Looking for General Maintenance Advice-Sea Doo Challenger Jet Boat 2002 2-stroke 6cyl

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsmit1

I have owned my boat for two years. The boat has run very well and I have winterized it each off-season, but I haven't done any boat maintenance. I have read the manual on what they recommend for maintenance, but I wanted to ask the forum for advice on what I really need to do and how often, and sort of what I really need to look out for. I am very good at working on cars, but I don't have any experience with boats, so for maintenance items please give me an idea of the degree of difficulty, and maybe an approximation of what it should cost to pay someone to do it.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

-Ryan

Welcome.

You have a Merc engine... so I'll move it to the proper forum.

The service manual will have a maintenance schedule... and it's a good check list to follow.

Anyway... the minimum maintenance would be to service the gear box once a year. If you have a seal go bad, and you let it sit over the winter with water in the gears... it will get VERY expensive. Before you park it for the winter... you should drain, and re-fill the gear case, and stator oil. Then... just hose off all the pump parts with storage oil.

I've never paid anyone to service my toys... but you are looking at $30 worth of oil... and a shop will charge +$120 hr. So... for a winterazation... it could be +$300.

I normally change the sparkplugs once a season.

Really... as long as it's running well... there isn't much to do. Just check over it once in a while, and lube anything that looks like it's starting to rust.

It's in 2 locations, but it's the same oil.

The gear case has 2 screws under it. One is low, and one is high. Remove both to drain it, and then use a Merc oil pump to force it back in, until it comes out the vent. Then... put both screws back in.

The stator screws can be seen from the nozzle.

You need about a quart and a half to do it. The Merc High Performance gear lube isn't cheap (about $12/qt)... but it's the best for the job. And... an oil pump is about $10~$15.

Thanks I really appreciate it. I don't understand completely this sentence though, "
The stator screws can be seen from the nozzle". What nozzle? could you explain where and what that is?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Thanks I really appreciate it. I don't understand completely this sentence though, "
The stator screws can be seen from the nozzle". What nozzle? could you explain where and what that is?

Thanks!

-Ryan
Boat service Stator Oil plugs.JPGBoat service Pump Oil plugs.JPG

The nozzle is where the water comes out of the jet, the opposite side is the intake, under the boat where all the water is sucked up and then forced through the impeller and out the nozzle.

Eddie

Yep... what he said.

On the back of the gear box screws, there is a little gasket. Don't loose it, and make sure it's on before putting the screws back in.

Buy 2 quarts of Quicksilver High Perfomance oil. (you wont use all of it)

It has special additives for the Sport jet units. You can use regular gear lube... but if any water gets in... you will destroy the gears. The Quicksilver oil will still protect the parts.

Is there a gasket on all 4 screws? I just did the underneath deal and only saw a gasket on the drain plug, not the vent... I'm just about to do the nozzle one..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back