Looking at 2003 Challenger 240 v6

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mw3designs

Ok, so the family has been wanting a small boat for a while and tomorrow I’m looking at a 2003 Challenger with the 240 efi v6 Merc. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this year / model / engine? What specific things should I look for prior to purchase? I had a bad boat experience once already, and don’t want to get burned.

These boats are excellent... which model Challenger are you looking at? In 2003 they had 3... 1800, 2000 and X. They are all fairly similar. The 1800 is 18’ long, the 2000 is 20’ long and the X is also 20’ long, but has a ski tower and some ballast sacks (I believe). They all seat 7, and have the same engine Mercury 240 EFI. I think they could have the 250HP OptiMax as an optional engine that year?

I would inspect the condition of the hull.... get right under it and look for cracks or repairs? Then check the condition of the seats. Then check the driver controls: gauges and buttons to make sure they all work and illuminate. The engine should start quickly and easily with EFI. And then take it for a test drive... should be able to get 50+mph. Take a look in the engine compartment, see if it’s clean.

I’m sure others on this forum will chime in with other recommendations... lots of experienced owners here.

Pretty sure it’s the Challenger 2000

bb820b2d6ef54fb8ba4cf4b7ba80e8af.jpg

Anyone else have any input?

While you are down there looking at the hull, look up into the pump intake at the impeller. Looking for blade leading edge damage. It can (usually) be repaired, but is just more work.
BEFORE you take the boat for a test drive, look for oil leaks at the forward end of the impeller shaft. Signs of oil from the stator.
Engine should start easily and reach 6000rpm.

Well, I passed in this one..... lots of little things here and there that were broken, every hood latch, rear engine cover latch broke, bungee cords holding things down, rpm gauge broken reading 1,000 rpm when off, just had a bad feeling.....

Yep, understood... if you’re not into doing a fix-up / restoration, even though, the things you listed don’t sound major! Then you are probably safer looking for one that is closer to perfect condition! The issue is that they are fewer and farther between... and the price goes up dramatically! So you have to try and balance price, condition and what things you are willing to fix.

Yep, understood... if you’re not into doing a fix-up / restoration, even though, the things you listed don’t sound major! Then you are probably safer looking for one that is closer to perfect condition! The issue is that they are fewer and farther between... and the price goes up dramatically! So you have to try and balance price, condition and what things you are willing to fix.

It was more of a neglect thing. If the owners not willing to fix the small stuff, then what about the rest of it?

Agreed, if the price is still within your budget... then I would always recommend trying to find a well cared for gem.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the 4-Tec Supercharged engines? Looking at a couple newer challengers with that engine.

The thing is... these are boats... not cars. Even a boat that is a few years old... if used hard, and put away wet... can have major issues... but look nice. So, please keep that in mind.

The modern 4-stroke engines are great... but they have their issue too. The superchargers need rebuilt often, and it's not an easy thing to do. Back in the day, they had ceramic slipper washers, and when they failed... it would wipe out the engine. Also... the maintenance is more work. You really have to keep an eye on the top end, and make sure the valves don't stretch. If they are... you need to rebuild to topend before they fail.

So... what am I trying to say?? Look at any boat with an eye for price:what's broke. So, and older boat with a new engine... but needs some cleaning, and fixing of things like latches could be a much better value than a 4 year old boat, that looks nice, but has questionable maintenance.

I understand the theory. I’m just not familiar with the Rotax 4-tec motor on the newer Seadoo, and I just need some insight on what to watch out for engine and drive wise when buying. Also what is the recommended hours for rebuilding the supercharger?

I am looking at another, seller sent me some pics, can you tell me if there something missing here? I can tell there’s an engine cover missing, but this looks like a cap is missing also?

00929418fcdac143089f4ae1a9d2174c.jpg

I am looking at another, seller sent me some pics, can you tell me if there something missing here? I can tell there’s an engine cover missing, but this looks like a cap is missing also?

00929418fcdac143089f4ae1a9d2174c.jpg
Looks like a dust cap for a fuel rail pressure gauge test port, but I'm guessing from similar automotive applications, i don't really know in this case.

I would have gone with the challenger 2000. Horrible color choice for the new interior vinyl though. lmao. not sure what they were thinking there. I’m still laughing. Worst color choice ever. Nice job, just that color. Lol

Well, I passed in this one..... lots of little things here and there that were broken, every hood latch, rear engine cover latch broke, bungee cords holding things down, rpm gauge broken reading 1,000 rpm when off, just had a bad feeling.....
What state was this in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back