Looking at a 2up 90, but can I just get the 60 and tune?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ditch64

So, I understand the skis are identical. Is this true? Can I save money by buying the 60hp version, then just have it tuned and bam, 90hp WITHOUT ISSUES?

Reason:
I'm tired of issues with my 2000 rx and 98 XPL, and I'm just looking for reliable fun, so I'm going to sell both and get two of these (one for me and one for the gf). Maybe I'll be able to have a nice up north weekend without greasy hands from working on the damn jetskis half the day.

Thanks guys!

Yes, in fact this is something we are offering very shortly, and you'll be able to put your power over 100hp with our tune.

Yep,, what he said..

The 2-up compared to the 3-up skis are nearly identical. The engines are identical.

I guess my only concern, is the warranty issue. As has been discussed in other threads, you can flash it back to the orig tune, but unless you can run it (say there is a engine starting issue) to get it to show different RPM's in the ECU, it would look weird to the dealer that it was completely empty, and they may question it and deny warranty coverage due to modification.

Myself, I am going the safe way for now, and just getting the 90hp 2up IBR model, and will wait till the warranty is up before messing with it. To me, the peace of mind is worth it, but to others it may not matter as much. I've been lurking around seeing how expensive these things are to repair out of warranty, so I'd like to keep mine 'legal' for as long as possible. Just my .02

I guess my only concern, is the warranty issue. As has been discussed in other threads, you can flash it back to the orig tune, but unless you can run it (say there is a engine starting issue) to get it to show different RPM's in the ECU, it would look weird to the dealer that it was completely empty, and they may question it and deny warranty coverage due to modification.

Myself, I am going the safe way for now, and just getting the 90hp 2up IBR model, and will wait till the warranty is up before messing with it. To me, the peace of mind is worth it, but to others it may not matter as much. I've been lurking around seeing how expensive these things are to repair out of warranty, so I'd like to keep mine 'legal' for as long as possible. Just my .02

Yeah, this is probably the only thing causing me to maybe just buy the 90 to begin with lol.

With the hand held tuner you can just flash it back to the stock tune.

With the hand held tuner you can just flash it back to the stock tune.

True, but I thought I read someone post that if for whatever reason it can't be run, it would show that it is blank in the ECU, and that in itself could raise flags, and put the warranty in jeopardy. No idea if it is correct or not, but something to consider if the warranty is of primary concern. If not, the it's a non-issue. I'd love to get 20 more hp out of it, but at this time I can't chance losing the 4 yr extended factory warranty.

That could work.

Question about restoring the ECU to normal for warranty reasons - If you had a no start condition - Could you restore your ECU, slip it into another Spark, start and rev that engine for 30 seconds and then put it back into yours? Would that build enough data into the history that a dealer wouldn't be able to tell it had once been reflashed, or would 5 minutes of on water use be required?

In theory that would work. Technically a dealer cannot tell what tune you have.

True, but I thought I read someone post that if for whatever reason it can't be run, it would show that it is blank in the ECU, and that in itself could raise flags, and put the warranty in jeopardy. No idea if it is correct or not, but something to consider if the warranty is of primary concern. If not, the it's a non-issue. I'd love to get 20 more hp out of it, but at this time I can't chance losing the 4 yr extended factory warranty.

Not really very likely though...it's easy to clear the values and just having cleared values doesn't mean there are modifications. For instance, if another dealer cleared them after taking a look and you took it to your normal dealer, would you expect them to void the warranty? When diagnosing a ski, checking those values isn't very high on the list. They get paid by the job, and the idea is to get the job done as efficiently as possible (meaning not adding in unnecessary extra work).

What do you charge to load the tune into a Spark? When a better tune is out in a few months what is the fee to update?

If you have the $389 hand held tuner you can update with that. But looks like we are going to charge $50 with a deposit for renting out the tuner. Still working out the details on that, but I'll be posting soon (likely Monday) with more information.

I just purchased the 60 hp model and would be interested in this. I wanted to get the 90hp one but literally had no choice, I had to contact 15 dealers before I found one that had a spark at all.

I just purchased the 60 hp model and would be interested in this. I wanted to get the 90hp one but literally had no choice, I had to contact 15 dealers before I found one that had a spark at all.

PM me and I can shoot you the info on getting the tune. We now rent out the map tuner as well if you want that option.

PM me and I can shoot you the info on getting the tune. We now rent out the map tuner as well if you want that option.

Sounds good. I just want to ride it a bit in its stock form first and get through the break in. I have not even picked it up from the dealer yet. Just signed papers yesterday and will go next saturday to pick it up.

Back