Looking to buy GTX 260 iS Limited...lots of questions (including sinking?)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Hello,

First post here but I'm an active member of many automotive forums (being a car enthusiast).

I'm looking to buy a PWC in the not-so-distant future (could be as early as 3 months, or as much as a year from now or more), but I figured I would do my research now. I've done a lot of reading and a lot of searching but haven't got conclusive answers on some subjects.

First off, and I think this is the most important, is the sinking problem of the models with suspension. From what I've read, this is due to a certain wall being about 1.5" too short. I read a single post saying this design flaw has been corrected for newer models and is no longer a problem - can anyone confirm this? If so, which model years have this flaw corrected? 2013? 2014?

Second, can anyone recommend the best trailer for a GTX 260 limited? It's pretty darn heavy based on the spec. Are the Sea-Doo Brand "Move" trailers any good?

Lastly, a bit of background about myself and some more general questions....

I'm in my mid 20's and this will be my first PWC. However, when I was growing up, my family had a 96 XP that we bought new. We had it for about 12 years - the first 6 years we used it ALL the time. We would go to Laughlin about 10 weekends a year with another family. The last 6 years it probably only got taken out 10 times total. Anyway, I helped my dad with launching/maintenance, so I'm somewhat familiar with watercraft.

A friend of mine has a river house in Bullhead and I have gone to the river with him a few times, sparking my desire to own a PWC. After some considering and remembering some of the downsides of the XP (such as getting absolutely tossed around when the water wasn't anything except glass), I decided I wanted a larger ski for comfort/ride quality. Also, my girlfriend will be riding as a passenger frequently. I also wanted something that was pretty fast. I eventually concluded that I wanted the GTX 260 iS Limited, thinking the suspension's nicer ride would make the ride easier. Anyone perhaps recommend anything different? Any reasons why?

Any general input is welcome.

Also, I will be towing with either my truck, a Tacoma V6 4x4 with Tow Package (6500lbs tow rating), or my parents' truck, a 2009 Ram Hemi 2wd since it gets better mileage. Though, I have also considered putting a hitch on my 2004 G35 Coupe (6-Speed Manual) since it gets much better mileage than either of the trucks. It has a bunch of performance modifications that will aid in towing (Brembo calipers, stainless steel brake lines, slotted rotors and aggressive performance pads, and a pretty large thermostatically controlled engine oil cooler). I'm sure it would tow any single PWC just fine, though I'm a little worried about traction on launch ramps.

Thanks!

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the IS but it probably is more trouble than it is worth to most people. The sinking problem was fixed in 2013 but some will disagree. I suggest getting a used GTX ltd, or RXT without the IS but with the IBR around 2011. The IBR is far better bang for your buck instead of the IS. The newer hulls ride great even in rough water which won't even compare to a 96 XP.

1). Sinking concern. Yes, there was a time period where this was a genuine issue. And yes, the newer hulls have been modified to correct the issue. That said, I do not recall the years. I'm sure someone will help with the info...
2). Any trailer will normally work but some are better than others. Steel trailers rust even in fresh water applications but are more affordable. Galvanized and aluminum trailers work well in any water environment. I STRONGLY recommend that you get it with LED lights or swap the lights out if it comes with traditional bulbs. No need to unplug them and short of a freak thing they will last MANY MANY years... Taller tires normally are better for hi way speeds as the larger diameter means less RPM's. Shorter fatter tires can take more of a load but will spin many more times in a mile to mile comparison. A trailer that has a flat square back on the rear of the trailer means that the ski will ride higher and require you to back down a ramp further to get it to float. As compared to a trailer that has a "V" back that allows the ski to sit lower. The "Move" trailer is pretty neat but,,,, it has come with many concerns. I have read where a good many have dropped their ski as the front catch wasn't REALLY latched. They are expensive as well. I love the concept and I was going to buy a two place one and did a ton of research, Decided against it based on lots of reading.
3). The iS skis are more top heavy than the same ski not of the iS design. I have read where many say they are not as nimble and they feel like they were going to topple over. I have NOT ridden one, I am only stating what I have read. Again, love the concept, but glad I didn't buy one.
4). The iS is pretty amazing in regards to the ride. I have seen GoPro video showing it in use and it looks to be effective.

I own both a GTX and a RXT-X. LOVE them both. The GTX is SUPER comfortable and rides like a Caddy. The RXT-X is basically a race car. Ride mor harsh but runs super fast and very stable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the comment about the IBR... I will NEVER not own a ski without it with one exception. My RXT is pretty stripped down as it is intended to be ridden hard and fast. Nothing to much extra other than the VTS. You will not go wrong buying either of the models I have, they are nothing short of fantastic.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I definitely want iBR. That's without question. Assuming the iS has been fixed I really want a model with suspension. I imagine it will make extended days on the water much less tiring and much more enjoyable comfortable (especially for my girlfriend and other potential passengers).

Good point regarding the trailer with the V shape in them. I will keep that in mind when looking. I am aiming for an aluminum trailer due to corrosion resistance. And yes I would prefer LEDs.

I stopped by a local retailer today and they had a GTX Limited in stock. I didn't realize it was so big. Feels at least twice the size of the old XP. I also saw the new Spark. Seems like a modern take on the XP. Super lightweight with solid power (assuming you get the high output motor in the 2 person size).

Looks like I'll have to save up the extra few grand for a 2013 models. Bummer, as I saw a couple 2010/2011 with low hours at a decent price.

There's a few things you need to understand about the suspension models. First is not to get one for many reasons such as being very top heavy. You may think that it makes the ride more comfortable? In light chop it does but in anything more you're constantly fighting it because it feel like it will high side you at any second. You will hurt in places you didn't know you had. And of course if you get such a machine you will never ride it hard because it handles like the titanic bouncing on the Michelin man. That said iBR is a great feature.

As far as towing goes, use your truck or your family's truck. Scrap the idea of the G35 hitch. I've been there and done that as far as towing with a vehicle that's never meant to tow. It will ride like crap and fuel mileage will go down like you wouldn't believe. I had a 2011 Fusion V6 briefly I towed for one summer. Normally got 28-30mpg on the highway. Strap on my RXT and I was seeing 17 on the highway and dragging the rear bumper on the ground. Not worth it if you have a truck. If you're worried about fuel a PWC is not really a good choice anyway as they drink quite a bit of it.

That said, you can't go wrong with a 2011 and up non iS GTX or RXT in my opinion. Even the X models if you want the extra fun factor.

Really like my Triton aluminum trailer LT model as it rides nice and low.
I'd forgo the suspension as well. These machines ride very smooth if you ride with the machine.
Never felt any discomfort on our 2012 GTI and I'm 57.

As others have mentioned, the GTX is a super comfortable ride. It truly rides like a Cadillac. The hull design is such that there is some "give" and smoothly displaces the water under the hull. Compared to my RXT-X, night and day. I'm not talking you into or out of the iS, that is your call. For me, I wouldn't buy it as on the GTX I do not feel it is a viable asset. The seat is so flipping good on the GTX that if I could, I would pay 500 dollars to get one on my RXT,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back