Looking for impeller advice - damage

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gday

I'm doing some maintenance (150 hours) on my 2012 150 HO. Supercharger is out for rebuild and I'm going to replace the carbon ring. In pulling the pump I can now see the state of my impeller (pics attached). Is this damage enough to warrant repair? Anyone have input on the various impeller repair companies? Or should I just replace the impeller or leave as is? The wear ring seems unharmed mostly - a few little nicks but nothing of much consequence. Seems that most of this damage occurred a few years ago when it finally rained (after a local drought) and a bunch of dead wood ended up floating around the local lake which occasionally ended up being sucked through the pump. I'm happy with the performance of the boat so sticking with stock specs is fine with me. Thanks for any pointers / advice - cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
It can most definitely be rebuilt at probably half the cost of replacing with new.

Seems to me that you are happy with the performance and your wear ring is in very good condition. If I were you I would not do anything to the impeller, it probably would make little difference to the performance. I am curious as to why you need to change the carbon ring, what symptoms are you seeing related to a damaged carbon ring.

Here is the thing, I have a crappy mix of OCD and Gearheaditis. One motto if have learned that calms both is "no half measures"

If I was taking the time and energy to pull the pump, it is going back in needing nothing.

I live in Canada and with our summers being so short, one of the biggest factors in repairs is how long it will take to get me back on the water.

If it were me, I would find the quickest option, rebuild or new. If it was new, I would then get the impeller rebuild as my spare.

Your requirements may differ.

. I am curious as to why you need to change the carbon ring, what symptoms are you seeing related to a damaged carbon ring.
Its just chain of events. All this work on my boat is due to the supercharger needing a rebuild. No question there as it was slipping. Given the ingestion of the wood, I assumed the ring and impeller would be banged up and I'm convinced that hole shot performance is off. I said I would check the impeller, wear ring and carbon ring at the point of rebuilding the SC. I was very surprised to find the wear ring ok. Given that I wont get the SC back for another week, I'm thinking of sending the impeller out for repair since there is a somewhat local place for that. The carbon ring looks worn down to me but I need to double check it. As far as performance, all I meant with that is that I'm not looking for upgrades etc.

Last edited:
Here is the thing, I have a crappy mix of OCD and Gearheaditis. One motto if have learned that calms both is "no half measures"
I'm not sure I'm that different with the OCD and half measures ;-) The gearhead bit has worn off somewhat and adding in a lack of patience is my crappy mix. Right now I'm at the mercy of the SC rebuild and that's setting the schedule.

Carbone ring was a pain in the butt for me. And that was having everything torn apart. You don’t have to remove driveshaft to change impeller. Also, If you don’t have the the tools it’s a bigger challenge, not as simple as they show in YouTube videos on waverunners. Was it leaking?

Carbone ring was a pain in the butt for me. And that was having everything torn apart. You don’t have to remove driveshaft to change impeller. Also, If you don’t have the the tools it’s a bigger challenge, not as simple as they show in YouTube videos on waverunners. Was it leaking?
I do have all the tools and right now the driveshaft is being held by one of them. I don't think its leaking but a quick check last week seems to suggests its worn but I will double check before I do anything with it. The removal of the SC was a bitch for me and so I want to make sure the carbon ring is ok since I don't want to be pulling the SC again before its next rebuild. I can already see the carbon ring is not going to be fun if I do have to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back