Looking to buy older Challenger for first jet boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

finn5033

Hello all, this is my first post besides my introduction in the newbie section. The wife and I are looking to buy our first Jet boat. Its just for us, no kids yet. We have a pontoon on the lake and are looking for something fun to take out with us that we can cruise around on and tube behind. Plus our friends live on other lakes in the area and we don't like moving the pontoon around so the little jet boat would be something easy we could take to the other lakes and to the cabin. So here comes my question. I have found 2 very similar seadoo challengers for sale in my area. One is a 96 the other a 97. I don't know if there were different models of them back then but they both have the 110hp engine. The 96 had a bunch of work done to it last year. $1,800 for a new interior, and $2,600 for an engine overhaul at a seadoo dealer. The other is original but in fantastic shape, it looks new. They are both asking $4,500. Both come with trailer and cover as well. So to those of you with knowledge of these boats I would appreciate anything you can share with me about them. And assuming they are in good shape and run as they should what do you think is a good price to pay for one? Would this type of boat be good for our first experience with a jet boat? Thank you

Here are links to both boats, I know it doesn't show much but its better than nothing
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/boa/4476434984.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/4557530734.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If they look as good as the photos and a compression test shows a good 145 or higher they are both priced good in my opinion. Personally I wouldn't buy a twin engine boat because its just two things to go wrong and diagnose vs. one. I just finished my 96 challenger and have been taking it out every weekend since. With my fiancé and I in it(about 285 pounds together) it does 52 on a gps. Thats a new sbt motor aftermarket stark impeller and new wear ring. Last weekend i had 5 people in the boat about (800 lbs) and we got up to 42 on the gps. The challenger is a great boat handles very very well in chop. You can't go wrong I like it a lot

I think I can get the 96 for $4k. That is the one that has the new interior and engine overhaul at the dealer. Do you think I'd be better off getting that one. She says she has all the paperwork for the engine work. Also would this thing be fun to take on the river? I am in MN so we have the st. croix river and of course the mighty Mississippi

If that one was rebuilt and she has the paperwork for it I say go for that one. I would only be concerned about how the motor was broken in but if it has good compression then it was probably done right. I took mine on the 3 rivers on sunday and did just fine. This boat is very good in choppy water. I was surprised by how the boat handled the first time I took it out. I plan to take the river down town chicago through the buildings next.

See if the current owner will let you remove the spark plugs and see how they look. You can tell if its running right by the plugs. Other than that get it and get out on the water its July already!

That 97 looks like the one I found a couple weeks ago and bought, not so much as a faded decal or even slight bit of color loss in any of the green plastics. That boat has spent it's life inside out of the sun not being used much. I like to buy *those* boats if the mechanics check out or can be fixed reasonably as needed. I have just over 5k in mine now after minor repairs and it's in showroom condition same as you would expect to see a boat having been lightly used less than two seasons.

I'm tickled with my '97, I don't think it's seen even close to the first 100 hours of time on the original engine yet and after some fuel system maintenance it runs accordingly. I'd take a good hard look at both of those boats, obviously that 96 had some real time put on it over the years to warrant needing the interior replaced and a repower. You might find that 97 to be a much nicer boat overall and one thing to keep in mind is that the 110 hp Rotax 787 motor is the most affordable marine engine in it's class to replace whenever that's needed. I'd buy the better boat of the two, if that 97 runs as good as it looks on a water test and the compression checks out it looks like a much nicer boat versus that 96.

Thanks for reply. The lady for that one has been really nice. They put all that money in it last year because they were planning on keeping it for a long time but then her sister decided to sell their boat and it is bigger and was a great deal. That is the only reason she is selling it. Anyways thanks again.

I like that the 97 has the ski and tube post in front of the rear hatch just behind the middle seat.

I like that the 97 has the ski and tube post in front of the rear hatch just behind the middle seat.

That is nice, we pulled one of those "big bubba tubes" the kids have at the lake last weekend that sits three people on it. Took a little longer to get the boat to plane with that much weight behind it but it ran out fine and pulled three teenage boys at 6K rpm.

I do not know if there's any difference in the hull's or swim platform's between a 96 and 97 Challenger but the 97's platform is a piece of cake to get back up on with the grab handle from the water. One of our guests easily goes 300 pounds and he makes it up on that platform effortlessly from the water and I was a little worried about that the first time around.

Yes I agree about the 97, I really want to take a look at it. I haven't hear back on that one. Hoping I hear from him and can go look tonight.

Yes I agree about the 97, I really want to take a look at it. I haven't hear back on that one. Hoping I hear from him and can go look tonight.

Good luck, I hope it's as nice in person as the pictures show. I looked all of last year and the start of this season to find the right boat and I knew it when I saw it. These little Sea Doo boats raise the bar for fun, we absolutely love ours and it's a piece of cake to handle the boat on the trailer off the tow vehicle getting it in and around the garage and you hardly know it's behind you going down the road.

