm too:redface:to tell you what I paid for my 05
Ontario I would think has the biggest boating community of all the provinces. I think theres close to 30 brp seadoo dealers in ontario so lots of competition http://www.brp.com/en-CA/Dealer.Locator/Sea-Doo/ i can drive about an hr in any direction from where i live and be at a large lake and beach....

Also, don't forget the prices sportsterjoel quoted do not include freight and pdi. These can add a quite a bit to the prices mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back