Lot's of fun for a little bit of money regarding what the dollars typically buy you in the used boat market, I don't think you can beat a single engine Challenger for the economy versus fun factor.

looked at the 97 tonight, took it for a ride and agreed on a price of $4,100.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    620.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    558.1 KB · Views: 36
Your's looks every bit as nice as mine does congratulations that's outstanding! How did the test ride go? :cheers:

Your's looks every bit as nice as mine does congratulations that's outstanding! How did the test ride go? :cheers:

Thanks, it went great had her up to 50 in ski mode. Didn't test top speed in speed mode. Everything works great. The gas gauge doesn't work but he said it should just be the sender. I am going to order the fuel sender and new full mat set right away.

Ski mode and speed mode?

Congrats on the boat! You will love it. 4100 is a steal if you ask me. A good reliable seadoo boat is 5000 in my opinion.

I have a contact that can get you a deal on the turf I have in my boat if you want it. Just pm me for it.

The fuel baffle float was on my list of rehab items to get the gas gauge working, $15.00 part fixed me right up. The original float I removed still had the magnets in place, but no longer floated. It's a piece of cake to change it, just have to take the ski tow bracket bolts out and move it up out of the way to get it up and out of the tank.

You did well, hope you guys enjoy the rest of the summer with it.

Ski mode and speed mode?
You don't have the VTS on your Challenger? It's the small third lever, marked Ski and Speed at opposing settings. Trims the nozzle for performance needs. It works to, you can use it to get a load of tubers up and dump it forward and drop the rpm's big time when it's up and running flat.
VTS2.jpgVTS1.jpg

Those jet boats are a lot of fun. The fuel gauge is most likely the float (as mentioned). That's very common on a lot of seadoo boats and skis of that era. You can Google it to find pictured instructions.

I'd recommend DAP contact cement for that black turf in the back that is peeling up.

Oh yeah the vts sure I have that. Mine didn't have a label like that. You'll learn to adjust it according to the water conditions.

don't mean to steel thread but I am reasearching on buying a 1997 seadoo challenger I can get it for 3250.00 it has been in storage for a couple of yrs the owners lost interest goin to look at it today do a test ride and comp chk goin to try to et700.00 knocked off think marina is kinda up charging sayin he winterized it ans summerized it? evey yr anyone heard of summerizing? and if it was in storage and shrink wrapped why would you need to do that? well ill let you all no how it goes this will be my first jet boat wife tired of watching me jetski lol ty

The best advice I could give you owning the same boat is to make a list of what's known to be wrong or discovered as part of the initial inspection and start a new thread before you buy it and ask more questions. There are so many things unique to these boats that can add up to serious $$$ in a real hurry it would be wise to not make an impulse buy on one.

I would check compression after the water test run, you're not going to get a real number from an engine that's been sitting for years. I'd be amazed if it even runs satisfactorily if it's been in storage that long. There is such a thing as summarizing these boats as dealers are known to leave hose pinchers in place to retain antifreeze in the engine passages while being stored. Not really much involved there.

Check the rubber seal on the muffler where it exits the boat under the swim platform, it's rolled back over a clamp that seals water out from getting in the boat and those seals are not available anymore. Unroll it to expose the clamp and seal the boat will take on enough water to sink if the seal is bad enough.

Read the owner's manual free of charge from Sea Doo, it's available in their website and describes the MPEM functions. You really don't want to buy a boat with a bad computer, they are now obsolete as well. Shift the boat into forward and try to start it the beeper should bark a warning chime at you and the engine shouldn't crank. If it does the MPEM module's been a problem and has been bypassed. Check all the cables make sure they move freely and don't bind.

Just make a list, and ask questions. There are very few turn key jetboats for sale anywhere, and your likely buying someone else's problems. You just need to know what those are and the cost of repairs going into it.

Some of the common issues like fuel gauges that don't work are a cheap fix, the rest of them like pump assemblies and motors that need overhauled will quickly get in your pocket.

Ask what's been used for oil in the boat, they are to be run on XPS-II full synthetic only. If you see a tankful of blue TC-W3 oil run the other way and don't look back.

What IS a good price to ask when selling a boat? I will take my 97 challenger to Laughlin this week-then she goes up for sale. I was thinking 3 grand. I want to price it accordingly to cover unforeseen problems that might come up. When I buy a used motor vehicle I accept the fact that it does not have a warranty and I am prepared to fix anything that fails. That being said some people expect the stars and moon and are real quick to accuse you of cheating them(I have always been completely honest about selling things-so much that I worry after the sale that something will go wrong). Truth be told I really do not like selling things used anymore.

WOW. Thanks for the info. I will ask 3500 for it. You know- I live 3 mile from the Pacific ocean but I have never taken the boat in salt water-too corrosive to the drivetrain.

What IS a good price to ask when selling a boat? I will take my 97 challenger to Laughlin this week-then she goes up for sale. I was thinking 3 grand. I want to price it accordingly to cover unforeseen problems that might come up. When I buy a used motor vehicle I accept the fact that it does not have a warranty and I am prepared to fix anything that fails. That being said some people expect the stars and moon and are real quick to accuse you of cheating them(I have always been completely honest about selling things-so much that I worry after the sale that something will go wrong). Truth be told I really do not like selling things used anymore.
I totally agree. It is a boat and anything can go wrong especially with a newb boat owner. know how to operate and knowing how to maintain is key with any boat owner... most expect the stars and the moon! lol..

people are shocked what I want for ours, and that is still less than 1/2 of what I have in it... besides my time...

good luck with the sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back